From: Zak Wilson
Subject: WXCL on Linux - anybody got it working?
I'm in search of that elusive well-documented cross-platform, native-
looking easy-to-use GUI library for Lisp. I think we're all aware that
it doesn't exist, but WXCL should at least be cross-platform and
native-looking.

Has anybody managed to get it working on Linux? I can't get the C++
code to compile, and I'm not sure if I'm missing something obvious or
if it's broken. I've converted all the source files from DOS to Unix
format. All the development files for wxwidgets 2.6 and wxgtk 2.6 are
installed.  The error that's stopping the compile seems to be:

./include/wrapper.h:473: error: conversion from 'char*' to 'const
 wxString' is ambiguous
/usr/include/wx-2.6/wx/string.h:643: note: candidates are: wxStri
ng::wxString(wxChar, size_t) <near match>
/usr/include/wx-2.6/wx/string.h:633: note:                 wxStri
ng::wxString(int) <near match>
./include/wrapper.h: At global scope:
./include/wrapper.h:533: error: default argument for parameter of
 type 'const wxString&' has type 'const char [11]'
src/apppath.cpp: In function 'wxString GetApplicationDir()':
src/apppath.cpp:85: error: cannot convert 'const char*' to 'const
 wxChar*' for argument '1' to 'wxChar* wxGetenv(const wxChar*)'
make: *** [build/release/apppath.o] Error 1

Looking through the code, it seems to be trying to assign string
literals to variables of type 'wxString' here and in a couple other
places. I don't know my way around the innards of wxwidgets, so
debugging this myself is probably beyond me. It seems like this should
be an error on all platforms, but the author claims the library works
on Windows and Mac OS. Has anybody gotten it working on Linux?

From: Matthias Benkard
Subject: Re: WXCL on Linux - anybody got it working?
Hi,

> src/apppath.cpp:85: error: cannot convert 'const char*' to 'const
>  wxChar*' for argument '1' to 'wxChar* wxGetenv(const wxChar*)'
> make: *** [build/release/apppath.o] Error 1

Just making a wild guess, but I think I've had problems like that with
Unicode-enabled builds of wxWidgets before (wxChar is not compatible
with char in that case).  If that's the problem, it probably means
that wxCL is not Unicode-safe.

Mata ne,
Matthias
From: Zak Wilson
From: Ken Tilton
Zak Wilson wrote:
> I'm in search of that elusive well-documented cross-platform, native-
> looking easy-to-use GUI library for Lisp. I think we're all aware that...

...you need to stop putting your questions in the form of answers.

kenny
From: Thomas F. Burdick
On Jul 25, 10:24 pm, Zak Wilson <··········@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm in search of that elusive well-documented cross-platform, native-
> looking easy-to-use GUI library for Lisp. I think we're all aware that
> it doesn't exist, but WXCL should at least be cross-platform and
> native-looking.

It seems rather that you aren't aware of Ltk nor Capi.  For the later,
ask Lispworks for help.  For the former, grab yourself a reasonably
modern copy of Tcl/Tk, and ask your questions on the Ltk mailing list.

Tk looks pretty much right on Windows and Mac OS X.  As for X11 ... as
a Mac user, I don't know what the hell "native-looking" is supposed to
be referring to there; but, in addition to the "classic" look (butt-
ugly, fitting right into your CDE environment), Tk supports the 1001
fugly themes that seem to make up a modern Linux desktop.

All that is a rather tongue-in-cheek way of saying, yes, it looks
native; you might need to look at Tile; ask on the list.  Ltk
integrates fully into CLOS (look, ma, multiple dispatch and multiple
inheritance!), and gives you Lispy access to Tk, which is a pretty
powerful toolkit, as those things go.  You'll need to get the hang of
Tk, especially its layout managers (pack, grid, oh my!) but it's not
that hard, and that's a part of *any* toolkit.

Check it out, it's not the Be All End All of lisp GUIs, it's more like
asdf: easy to use and gets the job done, letting you get on with your
interesting work.
From: Zak Wilson
It does appear to be a unicode problem. Thanks, Matthias. I'm
compiling a non-unicode version now.

> It seems rather that you aren't aware of Ltk nor Capi.  For the later,
> ask Lispworks for help.  For the former, grab yourself a reasonably
> modern copy of Tcl/Tk, and ask your questions on the Ltk mailing list.

I left out free. I'm not opposed, in principle to paying for quality
tools. If I can turn my project in to a product and sell a few copies,
buying LW Pro wouldn't be a problem, but I think I'd have to buy LW
Pro first if I wanted to release a product built on Capi. I'd *like*
to do that, but I can't afford to.

I was unaware that Tk supported native interfaces on Mac and Windows.
Everything I've used that I knew was Tk used the classic theme.
"Native" for *nix is meaningless. Ideally, it would use Gtk. If WXCL
doesn't work out for me, Ltk will be the next thing I try.