From: Peter Herth
Subject: Re: Beginners questions
anders wrote:
> I have a projekt, to make a program helping my son learn English.
>
> The projekt is very simple and can be done esy in eg. Java, but
> i am trying to learn LISP and i learn best when writing "real code".
>
> i am using MAC
> my Son has Windows XP
>
> Now i have a Amerikan att work how would have use for the program
> to (if i turn the programs funktion around)
>
> Problem all my user must have grafik GUI
> None of my user know how to install LISP and ev. library for grafisk.
>
> So may question i short
> 1. Witch GUI stuff is easyest and support both MAC/Intel and Windows
> 2, Is there a easy way to make a install package to send
>
> I know i can use LispWorks and Allergo CL but i don't have the money.
>
> And advice, would be nice
>
> // Anders

Ltk runs happily on the Mac and under Windows. You could either try
CLISP or SBCL. I have used both with Ltk under Windows and on the Mac.

Peter

--
Ltk, the easy lisp gui http://www.peter-herth.de/ltk/

From: anders
Lets se if i have understand this correct then.

If i write my program in LISP let say SBCL
and use LTK as GUI

The user of my program have to install
Tcl/TK
SBCL
LTK
and ofcurse my program

Is this corrent understanded ?
// Anders

From: ···············@gmail.com
On Jun 3, 9:54 pm, anders <················@gmail.com> wrote:
> Lets se if i have understand this correct then.
> If i write my program in LISP let say SBCL
> and use LTK as GUI
> The user of my program have to install
> Tcl/TK
> SBCL
> LTK
> and ofcurse my program
> Is this corrent understanded ?

Essentially that's correct but there are ways to simplify this to the
point that your user may have to install nothing beyond your program.

First of all you could bundle SBCL itself and your source in an
archive file, providing a batch file / shell script to start up SBCL
and 'load' your code. You could bundle LTK with this too (LTK is nice
in that it can also just be 'loaded').

You could create an image file with your code and LTK already
installed. See sb-ext:save-lisp-and-die.

With SBCL you can also create a stand alone executable by
passing :executable t to sb-ext:save-lisp-and-die.

The only tricky bit will be Tk (and therefore Tcl) which your user
will need to install (although it's trivial on Windows and Linux so
probably just as easy on Mac).

Peter told me that there is a minimal Tcl/Tk distribution which you
can include with your project. It might be this one http://www.evolane.com/software/etcl/
but I'm not sure as I've never tried it.

So in theory one download of your program and between zero and one
other things that your users would need to install make it even
simpler than distributing a Java application :-)

Phil
http://phil.nullable.eu/
From: Øyvin Halfdan Thuv
In article <························@o5g2000hsb.googlegroups.com>,
···············@gmail.com wrote:

(...)

>Essentially that's correct but there are ways to simplify this to the
>point that your user may have to install nothing beyond your program.

(...)

>The only tricky bit will be Tk (and therefore Tcl) which your user
>will need to install (although it's trivial on Windows and Linux so
>probably just as easy on Mac).

MacOSX includes Tk.

--
Oyvin
From: Peter Herth
Hi Phil,

···············@gmail.com wrote:

> Peter told me that there is a minimal Tcl/Tk distribution which you
> can include with your project. It might be this one http://www.evolane.com/software/etcl/
> but I'm not sure as I've never tried it.

I was talking about tclkit which doesn't even need an installer:
http://www.equi4.com/tclkit/

Peter

--
Ltk, the easy lisp gui http://www.peter-herth.de/ltk/