From: cerios
Subject: "style-warning: redefining xx in DEFUN"  ?
Hi,

I  have this ('scheme emulation') package

> (defpackage :mine
>   (:use :cl)
>   (:export
>      #:define
>      #:vector->list
>
> (in-package :mine)
> (defun vector->list (vec)
>   (coerce (the simple-vector vec) 'list))

On importing, I get lots of warnings like:
STYLE-WARNING: redefining VECTOR->LIST in DEFUN

This is in SBCL, but presumably I am doing something namespace related
that is general bad style.  .... is it evident what is wrong?

Thanks for any help

From: Rainer Joswig
Subject: Re: "style-warning: redefining xx in DEFUN"  ?
In article <····························@foreverorg>,
 cerios <········@forever.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I  have this ('scheme emulation') package
>
> > (defpackage :mine
> >   (:use :cl)
> >   (:export
> >      #:define
> >      #:vector->list
> >
> > (in-package :mine)
> > (defun vector->list (vec)
> >   (coerce (the simple-vector vec) 'list))
> >

> On importing, I get lots of warnings like:

What do you mean by 'importing'? Which operation are you using?

--
http://lispm.dyndns.org
From: Tamas Papp
cerios <········@forever.org> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I  have this ('scheme emulation') package
>
>> (defpackage :mine
>>   (:use :cl)
>>   (:export
>>      #:define
>>      #:vector->list
>>
>> (in-package :mine)
>> (defun vector->list (vec)
>>   (coerce (the simple-vector vec) 'list))
>>

> On importing, I get lots of warnings like:
> STYLE-WARNING: redefining VECTOR->LIST in DEFUN
>
> This is in SBCL, but presumably I am doing something namespace related
> that is general bad style.  .... is it evident what is wrong?
>
> Thanks for any help

I suppose that you get these warnings not the first time you are
importing something, but during development when you change the
functions and reload/recompile.  In this case, SBCL simply wants to
tell you that you have redefined a previously existing function, in
case you didn't want to do that.  If that's the case, you can ignore
it.

I find that SBCL is really picky and gives a lot of warnings, but I
have learned to appreciate them.  Wait until you run into defconstant,
though ;-) [1]

HTH,

Tamas

[1] http://www.sbcl.org/manual/Defining-Constants.html