From: fireblade
Subject: PHP  few steps from c to lisp
I just started to learn PHP and at the beginning it looked just like
boring  c embedded in html
but than  i found  variable variables and variables functions.
Those two things made me cheer a little bit and feel sort of at
home?(beside dynamic typing and GC).
Aren't they a sort of symbolic computation ?
Like some baby steps of programs writing code.
If anybody is experienced in PHP I would like to know how popular are
they in php community?

cheers
bobi

From: Alex Mizrahi
Subject: Re: PHP  few steps from c to lisp
(message (Hello 'fireblade)
(you :wrote  :on '(25 Jan 2007 10:09:18 -0800))
(

 f> but than  i found  variable variables and variables functions.

what do you mean?

$foo= 'foo';

$bar->$foo;

 being same as

$bar->foo;

?

 f> Those two things made me cheer a little bit and feel sort of at
 f> home?(beside dynamic typing and GC).
 f> Aren't they a sort of symbolic computation ?

initial PHP author was absolutely ignorant about language design. he was
able to create language that looks pretty simple on surface, but deeper
semantics reveals he's ignorance.
following authors were still very ignorant, but not that hard, so it gets
repaired a bit over time, but they don't want to break compatibility with
previous releases..

)
"People who lust for the Feel of keys on their fingertips (c) Inity")
From: Frank Buss
Alex Mizrahi wrote:

> (message (Hello 'fireblade)
> (you :wrote  :on '(25 Jan 2007 10:09:18 -0800))
> (
>
>  f> but than  i found  variable variables and variables functions.
>
> what do you mean?
>
> $foo= 'foo';
>
> $bar->$foo;
>
>  being same as
>
> $bar->foo;
>
> ?

You could do something like this with eval in Lisp, but it is not very Lisp
like. In PHP you need this sometimes, because the language is so limited,
e.g. for simulating C++ like references or Lisp macros.

--
Frank Buss, ยทยท@frank-buss.de