From: www
Subject: seeking book recommendation for learning Lisp
Hi,

I am a Java programmer. I have heard a lot saying that "Learn Lisp and
your rest of days will be different ..."

I want to learn Lisp. Can you recommend me any book?

Thank you.

From: www
Thank you very much.

I have one more question. Which compiler or where can I download the
compiler? I am using Window XP.

Many thanks.
From: Carl
www <···@nospam.com> writes:

> Thank you very much.
>
> I have one more question. Which compiler or where can I download the
> compiler? I am using Window XP.
>
> Many thanks.

I think this should get you started quickly:
http://common-lisp.net/project/lispbox/

Also, as I don't believe anyone has yet suggested it...
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/LispBook/index.html

Hope that helps,
Carl.
From: Slobodan Blazeski
On Jul 17, 10:04 pm, www <····@nospam.com> wrote:
> Thank you very much.
>
> I have one more question. Which compiler or where can I download the
> compiler? I am using Window XP.
>
> Many thanks.

Free implementations :
http://clisp.cons.org/
http://ecls.sourceforge.net/
http://sbcl.sourceforge.net/
http://armedbear.org/abcl.html

Vendors :
http://www.franz.com/
http://www.lispworks.com/
http://www.cormanlisp.com/

Vendors free  editions with some limitations (like heap size etc):
http://www.lispworks.com/products/lispworks.html#personal
http://franz.com/downloads/

 whatever you choose will do for learning.
From: Tassilo Horn
www <···@nospam.com> writes:

Hi,

> I am a Java programmer. I have heard a lot saying that "Learn Lisp and
> your rest of days will be different ..."
>
> I want to learn Lisp. Can you recommend me any book?

I would start with Practical Common Lisp by Peter Seibel. You can get it
for free at http://www.gigamonkeys.com/book/.

Bye,
Tassilo
From: Rainer Joswig
In article <··············@baldur.tsdh.de>,
 Tassilo Horn <··········@fastmail.fm> wrote:

> www <···@nospam.com> writes:
>
> Hi,
>
> > I am a Java programmer. I have heard a lot saying that "Learn Lisp and
> > your rest of days will be different ..."
> >
> > I want to learn Lisp. Can you recommend me any book?
>
> I would start with Practical Common Lisp by Peter Seibel. You can get it
> for free at http://www.gigamonkeys.com/book/.

There is also a nicely printed version. It is also quite
affordable.

Peter has the privilege of having satisfied readers who
are doing the advertising for him. :-)

--
http://lispm.dyndns.org
From: Daniel Leidisch
www <···@nospam.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I am a Java programmer. I have heard a lot saying that "Learn Lisp and
> your rest of days will be different ..."
>
> I want to learn Lisp. Can you recommend me any book?

Peter Seibel's "Practical Common Lisp":
http://www.gigamonkeys.com/book

And the Hyperspec as an invaluable reference:
http://www.lispworks.com/documentation/common-lisp.html

You may also want to check out "On Lisp" and CLtL2. All of
those are free, as in beer.

Regards,

dhl

From: ··············@gmail.com

Practical Common Lisp.  http://www.gigamonkeys.com/book/
From: Edward
On Jul 17, 9:35 am, www <····@nospam.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am a Java programmer. I have heard a lot saying that "Learn Lisp and
> your rest of days will be different ..."
>
> I want to learn Lisp. Can you recommend me any book?
>
> Thank you.

Peter Siebel's "Practical Common Lisp" is certainly one of the best
recent efforts to make Lisp accessible to the uninitiated.  I'm
working through that one myself.  However,  I've found "The Little
Lisper" to be an indispensable companion to PCL.  The simple exercises
presented by Daniel P. Friedman and Matthias Felleisen are a
refreshing counterpoint to Siebel's more conventional treatment of the
subject.  Although Siebel does a superb job relating information about
the history,  capabilities,  and major features of Common Lisp,
Friedman and Felleisen's simple question-and-answer examples draw you
right to the heart of key Lisp concepts like recursion.

Edward
From: ··········@hotmail.com
A few notes to avoid confusion.

1) "Common Lisp" is an "Lisp" dialect. "Common Lisp" is hereafter
shorthanded to CL.
2) You probably want CL, else look at Scheme which also is an Lisp
dialect.
3) There exist alot of CL implementations, whereas for perl, ruby and
python there
   is only one (atleast canonical).

4) Clisp -- compiles to bytecode and runs on alot of platforms,
   to get a quick feeling of CL, try this first.
   Especially check out the practical guide LISP-tutorial.txt that
comes
   with Clisp:
   http://clisp.cvs.sourceforge.net/clisp/clisp/doc/LISP-tutorial.txt?revision=1.4&view=markup

   Get clisp from http://clisp.cons.org

5) SBCL -- compiles to machine code.
   Get sbcl from http://www.sbcl.org

6) When you are addicted (you will :) download emacs and slime and
connect those
   to your lisp.

happy lisping :)
From: Slobodan Blazeski
On Jul 17, 6:35 pm, www <····@nospam.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am a Java programmer. I have heard a lot saying that "Learn Lisp and
> your rest of days will be different ..."
>
> I want to learn Lisp.

Wait, wait. Did anybody said to you that after learning lisp
programming in java/c#/c++/c/delphi/ would be painfull at least .
Noone ? Well I just did, so don't say that we didn't warned you.
From: Dave Baum
In article <············@news.nems.noaa.gov>, www <···@nospam.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am a Java programmer. I have heard a lot saying that "Learn Lisp and
> your rest of days will be different ..."
>
> I want to learn Lisp. Can you recommend me any book?
>
> Thank you.

If your goal is to learn Lisp in order to think differently about
computer programming in general, then I'd suggest "Structure and
Interpretation of Computer Programs", which is available here:

http://mitpress.mit.edu/sicp/full-text/book/book.html

It uses Scheme rather than Common Lisp, but I think it does an excellent
job teaching many fundamental programming concepts.  I recommend that
book to anyone serious about computer programming even if they never
plan on programming in Lisp.

After working through SICP, there are still some noteworthy things about
Common Lisp that can expand your programming horizons, but I feel that
SICP's solid handling of fundamental concepts justifies starting with
Scheme then moving to Common Lisp later on.

On the other hand, if your goal is to learn to program in Common Lisp
right away, then the other resources mentioned in previous posts (such
as "Practical Common Lisp") are much more suitable.

Dave