From: daBittweiler
Subject: slime + SBCL on Windows XP
I new to using common lisp on Windows, but find it very comforting to
use on my NetBSD box.
I'd prefer not to switch over to Corman Lisp if possible.
my _.emacs.txt file:

(add-to-list 'load-path "C:\emacs\slime-2.0\slime-2.0")
(setq inferior-lisp-program "%SBCL_HOME%") ;env var -> C:\program
files\steel bank common lisp\1.0\sbcl.exe
(require 'slime)
(slime-setup)

I tried everything I could find that was mention by others and
everything I could think of.
Does anyone have a working slime config running on windows at all?
I see that slime supports win32.  I mainly need it to create a
stand-alone app for windows.  But would rather use SBCL than buying
Corman Lisp or using the dreaded alternative of C.

the %SBCL_HOME% is a user define environment variable I define within
my computer to point to the SBCL application.   I using emacs-21.3.1 on
windows.  I've tried this under Cywin which still didn't help.

Why, I've growed comfortable now to the lisp way of thinking and coding

From: Steven L. Collins
Subject: Re: slime + SBCL on Windows XP
"daBittweiler" <············@gmail.com> wrote in message
····························@v45g2000cwv.googlegroups.com...
>I new to using common lisp on Windows, but find it very comforting to
> use on my NetBSD box.
> I'd prefer not to switch over to Corman Lisp if possible.
> my _.emacs.txt file:
>
> (add-to-list 'load-path "C:\emacs\slime-2.0\slime-2.0")
> (setq inferior-lisp-program "%SBCL_HOME%") ;env var -> C:\program
> files\steel bank common lisp\1.0\sbcl.exe
> (require 'slime)
> (slime-setup)

;;; SLIME
(setq load-path (append (list "c:/home/slime-cvs") load-path))  ;SLIME
directory
(setq inferior-lisp-program "c:/bin/sbcl/sbcl --noinform") ;Lisp system
(require 'slime)
(slime-setup)

The above works for me. I'm using emacs 23.0.0.1,  slime CVS as of
2006-12-31.

Good luck,
 steven

From: billc
daBittweiler wrote:
> I new to using common lisp on Windows, but find it very comforting to
> use on my NetBSD box.
> I'd prefer not to switch over to Corman Lisp if possible.
> my _.emacs.txt file:
>
> (add-to-list 'load-path "C:\emacs\slime-2.0\slime-2.0")
> (setq inferior-lisp-program "%SBCL_HOME%") ;env var -> C:\program
> files\steel bank common lisp\1.0\sbcl.exe
> (require 'slime)
> (slime-setup)
>
> I tried everything I could find that was mention by others and
> everything I could think of.
> Does anyone have a working slime config running on windows at all?
> I see that slime supports win32.  I mainly need it to create a
> stand-alone app for windows.  But would rather use SBCL than buying
> Corman Lisp or using the dreaded alternative of C.
>
> the %SBCL_HOME% is a user define environment variable I define within
> my computer to point to the SBCL application.   I using emacs-21.3.1 on
> windows.  I've tried this under Cywin which still didn't help.

Try changing the location of SBCL_HOME to something without embedded
spaces - E.g. - c:/bin/sbcl/sbcl.exe

Alternatively, you could escape the spaces in the directory path with
back slashes.

As a general rule of thumb, on Win32 in emacs, it's easier to use
directory names that don't contain spaces. It's also easier if you use
forward slashes as the directory name separator as "\" is an escape
character in emacs.

--
Bill Clementson
From: Markus Grueneis
daBittweiler <············@gmail.com> wrote:

> I new to using common lisp on Windows, but find it very comforting to
> use on my NetBSD box.
> I'd prefer not to switch over to Corman Lisp if possible.
> my _.emacs.txt file:
>
> (add-to-list 'load-path "C:\emacs\slime-2.0\slime-2.0")
> (setq inferior-lisp-program "%SBCL_HOME%") ;env var -> C:\program
> files\steel bank common lisp\1.0\sbcl.exe
> (...)

Sorry, I do not have the details in my head, but shouldn't SBCL_HOME point
to a _directory_?  (SBCL needs this directory to find it's core file, I
think).  Does SBCL work when started from the console?

Spaces are no problem, as for instance CUSP ran well with spaces in the
path, and AFAIK I also got SBCL/SLIME working within the default program
folders.

Bye,
Markus
From: Timofei Shatrov
On 14 Jan 2007 15:09:58 -0800, "daBittweiler" <············@gmail.com> tried to
confuse everyone with this message:

>I new to using common lisp on Windows, but find it very comforting to
>use on my NetBSD box.
>I'd prefer not to switch over to Corman Lisp if possible.
>my _.emacs.txt file:
>
>(add-to-list 'load-path "C:\emacs\slime-2.0\slime-2.0")

Are you aware that backslash is an escape character? I believe that is your
problem.

>(setq inferior-lisp-program "%SBCL_HOME%") ;env var -> C:\program
>files\steel bank common lisp\1.0\sbcl.exe
>(require 'slime)
>(slime-setup)
>
>I tried everything I could find that was mention by others and
>everything I could think of.
>Does anyone have a working slime config running on windows at all?

Yes, SLIME and SBCL work just fine on Windows.

>I see that slime supports win32.  I mainly need it to create a
>stand-alone app for windows.

SLIME is useful for developing apps, but it's not a good tool for delivery,
because your image would include Swank server thinking it is connected to SLIME
which will not be the case for the user who runs the exe. This leads to all
sorts of bugs. It's better to do it on a bare SBCL.

--
|Don't believe this - you're not worthless              ,gr---------.ru
|It's us against millions and we can't take them all... |  ue     il   |
|But we can take them on!                               |     @ma      |
|                       (A Wilhelm Scream - The Rip)    |______________|
From: justinhj
Is anyone running slime and SBCL in a cygwin environment? I'd be
grateful if someone who is could post their relevant .emacs lines.

Justin
From: daBittweiler
Yes, sbcl works fine from the console.

I reinstalled a slime cvs snapshot and sbcl win32 binary  still
M-x slime says "No Match"  whatever that means I think it's search for
something.
This time around I place everything on the C:/ directory emacs, slime
and sbcl.

;; slime and SBCL setup
;(setq inferior-lisp-program "sbcl")
;(add-to-list 'load-path "C:/slime/")
;(require 'slime)
;(slime-setup)
(setq load-path (append (list "c:/slime/") load-path))
(setq inferior-lisp-program "c:/sbcl/sbcl --noinform") ;Lisp system
(require 'slime)
(slime-setup)

install directories:
emacs => C:\emacs
sbcl=> C:\sbcl
slime=> C:\slime

I tried checking to see if spybot search&destroy was the problem or
windows firewall, and my AV ware.  It doesn't seem to been the problem.
neither worked I'm been probing this problem all day in the morning I'm
try to install a newer version of emacs.  I believe it might be an
emacs problem I think.And see if that helps, thanks

From: Steven L. Collins
"daBittweiler" <············@gmail.com> wrote in message
·····························@l53g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> Yes, sbcl works fine from the console.
>
> I reinstalled a slime cvs snapshot and sbcl win32 binary  still
> M-x slime says "No Match"  whatever that means I think it's search for
> something.
> This time around I place everything on the C:/ directory emacs, slime
> and sbcl.
>
> ;; slime and SBCL setup
> ;(setq inferior-lisp-program "sbcl")
> ;(add-to-list 'load-path "C:/slime/")
> ;(require 'slime)
> ;(slime-setup)
> (setq load-path (append (list "c:/slime/") load-path))

Try getting rid of the last  '/'

From: daBittweiler
Ok, I grabbed emacs-21.3-fullbin-i386.tar.gz  from the
/pub/gnu/emacs/windows directory installed it.  Still emacs claim no
match found when I hit M-x slime.

?  What does 'no match' mean when giving emacs the M-x anything
command.  Is it that the search path of slime can not be found.  I hate
bothering you guys with this question.  And I like to figure stuff out
but I can't think of anything else that could be the problem.  I tried
renaming the emacs customizations file from _emacs to .emacs but
windows doesn't allow it.  So I tried emacs instead problem still
persists.

From: Steven L. Collins
>> > ;; slime and SBCL setup
>> > ;(setq inferior-lisp-program "sbcl")
>> > ;(add-to-list 'load-path "C:/slime/")
>> > ;(require 'slime)
>> > ;(slime-setup)
>> > (setq load-path (append (list "c:/slime/") load-path))
>>
>> Try getting rid of the last  '/'
>>   (setq load-path (append (list "c:/slime") load-path))

I just noticed that you have all your "slime and SBCL setup" lines commented
out!  Get rid of the ';' at the start of each line ;-)   "No Match" means
emacs can't find the "slime" command.  Looks like this is due to the lines
being commented out!  Remember to compile-load  your .emacs file.

Steven
From: ·······@gmail.com
> (add-to-list 'load-path "C:\emacs\slime-2.0\slime-2.0")
> (setq inferior-lisp-program "%SBCL_HOME%") ;env var -> C:\program
> files\steel bank common lisp\1.0\sbcl.exe
> (require 'slime)
> (slime-setup)
>
> I tried everything I could find that was mention by others and
> everything I could think of.
> Does anyone have a working slime config running on windows at all?

Here is my working _emacs file content:

(setq inferior-lisp-program "sbcl")
(add-to-list 'load-path "C:/Program Files/Slime/")
(require 'slime)
(slime-setup)

"SLIME is started with the Emacs command M-x slime."