From: ·············@gmail.com
Subject: trying to append a subdirectory to a path with merge-pathnames
Hello group,

I just LOVE this group.  It has an ESP effect.  As I write the message
with the question, a possible answer appears to me even before I am
finished typing (and it turns out correct).  So it also beats the
special theory of relativity.

Cool.

Thanks a lot.

Mirko

(of course, it was a case of me not reading the documentation and
examples carefully enough and lisp's ai not catching my intent)

From: Ken Tilton
·············@gmail.com wrote:
> Hello group,

> I just LOVE this group.  It has an ESP effect.  As I write the message
> with the question, a possible answer appears to me even before I am
> finished typing (and it turns out correct).

Nonsense. Lisp is doing that, always turning out to work exactly as one
hopes, expects, or guesses because of years of refinement by great
developers now pushing out Java code or up daisies.

This NG is a frickin cesspool of Lisp burnouts who haven't written a
line of Lisp in anger in years and Lisp wannabes basking in the
reflected glory of a language thay have no intention of using.

kenny
From: Ari Johnson
Ken Tilton <···········@optonline.net> writes:
> This NG is a frickin cesspool of Lisp burnouts who haven't written a
> line of Lisp in anger in years and Lisp wannabes basking in the
> reflected glory of a language thay have no intention of using.

I never write a line of Lisp in anger - I'm afraid of what it might do.
From: Larry Clapp
On 2007-07-17, Ken Tilton <···········@optonline.net> wrote:
> ·············@gmail.com wrote:
>> Hello group,

>> I just LOVE this group.  It has an ESP effect.  As I write the
>> message with the question, a possible answer appears to me even
>> before I am finished typing (and it turns out correct).
>
> Nonsense. Lisp is doing that, always turning out to work exactly as
> one hopes, expects, or guesses because of years of refinement by
> great developers now pushing out Java code or up daisies.
>
> This NG is a frickin cesspool of Lisp burnouts who haven't written a
> line of Lisp in anger in years and Lisp wannabes basking in the
> reflected glory of a language thay have no intention of using.

I wrote some Lisp in anger a few days ago.  My wife needed a web page
scraped.  I installed several libraries that Just Worked (puri,
cl-ppcre, acl-compat, and cl-html-parse, and their dependencies),
wrote about 70 lines of Lisp (counting blank lines and comments),
saved her many hours of work, and had fun while I was at it.

Or, more succinctly:    :-ppp!

:)

But what do us dolts know anyway.
From: Ken Tilton
Larry Clapp wrote:
> On 2007-07-17, Ken Tilton <···········@optonline.net> wrote:
>
>>·············@gmail.com wrote:
>>
>>>Hello group,

>>>I just LOVE this group.  It has an ESP effect.  As I write the
>>>message with the question, a possible answer appears to me even
>>>before I am finished typing (and it turns out correct).
>>
>>Nonsense. Lisp is doing that, always turning out to work exactly as
>>one hopes, expects, or guesses because of years of refinement by
>>great developers now pushing out Java code or up daisies.
>>
>>This NG is a frickin cesspool of Lisp burnouts who haven't written a
>>line of Lisp in anger in years and Lisp wannabes basking in the
>>reflected glory of a language thay have no intention of using.
>

> I wrote some Lisp in anger a few days ago.  My wife needed a web page
> scraped.  I installed several libraries that Just Worked (puri,
> cl-ppcre, acl-compat, and cl-html-parse, and their dependencies),
> wrote about 70 lines of Lisp (counting blank lines and comments),
> saved her many hours of work, and had fun while I was at it.
>
> Or, more succinctly:    :-ppp!
>
> :)
>
> But what do us dolts know anyway.

70 lines?!

Three score less ten years ago your foremccarthy brought forth on our
CPUs this Lisp and you wanna call four score less ten lines serious
programming?

We almost agree.

hth,kny
From: Rainer Joswig
In article <························@d30g2000prg.googlegroups.com>,
 ·············@gmail.com wrote:

> Hello group,

> I just LOVE this group.  It has an ESP effect.  As I write the message
> with the question, a possible answer appears to me even before I am
> finished typing (and it turns out correct).  So it also beats the
> special theory of relativity.
>
> Cool.
>
> Thanks a lot.
>

> Mirko
>
> (of course, it was a case of me not reading the documentation and
> examples carefully enough and lisp's ai not catching my intent)

Better find the answer yourself, before Kenny answers... ;-)

--
http://lispm.dyndns.org