From: Vassil Nikolov
Subject: attack of the horrible lispers!!!!!!
I found this on a blog earlier today, which does not seem to exist any
more, but I had saved a copy.  The text was unsigned, and there were
no indications about time or location:

  Something horrible happened...  Late at night, I was attacked in the
  street by three people wearing ski-masks; the one who seemed to be
  in charge had on his lapel a little violet badge with a black circle
  in the middle in which the Greek small letter lambda was written in
  white in a rather curvy font face.  They threatened me in terms I
  dare not repeat (suffice it to say that cutting off my mouse cable
  was mentioned) if I ever inserted an operator symbol in between two
  operands, or failed to surround an expression in parentheses.  I
  managed to calm them down a little by quoting verbatim the
  requirements for implementing ARITHMETIC-IF as a macro, but they
  only let me go after I told them the non-destructive equivalent of
  NRECONC as well.  Then they bid me to not breathe a word about this
  matter to anyone; as they disappeared in the night, I saw that the
  backs of their jackets bore, in large block letters, "LISPERS.ORG".

  I am writing an account of this incident in green ink on a Hollerith
  card and placing it at the beginning of Chapter 20 of my copy of CLtL,
  just in case.

---Vassil,
a most sincere flatterer...

--
The truly good code is the obviously correct code.