From: landspeedrecord
Subject: Common Lisp Music / Lisp In A Box / Slime / Windows XP
Hi,

I am trying to get Common Lisp Music working by loading it into Lisp In
A Box (or is it Lisp Box?).

First off, has anyone out there gotten CLM or CM (common music) to work
on a PC at all (NOT including linux emulators like CYGWIN!)???  If so
let me know!  How and which version of lisp.

Secondly, if anyone could be so kind as to take a look at my error
message and point me in the right direction.  I have programmed some
NLP applications in Lisp but really my knowledge of it is newbie level.

Here are the LispBox buffers:

; SLIME: The Superior Lisp Interaction Mode for Emacs
CL-USER> (load "all.lisp")
./configure --quiet --with-doubles --with-float-samples

ERROR MESSAGES:

Restarts:
  0: [ABORT] Abort handling SLIME request.

Backtrace:
  0: frame binding variables (~ = dynamically):
  | ~ SYSTEM::*FASOUTPUT-STREAM* <--> NIL

  1: EVAL frame for form (SHELL CONFIGURE)

  2: EVAL frame for form (PROGN (SETF CONFIGURE (CONCATENATE 'STRING
"cd " CLM-DIRECTORY " && ./configure --quiet --with-doubles
--with-float-samples")) (FORMAT T ";   running ~A~%" CONFIGURE) (SHELL
CONFIGURE))

  3: EVAL frame for form (IF RECONFIGURE (PROGN (SETF CONFIGURE
(CONCATENATE 'STRING "cd " CLM-DIRECTORY " && ./configure --quiet
--with-doubles --with-float-samples")) (FORMAT T ";   running ~A~%"
CONFIGURE) (SHELL CONFIGURE)) (FORMAT T ";   using existing
configuration file mus-config.h~%"))

  4: EVAL frame for form (LOAD "all.lisp")

  5: EVAL frame for form (SWANK:LISTENER-EVAL "(load \"all.lisp\")")
  6: EVAL frame for form (SWANK:START-SERVER
"c:/DOCUME~1/landspeedrecord/LOCALS~1/Temp/slime.2472")

From: Ken Tilton
Subject: Re: Common Lisp Music / Lisp In A Box / Slime / Windows XP
landspeedrecord wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to get Common Lisp Music working by loading it into Lisp In
> A Box (or is it Lisp Box?).

There be more than one, so if you do not know we sure as hell do not
know. :)

> First off, has anyone out there gotten CLM or CM (common music) to work
> on a PC at all (NOT including linux emulators like CYGWIN!)???  If so
> let me know!

Know. CLM, specifically.

>  How and which version of lisp.

How? I do recall some pain and suffering. But it was a few years ago, so
recall is fuzzy. It does that Scheme-to-lisp thing which is just so
weird. Ah, now I remember, it was written by someone who did not have a
clue on packages. Which can be bery hard on you if yer a Lisp noob (I
was not and it was still pulling teeth).

AllegroCL, the Lisp too good for yobbos. They have a trial version I
think will run CLM.

> Secondly, if anyone could be so kind as to take a look at my error
> message and point me in the right direction.  I have programmed some
> NLP applications in Lisp but really my knowledge of it is newbie level.
>
> Here are the LispBox buffers:
>
> ; SLIME: The Superior Lisp Interaction Mode for Emacs
> CL-USER> (load "all.lisp")
> ./configure --quiet --with-doubles --with-float-samples
>
> =========================================================================================
> ERROR MESSAGES:
>
> Restarts:
>   0: [ABORT] Abort handling SLIME request.
>
> Backtrace:
>   0: frame binding variables (~ = dynamically):
>   | ~ SYSTEM::*FASOUTPUT-STREAM* <--> NIL
>
>   1: EVAL frame for form (SHELL CONFIGURE)
>
>   2: EVAL frame for form (PROGN (SETF CONFIGURE (CONCATENATE 'STRING
> "cd " CLM-DIRECTORY " && ./configure --quiet --with-doubles
> --with-float-samples")) (FORMAT T ";   running ~A~%" CONFIGURE) (SHELL
> CONFIGURE))
>
>   3: EVAL frame for form (IF RECONFIGURE (PROGN (SETF CONFIGURE
> (CONCATENATE 'STRING "cd " CLM-DIRECTORY " && ./configure --quiet
> --with-doubles --with-float-samples")) (FORMAT T ";   running ~A~%"
> CONFIGURE) (SHELL CONFIGURE)) (FORMAT T ";   using existing
> configuration file mus-config.h~%"))
>
>   4: EVAL frame for form (LOAD "all.lisp")
>
>   5: EVAL frame for form (SWANK:LISTENER-EVAL "(load \"all.lisp\")")
>   6: EVAL frame for form (SWANK:START-SERVER
> "c:/DOCUME~1/landspeedrecord/LOCALS~1/Temp/slime.2472")

Boy, Slime really sucks. Oh, wait. The fasl output stream is nil? Maybe
there is an issue with the value of clm-directory? That would get in the
way of a build, I should think. Unfortunately I have no idea how that
gets configured, but that is where I would start my investigation.

Worth it, btw, had fun with CLM.

kt

--
The Dalai Lama gets the same crap all the time.
   -- Kenny Tilton on c.l.l when accused of immodesty
From: landspeedrecord
So I  downloaded AllegroCL like you suggested.

Now when I try to use load I get an error that says this:

Error: "starting shell command" resulted in error "No such file or
directory"
[condition type: SYSCALL-ERROR]

So... from the many options that allegro gave me I chose "recompile
{EXCL::RECOMPILE_DUE_TO_INCOMPATIBLE_FSL}"

Then I get:
Error: Package "CLM" not found. [file position = 20932]
[condition type: READER-ERROR]

Any ideas?  I know nothing of packages so I guess I need to do some
reading this weekend.  Is there maybe a problem with the pathname to
the package?  Are packages located inside files or are they files
themselves?

From: Ken Tilton
landspeedrecord wrote:
> So I  downloaded AllegroCL like you suggested.
>
> Now when I try to use load I get an error that says this:
>
> Error: "starting shell command" resulted in error "No such file or
> directory"
> [condition type: SYSCALL-ERROR]

Me, too. And whaddya know, I am quoted on a different issue in
readme.clm, a pretty scary document in itself.

I have no idea what is going on. I see the code is trying to do a
"CD..." when the ACL doc says run-shell-command is a misnomer and cannot
run shell commands like CD. Then it tries on the same line "&&
./configure...etc". Is that supposed to be running an MSVC tool? I have
VX Express now. Besides...even if I try the ACL-suggested "notepad" or
"notepad.exe" (after making sure they are in ACLs own directory) it
/still/ says invalid directory. This rings a bell about that being
related to something else but I forget what. I did try specifying nil
for the various stream options (default anyway) same result.

btw, poking around I remembered something else: all.lisp was hard-code
to look for specific ACL versions qua features, and there was a bug in
how it used those features to decide what to do. That may all have changed.

One thing I do recall (and see in the readme or somewhere) is that the
developer is working very hard on the install process and means for it
to Just Work, and thus is interested in hearing of any difficulties. I
believe the intended audience is music folks, not programmer folks. Last
I looked there was a mailing list, so i suggest you head there for support.

I just checked the all.lisp from last time (found it in an archive
directory tree) and I can see it is wildly different, so not much more
help I can offer.

kt

Spaces in filenames aren't very well supported by emacs in windows. The
easiest way to deal with this is to reinstall lisp in a box to a folder
without them.