From: ·········@gmail.com
Subject: Need some help.
It's a pleasant time in reading the basic parts of 'Practical
Lisp' (the first twenty-two chapters) as its clear and straightforward
explanasion of every aspect of CL, however, things became difficult
after that.

I mean the 'practical' chapters are not clear enough for me who wants
to get some programming experience from this book and is still not
familiar with some important methods in common lisp program design.

For instance, chapter 24 talks about how to parse an binary file. Even
at the very end of this chapter, i'm still in confusion: why should i
introduce this function, is there any benefit? Why should i choose
this hierarchy of functions/classes?

In my opionion, Common Lisp is a flexible language, there always are
many distinct ways to realize a same function, so i want to know why
when a choice is made. However, from the last several chapters, I can
not get this kind information. It seems that the author payed his
major attention to explan how a function works, and how to extend this
function to fit for the situation.

So, i'd like to learn more books or online material about the
practical usage of lisp or a way to learn. Hope you can help
me...Thanks!

From: anders
Subject: Re: Need some help.
Hi!
I have download and looked att th course video from www.franz.com
ofcurse they talk about there produkt Allegro CL 8, but i have
used CLISP + SLIME + EMACS and it works fine also.

The course have 3 * 2 hour course, slides in PDF is there also.

After each section there is "homework" and next part of the course
starts with talking about the homework.

I like this more in the beginning becurse a the "talk aorund" that
i thout explane more way, test it, it was free.

// Anders

From: Rainer Joswig
In article <························@x35g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
 ··········@gmail.com" <·········@gmail.com> wrote:

> It's a pleasant time in reading the basic parts of 'Practical
> Lisp' (the first twenty-two chapters) as its clear and straightforward
> explanasion of every aspect of CL, however, things became difficult
> after that.
>
> I mean the 'practical' chapters are not clear enough for me who wants
> to get some programming experience from this book and is still not
> familiar with some important methods in common lisp program design.
>
> For instance, chapter 24 talks about how to parse an binary file. Even
> at the very end of this chapter, i'm still in confusion: why should i
> introduce this function, is there any benefit? Why should i choose
> this hierarchy of functions/classes?

Sometimes it is the bottom-up approach that puzzles a bit.
In a top-down approach you work down from the big picture.
In the bottom-up approach you get little code and data snippets
working and play around with them. You add more functionality
while you are using it. Sometimes you need to 'refactor'
a bit or you need to expand sketches of code that were
earlier done. During this process the code is partially
working and you are constantly thinking about improving
bits and pieces. Lisp makes it easy to play around with
design alternatives (should it be a class or a function?
what kind of class do you need?). That's what I usually
do. Often I'm trying out various alternatives.
So the design choices are often based on 'let's see how
it should look like and how I can implement it'. If
it is good enough, fine. If not, another design iteration
follows.

> In my opionion, Common Lisp is a flexible language, there always are
> many distinct ways to realize a same function, so i want to know why
> when a choice is made. However, from the last several chapters, I can
> not get this kind information. It seems that the author payed his
> major attention to explan how a function works, and how to extend this
> function to fit for the situation.

If you have a question about a chapter of the book,
why not post the question here?
You may even get some answers/explanations. ;-)

> So, i'd like to learn more books or online material about the
> practical usage of lisp or a way to learn. Hope you can help
> me...Thanks!

There are some other introductory books. For example:

Common Lisp: A Gentle Introduction to Symbolic Computation
David S. Touretzky
http://www-cgi.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs.cmu.edu/user/dst/www/LispBook/index.html

More examples here:
Lisp, 3rd Edition by Winston/Horn

More and longer examples here:
More advanced: Paradigms of Artificial Intelligence Programming
by Peter Norvig

--
http://lispm.dyndns.org
From: Slobodan Blazeski
On Jul 29, 12:33 pm, ··········@gmail.com" <·········@gmail.com>
wrote:
> It's a pleasant time in reading the basic parts of 'Practical
> Lisp' (the first twenty-two chapters) as its clear and straightforward
> explanasion of every aspect of CL, however, things became difficult
> after that.
>
> I mean the 'practical' chapters are not clear enough for me who wants
> to get some programming experience from this book and is still not
> familiar with some important methods in common lisp program design.
>
> For instance, chapter 24 talks about how to parse an binary file. Even
> at the very end of this chapter, i'm still in confusion: why should i
> introduce this function, is there any benefit? Why should i choose
> this hierarchy of functions/classes?
>
> In my opionion, Common Lisp is a flexible language, there always are
> many distinct ways to realize a same function, so i want to know why
> when a choice is made. However, from the last several chapters, I can
> not get this kind information. It seems that the author payed his
> major attention to explan how a function works, and how to extend this
> function to fit for the situation.
>
> So, i'd like to learn more books or online material about the
> practical usage of lisp or a way to learn. Hope you can help
> me...Thanks!

PCL assumes that you're already experienced in some other language and
you just want to get on creating applications with lisp. If you want
something else you should look at below:
1. Gentle introduction  to symbolic computation
http://www-cgi.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs.cmu.edu/user/dst/www/LispBook/index.html
2  Succesfull Common lisp http://www.psg.com/~dlamkins/sl/contents.html
3. Loving lisp http://www.markwatson.com/opencontent/
4. COMMON LISP: An Interactive Approach http://www.cse.buffalo.edu/~shapiro/Commonlisp/
5. interpreting lisp http://www.civilized.com/LispBook/
6. On lisp http://www.paulgraham.com/onlisp.html
All of them available for free . Check them and see if someone fit the
bill.If you want to spend some money than I suggest to look at Grahams
Ansi Common Lisp.   Lisp by Winston & Horn might be nice too but I go
less than halfway through so I'm still not ready to comment.