From: Mark Tarver
Subject: is anybody experiencing problems with this group?
I'm seeing no post after 17th July and all my posts go into limbo.
I'm hoping this gets through.

Mark

From: Ken Tilton
Mark Tarver wrote:
> I'm seeing no post after 17th July and all my posts go into limbo.
> I'm hoping this gets through.

How will you know?

hth,kxo
From: Mark Tarver
On 19 Jul, 07:00, Ken Tilton <···········@optonline.net> wrote:
> Mark Tarver wrote:
> > I'm seeing no post after 17th July and all my posts go into limbo.
> > I'm hoping this gets through.
>
> How will you know?
>
> hth,kxo

Cos people read my message and told me.

Mark
From: Ken Tilton
Mark Tarver wrote:
> On 19 Jul, 07:00, Ken Tilton <···········@optonline.net> wrote:
>
>>Mark Tarver wrote:
>>
>>>I'm seeing no post after 17th July and all my posts go into limbo.
>>>I'm hoping this gets through.
>>
>>How will you know?
>>
>>hth,kxo
>

> Cos people read my message and told me.

I was laughing at your assertion that your posts were going into limbo
in the same sentence saying you had seen no posts at all after the 17th,
the two conjoined with "and". I think we have another case of set theory
deficiency, been a lot of that going around in the Lisp community.

hth,kzo
From: Mark Tarver
On 19 Jul, 23:48, Ken Tilton <···········@optonline.net> wrote:
> Mark Tarver wrote:

> >>How will you know?
>
> >>hth,kxo
>
> > Cos people read my message and told me.
>
> I was laughing at your assertion that your posts were going into limbo
> in the same sentence saying you had seen no posts at all after the 17th,
> the two conjoined with "and". I think we have another case of set theory
> deficiency, been a lot of that going around in the Lisp community.
>
> hth,kzo

Well its not really dumb you know.  I suspected that what I was seeing
was a lie and if so somebody would write back and tell me "Yes, we can
view you, don't believe your screen".  That's exactly what did happen.

I've had posts just vanish for no reason and never appear on this
group; but never with such an unnannounced major malfunction as this.
Vanishing posts are not unusual.

It looks as if Google have now caught up with today, so that I am in
real time again.  But I won't trust them again, thats for sure.

Mark
From: Tamas Papp
Mark Tarver <··········@ukonline.co.uk> writes:

> I'm seeing no post after 17th July and all my posts go into limbo.
> I'm hoping this gets through.

Hi Mark,

I see no problems.  I recommend news.individual.net, they have a low
yearly subscription fee and I find them very reliable.

Tamas
From: Pillsy
On Jul 18, 5:05 pm, Mark Tarver <··········@ukonline.co.uk> wrote:
> I'm seeing no post after 17th July and all my posts go into limbo.
> I'm hoping this gets through.

I sent three or four messages yesterday that didn't turn up until
today.

Cheers,
Pillsy
From: Jon Harrop
Yes. I've been finding the people here very slow.

OCaml for Scientists
http://www.ffconsultancy.com/products/ocaml_for_scientists/?usenet
From: Kaz Kylheku
On Jul 19, 3:01 am, Jon Harrop <····@ffconsultancy.com> wrote:
> Yes. I've been finding the people here very slow.

And yet you continue to crave their acceptance, in the face of bitter
rejection.
From: Kaz Kylheku
On Jul 18, 2:05 pm, Mark Tarver <··········@ukonline.co.uk> wrote:
> I'm seeing no post after 17th July and all my posts go into limbo.
> I'm hoping this gets through.

That's because you are using Google Groups. There is nothing wrong
with Usenet itself.

This isn't really the right forum to be discussing Google Groups
issues.
From: Mirko Vukovic
"Kaz Kylheku" <········@gmail.com> wrote in message
·····························@g4g2000hsf.googlegroups.com...
> On Jul 18, 2:05 pm, Mark Tarver <··········@ukonline.co.uk> wrote:
>> I'm seeing no post after 17th July and all my posts go into limbo.
>> I'm hoping this gets through.
>
> That's because you are using Google Groups. There is nothing wrong
> with Usenet itself.
>
> This isn't really the right forum to be discussing Google Groups
> issues.

Just to confirm, I have the same problem with Google Groups. And I thought
it was the firewall on my business laptop.

(I realize this is off-topic, but if it can reduce confusion it may be
worthwile. For example I posted two replies to a topic,

because the first one was not visible in Google Groups even after a few
days.)

Mirko
From: Mark Tarver
On 19 Jul, 19:46, "Mirko Vukovic" <········@nycap.rr.com> wrote:
> "Kaz Kylheku" <········@gmail.com> wrote in message
>
> ·····························@g4g2000hsf.googlegroups.com...
>
> > On Jul 18, 2:05 pm, Mark Tarver <··········@ukonline.co.uk> wrote:
> >> I'm seeing no post after 17th July and all my posts go into limbo.
> >> I'm hoping this gets through.
>
> > That's because you are using Google Groups. There is nothing wrong
> > with Usenet itself.
>
> > This isn't really the right forum to be discussing Google Groups
> > issues.
>
> Just to confirm, I have the same problem with Google Groups. And I thought
> it was the firewall on my business laptop.
>
> (I realize this is off-topic, but if it can reduce confusion it may be
> worthwile. For example I posted two replies to a topic,
>
> because the first one was not visible in Google Groups even after a few
> days.)
>
> Mirko

I don't think its off-topic because a lot of people are reliant on
this technology to access this group.  I also thought something
majorly wrong had happened but didn't know what.

Its really very poor that Google should experience a loss of service
for > 24 hours and post bugger all about it leaving thousands of poor
boobs to figure out whats gone wrong firing multiple posts into space
before the penny drops.

Not even a "We apologise for the inconvenience and are working ...."
message which costs them nothing.  I assumed any responsible provider
would do at least this much. They should be taking the flak here; not
the users.

At least if people are aware that Google can do this, then in the
event that they read this thread and the same happens again, people
will know what's afoot and not waste their energy.

Mark
From: Slobodan Blazeski
On Jul 20, 12:35 am, Mark Tarver <··········@ukonline.co.uk> wrote:
> On 19 Jul, 19:46, "Mirko Vukovic" <········@nycap.rr.com> wrote:
>

> > "Kaz Kylheku" <········@gmail.com> wrote in message
>
> >·····························@g4g2000hsf.googlegroups.com...

> > > That's because you are using Google Groups. There is nothing wrong
> > > with Usenet itself.
>
> > > This isn't really the right forum to be discussing Google Groups
> > > issues.
>
> > Just to confirm, I have the same problem with Google Groups. And I thought
> > it was the firewall on my business laptop.
>
> > (I realize this is off-topic, but if it can reduce confusion it may be
> > worthwile. For example I posted two replies to a topic,
>
> > because the first one was not visible in Google Groups even after a few
> > days.)
>
> > Mirko
>
> I don't think its off-topic because a lot of people are reliant on
> this technology to access this group.

I'll support that.

> I also thought something
> majorly wrong had happened but didn't know what.
>
> Its really very poor that Google should experience a loss of service
> for > 24 hours and post bugger all about it leaving thousands of poor
> boobs to figure out whats gone wrong firing multiple posts into space
> before the penny drops.
>
> Not even a "We apologise for the inconvenience and are working ...."
> message which costs them nothing.  I assumed any responsible provider
> would do at least this much. They should be taking the flak here; not
> the users.
>
> At least if people are aware that Google can do this, then in the
> event that they read this thread and the same happens again, people
> will know what's afoot and not waste their energy.
>
> Mark- Hide quoted text -

Something really sucks with google groups this week.
From: Rainer Joswig
In article <························@22g2000hsm.googlegroups.com>,
 Mark Tarver <··········@ukonline.co.uk> wrote:

> On 19 Jul, 19:46, "Mirko Vukovic" <········@nycap.rr.com> wrote:
> > "Kaz Kylheku" <········@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > ·····························@g4g2000hsf.googlegroups.com...

> > > That's because you are using Google Groups. There is nothing wrong
> > > with Usenet itself.
> >
> > > This isn't really the right forum to be discussing Google Groups
> > > issues.
> >
> > Just to confirm, I have the same problem with Google Groups. And I thought
> > it was the firewall on my business laptop.
> >
> > (I realize this is off-topic, but if it can reduce confusion it may be
> > worthwile. For example I posted two replies to a topic,
> >
> > because the first one was not visible in Google Groups even after a few
> > days.)
> >
> > Mirko
>
> I don't think its off-topic because a lot of people are reliant on
> this technology to access this group.  I also thought something
> majorly wrong had happened but didn't know what.
>
> Its really very poor that Google should experience a loss of service
> for > 24 hours and post bugger all about it leaving thousands of poor
> boobs to figure out whats gone wrong firing multiple posts into space
> before the penny drops.
>
> Not even a "We apologise for the inconvenience and are working ...."
> message which costs them nothing.  I assumed any responsible provider
> would do at least this much. They should be taking the flak here; not
> the users.
>
> At least if people are aware that Google can do this, then in the
> event that they read this thread and the same happens again, people
> will know what's afoot and not waste their energy.
>
> Mark

I would propose to use a different approach to access Usenet.
Try using a NNTP client and a Usenet provider. Works
fine. I only use Google Groups sometimes for reading. Not much
for posting, since it sucks.

Especially for writing posts, forget Google Groups.

GNUS for Emacs is popular, though a bit over-featured and
from a usability stand point it excels at using the Emacs
interfaces - which is bad.

--
http://lispm.dyndns.org
From: Stefan Scholl
Mark Tarver <··········@ukonline.co.uk> wrote:
> I'm seeing no post after 17th July and all my posts go into limbo.
> I'm hoping this gets through.

Maybe Google wants to prevent you from spamming?

No, I will not buy his book! I won't even buy any O'Caml book at
all.