From: Roman Cheplyaka
Subject: is there standard macro for ...?
I wrote a simple macro which takes a function, a list and calls that
function with arguments -- components of the list.
It looks like
(defmacro r (func lst) `(,func ,@lst))
and is used like
(r append ((list 1 2) (list 3 4 5) (list 6 7))) -> (append (list 1 2)
(list 3 4 5) (list 6 7)).
I wonder if there exists standard macro for this purpose? Ain't I
inventing the wheel?

From: Tim Bradshaw
Subject: Re: is there standard macro for ...?
Roman Cheplyaka wrote:

> I wonder if there exists standard macro for this purpose? Ain't I
> inventing the wheel?

APPLY.
From: Timofei Shatrov
On 22 Jan 2007 02:41:30 -0800, "Tim Bradshaw" <··········@tfeb.org> tried to
confuse everyone with this message:

>Roman Cheplyaka wrote:
>
>> I wonder if there exists standard macro for this purpose? Ain't I
>> inventing the wheel?
>
>APPLY.

Now, it's hardly a macro, is it?

--
|Don't believe this - you're not worthless              ,gr---------.ru
|It's us against millions and we can't take them all... |  ue     il   |
|But we can take them on!                               |     @ma      |
|                       (A Wilhelm Scream - The Rip)    |______________|
From: Tim Bradshaw
Timofei Shatrov wrote:

> Now, it's hardly a macro, is it?

No.  I was trying to provide an answer to the question the OP really
wanted answered, and avoid some kind of autistic "do you want x or y?
yes" kind of answer.  Next time I'll make sure this is more explicit.

--tim
From: Ken Tilton
Timofei Shatrov wrote:
> On 22 Jan 2007 02:41:30 -0800, "Tim Bradshaw" <··········@tfeb.org> tried to
> confuse everyone with this message:
>

>>Roman Cheplyaka wrote:
>>

>>>I wonder if there exists standard macro for this purpose? Ain't I
>>>inventing the wheel?
>>
>>APPLY.
>>

> Now, it's hardly a macro, is it?

Good point: the noob wants a macro to do the job, not a function --
they're a noob, they know what they are doing right? Hang on....

kenny

--
The Dalai Lama gets the same crap all the time.
   -- Kenny Tilton on c.l.l when accused of immodesty
From: Pascal Bourguignon
Ken Tilton <·········@gmail.com> writes:

> Timofei Shatrov wrote:
>> On 22 Jan 2007 02:41:30 -0800, "Tim Bradshaw" <··········@tfeb.org> tried to
>> confuse everyone with this message:

>>>APPLY.
>>

>> Now, it's hardly a macro, is it?

I find this funny.

> Good point: the noob wants a macro to do the job, not a function --
> they're a noob, they know what they are doing right? Hang on....

I don't find this funny.

I wonder what happened a few months ago to Ken... He turned very sour.

"You cannot really appreciate Dilbert unless you read it in the
original Klingon"
From: Holger Schauer
On 4891 September 1993, Pascal Bourguignon wrote:
> I wonder what happened a few months ago to Ken... He turned very sour.

That's just usenet. You'll both get over it. Hey, even Erik did.

Holger

--
---          http://hillview.bugwriter.net/            ---
"Yast macht meine Aenderunen in /etc/inittab einfach platt und entfernt
From: ······@gingerbread.plus.com
Pascal Bourguignon wrote:
> Ken Tilton <·········@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Good point: the noob wants a macro to do the job, not a function --
> > they're a noob, they know what they are doing right? Hang on....
>
> I don't find this funny.
>

> I wonder what happened a few months ago to Ken... He turned very sour.

Funnily enough, when I started reading this group, which wasn't so much
more than a few months ago, I thought that he was a complete
*unprintable*. Since then I've discovered that I actually find him one
of the more witty and interesting contributors. I still think he scares
the children, mind.

Mike
From: Tim Bradshaw
······@gingerbread.plus.com wrote:
> I still think he scares
> the children, mind.

I think that's the point.
From: Ken Tilton
Tim Bradshaw wrote:
> ······@gingerbread.plus.com wrote:
>
>>I still think he scares
>>the children, mind.
>

> I think that's the point.

What Lisp needs is not diaper-changers for goofy noobs who put their
questions in the form of answers and/or offer to help us mop up the
parnetheses, nor does it need you old women sitting around clucking your
tongues about working Lisp programmers and open source contributors.

Lisp needs you and Pascal to STFU and get to work on Verrazano,
Rucksack, cl-sockets, or even <gasp> Slime. A text-to-speech library
would be fun as well. Clearly the big winner in that list is verrazano,
aka "Plug-n-play C/C++ libraries for Lisp", because it delivers all
those libraries in one fell swoop*.

Oh, sorry, that is work and would be useful and would involve talking
about Lisp. I understand, I always prefer talking about me, too.

kenny

* Ah, who knew?, not the right connotation:

from: http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-fel1.htm

"You might guess that fell has something to do with fall, but it hasn�t.
It actually means some thing of terrible evil or deadly ferocity."

We'll save that for the next noob.

From: Tim Bradshaw
Ken Tilton wrote:

> What Lisp needs is not diaper-changers for goofy noobs who put their
> questions in the form of answers and/or offer to help us mop up the
> parnetheses, nor does it need you old women sitting around clucking your
> tongues about working Lisp programmers and open source contributors.

What on earth makes you think I care what Lisp needs?  My only care
here is for the needs of people who post to CLL, and in general what
they need is poking fun at.
From: Ken Tilton
Tim Bradshaw wrote:
> Ken Tilton wrote:
>

>>What Lisp needs is not diaper-changers for goofy noobs who put their
>>questions in the form of answers and/or offer to help us mop up the
>>parnetheses, nor does it need you old women sitting around clucking your
>>tongues about working Lisp programmers and open source contributors.
>

> What on earth makes you think I care what Lisp needs?  My only care
> here is for the needs of people who post to CLL, and in general what
> they need is poking fun at.

Brilliant. Now that I have most of the regulars in my killfile you can
pick up the slack on them. I'll continue to savage the noobs.

kzo

--
Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and
I'm happy to state I finally won out over it.

In this world, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.
                                   -- Elwood's Mom
From: Michael
On 2007-01-23 09:48:08 -0500, Ken Tilton <·········@gmail.com> said:

> Lisp needs you and Pascal to STFU and get to work on Verrazano,
> Rucksack, cl-sockets, or even <gasp> Slime. A text-to-speech library
> would be fun as well. Clearly the big winner in that list is verrazano,
> aka "Plug-n-play C/C++ libraries for Lisp", because it delivers all
> those libraries in one fell swoop*.

While they are doing that perhaps you could actually document cells.

:)
From: Ken Tilton
Michael wrote:
> On 2007-01-23 09:48:08 -0500, Ken Tilton <·········@gmail.com> said:
>
>> Lisp needs you and Pascal to STFU and get to work on Verrazano,
>> Rucksack, cl-sockets, or even <gasp> Slime. A text-to-speech library
>> would be fun as well. Clearly the big winner in that list is
>> verrazano, aka "Plug-n-play C/C++ libraries for Lisp", because it
>> delivers all those libraries in one fell swoop*.
>

> While they are doing that perhaps you could actually document cells.
>
> :)

Please post here links to all the existing Cells documentation you read,
along with specific questions about specific parts you did not follow.

thx, kenny

ps. PWAAUAUAUAUAAHAHHAHAAUUUAHAHAHAHAHHAHHAHAAAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!

From: Michael
On 2007-01-23 23:25:12 -0500, Ken Tilton <·········@gmail.com> said:

> Please post here links to all the existing Cells documentation you
> read, along with specific questions about specific parts you did not
> follow.

Yes, I am familiar with your "here is one example now go read
this guy's blog post" style of documentation. Very nice ;)

Michael
From: Ken Tilton
Michael wrote:
> On 2007-01-23 23:25:12 -0500, Ken Tilton <·········@gmail.com> said:
>
>> Please post here links to all the existing Cells documentation you
>> read, along with specific questions about specific parts you did not
>> follow.
>

> Yes, I am familiar with your "here is one example now go read
> this guy's blog post" style of documentation. Very nice ;)

Thanks, but I was unclear. I really need the specifics, which URLs, and
which questions. Then I can point you to the ones you missed.

If you cannot be bothered, just admit it. Believe me, I know the feeling.

kenny

From: Kaz Kylheku
On Jan 23, 3:20 am, ······@gingerbread.plus.com wrote:
> > I wonder what happened a few months ago to Ken... He turned very sour.Funnily enough, when I started reading this group, which wasn't so much
> more than a few months ago, I thought that he was a complete
> *unprintable*.

 Since then I've discovered that I actually find him one
> of the more witty and interesting contributors. I still think he scares
> the children, mind.

>From everything Kenny has ever posted that I have read, it's always
been obvious to me that Kenny is just putting on a kind of comedy act,
during which you are intended to be aware at all times of the lamb in
the wolf's clothing, which is not even realistic but portrays a kind of
caricature of the wolf.

Kenny is a terminally Nice Guy.
From: Pascal Bourguignon
····@mail.ru (Timofei Shatrov) writes:

> On 22 Jan 2007 02:41:30 -0800, "Tim Bradshaw" <··········@tfeb.org> tried to
> confuse everyone with this message:
>
>>Roman Cheplyaka wrote:
>>
>>> I wonder if there exists standard macro for this purpose? Ain't I
>>> inventing the wheel?
>>
>>APPLY.
>>

> Now, it's hardly a macro, is it?

Yes. So the correct answer is:  NO, there isn't.

READ THIS BEFORE OPENING PACKAGE: According to certain suggested
versions of the Grand Unified Theory, the primary particles
constituting this product may decay to nothingness within the next
four hundred million years.