From: cerios
Subject: package/ symbol conflict, probably a faq
Hello,

trying to update some lisp code that was created years ago.  It's CL,
but created
at a time when namespaces were not widely used.

I'm using SBCL, and cl-opengl.  At one point,

USE-PACKAGE #<PACKAGE "CL-OPENGL"> causes name-conflicts in
#<PACKAGE "COMMON-LISP-USER"> between the following symbols:
  CL-OPENGL:INT, SB-ALIEN:INT
   [Condition of type SB-INT:NAME-CONFLICT]

Is it possible to resolve this in the loading file, rather than
modifying the cl-opengl package?

No doubt a faq sort of question, but a quick read of several package
related web pages
did not resolve it for me.

From: Tamas Papp
Subject: Re: package/ symbol conflict, probably a faq
cerios <········@forever.org> writes:

> Hello,
>
> trying to update some lisp code that was created years ago.  It's CL,
> but created
> at a time when namespaces were not widely used.
>
> I'm using SBCL, and cl-opengl.  At one point,
>
> USE-PACKAGE #<PACKAGE "CL-OPENGL"> causes name-conflicts in
> #<PACKAGE "COMMON-LISP-USER"> between the following symbols:
>  CL-OPENGL:INT, SB-ALIEN:INT
>   [Condition of type SB-INT:NAME-CONFLICT]
>

> Is it possible to resolve this in the loading file, rather than
> modifying the cl-opengl package?
>
> No doubt a faq sort of question, but a quick read of several package
> related web pages
> did not resolve it for me.

I am not sure what you are doing, but you can rename the symbol to
something else in cl-opengl, or shadow it when imported.  PCL [1] was
very useful to me when learning about packages.

HTH,

Tamas

[1] http://gigamonkeys.com/book/programming-in-the-large-packages-and-symbols.html
From: Pascal Bourguignon
cerios <········@forever.org> writes:

> Hello,
>
> trying to update some lisp code that was created years ago.  It's CL,
> but created
> at a time when namespaces were not widely used.
>
> I'm using SBCL, and cl-opengl.  At one point,
>
> USE-PACKAGE #<PACKAGE "CL-OPENGL"> causes name-conflicts in
> #<PACKAGE "COMMON-LISP-USER"> between the following symbols:
>  CL-OPENGL:INT, SB-ALIEN:INT
>   [Condition of type SB-INT:NAME-CONFLICT]
>

> Is it possible to resolve this in the loading file, rather than
> modifying the cl-opengl package?

Yes.  Jump to a time where the namespaces are widely used!

Don't stay in CL-USER, create your own package!

(defpackage "MYSTUFF" (:use "COMMON-LISP" "CL-OPENGL"))
(in-pacakge "MYSTUFF")

NOTE: The most fundamental particles in this product are held
together by a "gluing" force about which little is currently known
and whose adhesive power can therefore not be permanently
guaranteed.