From: pfisk
Subject: Replacing Xaml with Lisp on Windows Vista
I have posted an example of using Lisp instead of Xaml to display
graphics on Windows Vista and IE7.

http://vistascript.net/vistascript/docuwiki/doku.php

Some of the background discussion
http://vistasmalltalk.wordpress.com/tag/lisp/

The free downloads for Windows Vista
http://vistascript.net/vistascript/docuwiki/doku.php?
id=general:downloads

-- Peter Fisk

From: ······@gmail.com
Subject: Re: Replacing Xaml with Lisp on Windows Vista
From: pfisk
On Jan 30, 4:49 am, ······@gmail.com wrote:
> On Jan 29, 11:53 pm, "pfisk" <··········@gmail.com> wrote:> I have posted an example of using Lisp instead of Xaml to display
> > graphics on Windows Vista and IE7.Looking at the examples I seem to be missing the obvious: which Lisp
> implementation are you using?

A custom implementation developed for the Vista/IE7/WPF/e environment.
From: jvdvyah

> A custom implementation developed for the Vista/IE7/WPF/e environment.

Would this custom implementation of Lisp on Vista/IE7/WPF be available
to the general public anywhere? I've been looking for a good Lisp
implementation for Vista...
From: pfisk
On Jan 31, 6:58 am, "jvdvyah" <···········@gmail.com> wrote:
> > A custom implementation developed for the Vista/IE7/WPF/e environment.
>
> Would this custom implementation of Lisp on Vista/IE7/WPF be available
> to the general public anywhere? I've been looking for a good Lisp
> implementation for Vista...

My implementation is designed to implement a Smalltalk messaging
paradigm - like the one that was proposed in Xlisp. It is a very small
subset of Common Lisp, but it does support things like macro
expansion, multi-value returns, etc. It has gone through multiple
revisions since I started working on it at the end of 2000.

The runtime is free for both Vista and IE7.
From: John Thingstad
On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 12:58:03 +0100, jvdvyah <···········@gmail.com> wrote:

>> A custom implementation developed for the Vista/IE7/WPF/e environment.
>
> Would this custom implementation of Lisp on Vista/IE7/WPF be available
> to the general public anywhere? I've been looking for a good Lisp
> implementation for Vista...

Just use ACL or LispWorks.
Get a copy of Windows Expression, a XAML designer kit,
and use Edi Weitz RDNZL lib to access the .NET bits.

From: John Thingstad
On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 13:33:13 +0100, John Thingstad
<··············@chello.no> wrote:

> On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 12:58:03 +0100, jvdvyah <···········@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>>> A custom implementation developed for the Vista/IE7/WPF/e environment.
>>
>> Would this custom implementation of Lisp on Vista/IE7/WPF be available
>> to the general public anywhere? I've been looking for a good Lisp
>> implementation for Vista...
>>

> Just use ACL or LispWorks.
> Get a copy of Windows Expression, a XAML designer kit,

Oops! correction: Visual Expression

> and use Edi Weitz RDNZL lib to access the .NET bits.

Works on Xp with .NET 3.0 as well.

From: Alex Mizrahi
(message (Hello 'jvdvyah)
(you :wrote  :on '(31 Jan 2007 03:58:03 -0800))
(

 ??>> A custom implementation developed for the Vista/IE7/WPF/e environment.

 j> Would this custom implementation of Lisp on Vista/IE7/WPF be available
 j> to the general public anywhere? I've been looking for a good Lisp
 j> implementation for Vista...

do you have any problems with available implementations on Vista?
i think you'd prefer some mature and stable implementation to an
experimental one, unless you really need some special experimental
features..

)
"People who lust for the Feel of keys on their fingertips (c) Inity")
From: pfisk
On Jan 31, 7:12 am, "Alex Mizrahi" <········@users.sourceforge.net>
wrote:
> (message (Hello 'jvdvyah)
> (you :wrote  :on '(31 Jan 2007 03:58:03 -0800))
> (
>
>  ??>> A custom implementation developed for the Vista/IE7/WPF/e environment.
>
>  j> Would this custom implementation of Lisp on Vista/IE7/WPF be available
>  j> to the general public anywhere? I've been looking for a good Lisp
>  j> implementation for Vista...
>
> do you have any problems with available implementations on Vista?
> i think you'd prefer some mature and stable implementation to an
> experimental one, unless you really need some special experimental
> features..
>
> )
> (With-best-regards '(Alex Mizrahi) :aka 'killer_storm)
> "People who lust for the Feel of keys on their fingertips (c) Inity")

I have both Allegro CL 8.0 and Clisp running on Vista.

The problem is that neither can run inside the CLR environment. I
developed a custom implementation to run inside the *browser*
environment to replace Javascript.

BTW, I have tested running socket connections between my
implementation and Clisp without problem.
From: John Thingstad
On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 15:57:13 +0100, pfisk <··········@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jan 31, 7:12 am, "Alex Mizrahi" <········@users.sourceforge.net>
> wrote:
>> (message (Hello 'jvdvyah)
>> (you :wrote  :on '(31 Jan 2007 03:58:03 -0800))
>> (
>>
>>  ??>> A custom implementation developed for the Vista/IE7/WPF/e
>> environment.
>>
>>  j> Would this custom implementation of Lisp on Vista/IE7/WPF be
>> available
>>  j> to the general public anywhere? I've been looking for a good Lisp
>>  j> implementation for Vista...
>>
>> do you have any problems with available implementations on Vista?
>> i think you'd prefer some mature and stable implementation to an
>> experimental one, unless you really need some special experimental
>> features..
>>
>> )
>> (With-best-regards '(Alex Mizrahi) :aka 'killer_storm)
>> "People who lust for the Feel of keys on their fingertips (c) Inity")
>
> I have both Allegro CL 8.0 and Clisp running on Vista.
>
> The problem is that neither can run inside the CLR environment. I
> developed a custom implementation to run inside the *browser*
> environment to replace Javascript.
>
> BTW, I have tested running socket connections between my
> implementation and Clisp without problem.

There is no Lisp that generates CLR code.
It can use the .NET libraries.
RDNZL uses the Microsoft C++ interface to .NET behind the scenes.
As such it generates CLR code for the interface.
It does not generate the application proper in CLR however.
This has been discussed befor and it seems clear that it would
be difficult to support the MS security model with the CL library.
So this is probaly the best you can do.

From: pfisk
On Jan 31, 10:16 am, "John Thingstad" <··············@chello.no>
wrote:
> On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 15:57:13 +0100, pfisk <··········@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Jan 31, 7:12 am, "Alex Mizrahi" <········@users.sourceforge.net>
> > wrote:
> >> (message (Hello 'jvdvyah)
> >> (you :wrote  :on '(31 Jan 2007 03:58:03 -0800))
> >> (
>
> >>  ??>> A custom implementation developed for the Vista/IE7/WPF/e
> >> environment.
>
> >>  j> Would this custom implementation of Lisp on Vista/IE7/WPF be
> >> available
> >>  j> to the general public anywhere? I've been looking for a good Lisp
> >>  j> implementation for Vista...
>
> >> do you have any problems with available implementations on Vista?
> >> i think you'd prefer some mature and stable implementation to an
> >> experimental one, unless you really need some special experimental
> >> features..
>
> >> )
> >> (With-best-regards '(Alex Mizrahi) :aka 'killer_storm)
> >> "People who lust for the Feel of keys on their fingertips (c) Inity")
>
> > I have both Allegro CL 8.0 and Clisp running on Vista.
>
> > The problem is that neither can run inside the CLR environment. I
> > developed a custom implementation to run inside the *browser*
> > environment to replace Javascript.
>
> > BTW, I have tested running socket connections between my
> > implementation and Clisp without problem.
>
> There is no Lisp that generates CLR code.
> It can use the .NET libraries.
> RDNZL uses the Microsoft C++ interface to .NET behind the scenes.
> As such it generates CLR code for the interface.
> It does not generate the application proper in CLR however.
> This has been discussed befor and it seems clear that it would
> be difficult to support the MS security model with the CL library.
> So this is probaly the best you can do.
>
> --
> Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client:http://www.opera.com/mail/- Hide quoted text -

I have looked at RDNZL and it is totally useless for what I wish to
do, which is running graphic intensive applications in a browser or on
the desktop.

My implementation doesn't generate CLR code - it generates a custom
bytecode which runs in an interpreter.
From: John Thingstad
On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 17:28:58 +0100, pfisk <··········@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have looked at RDNZL and it is totally useless for what I wish to
> do, which is running graphic intensive applications in a browser or on
> the desktop.
>
> My implementation doesn't generate CLR code - it generates a custom
> bytecode which runs in an interpreter.

Well I would write the interface in C# and use RDNZL to interface to it.
That way I get the advantage of the C# express interface designer.
I take it this is not acceptable to you?

From: pfisk
On Jan 31, 11:54 am, "John Thingstad" <··············@chello.no>
wrote:
> On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 17:28:58 +0100, pfisk <··········@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I have looked at RDNZL and it is totally useless for what I wish to
> > do, which is running graphic intensive applications in a browser or on
> > the desktop.
>
> > My implementation doesn't generate CLR code - it generates a custom
> > bytecode which runs in an interpreter.
>
> Well I would write the interface in C# and use RDNZL to interface to it.
> That way I get the advantage of the C# express interface designer.
> I take it this is not acceptable to you?
>
> --
> Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client:http://www.opera.com/mail/

The interface designer built into C# Express is for the WinForms
(Win32) interface.

I want to use the new WPF interface with vector graphics and
animations.

This can be built using the MS "Blend" designer which produces Xaml
that is then
imported into C# express.

But I don't want a static interface - I want graphics that can be
generated "on-the-fly"
from, for example, a game AI. Also, I want it to be able to run cross-
platform using
WPF/e.
From: Alex Mizrahi
(message (Hello 'pfisk)
(you :wrote  :on '(31 Jan 2007 06:57:13 -0800))
(

 p> The problem is that neither can run inside the CLR environment. I
 p> developed a custom implementation to run inside the *browser*
 p> environment to replace Javascript.

so it runs inside CLR? cool.
two years ago i thought it would be great to implement fully fledged Common
Lisp in CLR (it appers to be more straightforward that in JVM), and was
about to start, but i had not enough time that time..

so if you implement full Common Lisp that would be very good

)
"People who lust for the Feel of keys on their fingertips (c) Inity")
From: pfisk
On Jan 31, 11:38 am, "Alex Mizrahi" <········@users.sourceforge.net>
wrote:
> (message (Hello 'pfisk)
> (you :wrote  :on '(31 Jan 2007 06:57:13 -0800))
> (
>
>  p> The problem is that neither can run inside the CLR environment. I
>  p> developed a custom implementation to run inside the *browser*
>  p> environment to replace Javascript.
>
> so it runs inside CLR? cool.
> two years ago i thought it would be great to implement fully fledged Common
> Lisp in CLR (it appers to be more straightforward that in JVM), and was
> about to start, but i had not enough time that time..
>
> so if you implement full Common Lisp that would be very good
>
> )
> (With-best-regards '(Alex Mizrahi) :aka 'killer_storm)
> "People who lust for the Feel of keys on their fingertips (c) Inity")

Full Common Lisp isn't necessary since I can access the CLR libraries
and the standard .Net distribution has over 300,000 methods.

I will implement any features which are useful for the target market
which is "rich internet applications", data visualization and online
games.