From: Ken Tilton
Subject: Eat Your Heart Out, McCLIM
     http://www.tilton-technology.com/fg_tibco.html

--
The Dalai Lama gets the same crap all the time.
   -- Kenny Tilton on c.l.l when accused of immodesty

From: Russell McManus
Subject: Re: Eat Your Heart Out, McCLIM
Ken Tilton <·········@gmail.com> writes:

> http://www.tilton-technology.com/fg_tibco.html

Very cool, Kenny.

But last I heard this tibco thingy is mostly used by people in "tall
buildings".  Are you working for "the man" again?

;-)

-russ
From: Ken Tilton
Russell McManus wrote:
> Ken Tilton <·········@gmail.com> writes:
>

>>http://www.tilton-technology.com/fg_tibco.html
>

> Very cool, Kenny.
>
> But last I heard this tibco thingy is mostly used by people in "tall
> buildings".  Are you working for "the man" again?
>
> ;-)

The only work for hire in my future would follow bartender's school.
That is Frank Goenninger's contrib, I'll clarify the page.

kt

ps. We miss you at LispNYC! k

From: Frank Goenninger DG1SBG
Russell McManus <·····@cl-user.org> writes:

> Ken Tilton <·········@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> http://www.tilton-technology.com/fg_tibco.html
>
> Very cool, Kenny.
>
> But last I heard this tibco thingy is mostly used by people in "tall
> buildings".

Yeah, right. In this case one of the largest semiconductor
manufacturers in the world that happens to be my customer. Our new test
tool was created because the customer separated into two companies and
the former test tool had licensing issues for one the companies.

Also, the former test tool had more visual gimmicks and had been a
three month effort for a team of 3 developers ...

Oh, ah - the customer was not even asked what technology to take for
implementation. We implemented it first - initially for our own use
- but then sold this also to the customer.

One major advantage for us also is that we can use it for further
TIBCO-based solutions and customers also ...

Cheers
   Frank

From: Ken Tilton
Frank Goenninger DG1SBG wrote:
> Russell McManus <·····@cl-user.org> writes:
>

>>Ken Tilton <·········@gmail.com> writes:
>>

>>>http://www.tilton-technology.com/fg_tibco.html
>>
>>Very cool, Kenny.
>>
>>But last I heard this tibco thingy is mostly used by people in "tall
>>buildings".
>

> Yeah, right. In this case one of the largest semiconductor
> manufacturers in the world that happens to be my customer. Our new test
> tool was created because the customer separated into two companies and
> the former test tool had licensing issues for one the companies.
>
> Also, the former test tool had more visual gimmicks...

You could add a togl widget and a spinning cube with John McCarthy's
face on it: http://www.tilton-technology.com/Celtk.html

> and had been a
> three month effort for a team of 3 developers ...

Do you happen to know the stack of tools used? Java? Python? Was it
portable to Windows, Linux, and OS X? :)

> Oh, ah - the customer was not even asked what technology to take for
> implementation. We implemented it first - initially for our own use
> - but then sold this also to the customer.

Cells go live! That makes two. I better hurry if I want the bronze.

> One major advantage for us also is that we can use it for further
> TIBCO-based solutions and customers also ...

Well, try to work in a spinning McCarthy. Extra credit for sound
effects: http://www.tilton-technology.com/spinning.wav

kzo

From: Frank Goenninger DG1SBG
Ken Tilton <·········@gmail.com> writes:

> Frank Goenninger DG1SBG wrote:
>> Russell McManus <·····@cl-user.org> writes:

>>>Very cool, Kenny.
>>>
>>>But last I heard this tibco thingy is mostly used by people in "tall
>>>buildings".
>>

>> Yeah, right. In this case one of the largest semiconductor
>> manufacturers in the world that happens to be my customer. Our new test
>> tool was created because the customer separated into two companies and
>> the former test tool had licensing issues for one the companies.
>>
>> Also, the former test tool had more visual gimmicks...
>
> You could add a togl widget and a spinning cube with John McCarthy's
> face on it: http://www.tilton-technology.com/Celtk.html
>
>> and had been a
>> three month effort for a team of 3 developers ...
>
> Do you happen to know the stack of tools used? Java? Python? Was it
> portable to Windows, Linux, and OS X? :)

Java. Runs on Windows only (uses some proprietary extensions from a
competitor of us that forces it to "Sorry, Windows only" <g>). We run
it on OS X. The server side is on HP-UX.

One of us is using this as a concrete case to get into Common Lisp
and Tcl/Tk - by porting it to XP.

>> Oh, ah - the customer was not even asked what technology to take for
>> implementation. We implemented it first - initially for our own use
>> - but then sold this also to the customer.
>
> Cells go live! That makes two. I better hurry if I want the bronze.

Hehe. No matter what the order of market entry for you: You'll be the
$$$ winner - we only made $1k so far... Hey, but better than nothing.

>> One major advantage for us also is that we can use it for further
>> TIBCO-based solutions and customers also ...
>
> Well, try to work in a spinning McCarthy. Extra credit for sound
> effects: http://www.tilton-technology.com/spinning.wav

<g> Might be a spinning company logo with "Urgent" (from Foreigner)
running for 20 secs.

> kzo

frgo
From: Ken Tilton
Frank Goenninger DG1SBG wrote:
> Ken Tilton <·········@gmail.com> writes:
>

>>Frank Goenninger DG1SBG wrote:

>>>Yeah, right. In this case one of the largest semiconductor
>>>manufacturers in the world that happens to be my customer. Our new test
>>>tool was created because the customer separated into two companies and
>>>the former test tool had licensing issues for one the companies.
>>>
>>>Also, the former test tool had more visual gimmicks...
>>
>>You could add a togl widget and a spinning cube with John McCarthy's
>>face on it: http://www.tilton-technology.com/Celtk.html
>>

>>>and had been a
>>>three month effort for a team of 3 developers ...
>>
>>Do you happen to know the stack of tools used? Java? Python? Was it
>>portable to Windows, Linux, and OS X? :)
>

> Java. Runs on Windows only (uses some proprietary extensions from a
> competitor of us that forces it to "Sorry, Windows only" <g>). We run
> it on OS X. The server side is on HP-UX.
>
> One of us is using this as a concrete case to get into Common Lisp
> and Tcl/Tk - by porting it to XP.

Baby steps? We call that "copy and compile", not port. Hell, I have a
screenshot of my full-blown Algebra interactive tutorial running on
SBCL/OS X with pretty pictures, goofy sounds, anti-aliased text...

I have an idea. Have them enhance it, turn it into a machine that goes
PING! Every widget can play it's own sound. I can send along some
perfect WAVs for that, even have a manual typewriter key action if you
had a keyboard -- drives the user nuts. Use Snack (now part of Tcl, I
believe), no need for OpenAL, a lot simpler than Togl.

jes' thinkin' out loud...

kzo

From: Frank Goenninger DG1SBG
Ken Tilton <·········@gmail.com>:

> http://www.tilton-technology.com/fg_tibco.html

Me:

Ken Tilton <·········@gmail.com>:
> Baby steps? We call that "copy and compile", not port.

Ah - no. Actually, with all that FFI stuff to mess with (when you've
never heard of a FFI concept that's a big piece to swallow), all that
stuff TIBCO does different on Windows, plus never having seen any
Tcl/Tk before it *does* mean a full port - for him.

> Hell, I have a
> screenshot of my full-blown Algebra interactive tutorial running on
> SBCL/OS X with pretty pictures, goofy sounds, anti-aliased text...

Yeah - using Togl. I know <g>. But that's exactly what I've tried to
avoid. No nice gimmicks that draw you away from all the real work and
the real tasks ...

But, yeah, I think getting a Ping sound from the Listener when a message
arrives that satisfies a specific pattern - yeah, that would be a
useful feature.

> I have an idea. Have them enhance it, turn it into a machine that goes
> PING! Every widget can play it's own sound. I can send along some
> perfect WAVs for that, even have a manual typewriter key action if you
> had a keyboard -- drives the user nuts. Use Snack (now part of Tcl, I
> believe), no need for OpenAL, a lot simpler than Togl.
>
> jes' thinkin' out loud...

Been playing with it - after having seen that "require snack" line in
a recent version of Celtk ;-)

Helmut (the guy working on the port) will be pleased to see he can
actually enhance the app - after just two weeks. Makes for a good
motivation to go even deeper into Lisp.

Can't wait to test a fairly complete version of Algebra...

Frank
From: Ken Tilton
Frank Goenninger DG1SBG wrote:
> Ken Tilton <·········@gmail.com>:
>
>>http://www.tilton-technology.com/fg_tibco.html
>>

> Me:
>
>>>One of us is using this as a concrete case to get into Common Lisp
>>>and Tcl/Tk - by porting it to XP.
>>

> Ken Tilton <·········@gmail.com>:
>
>>Baby steps? We call that "copy and compile", not port.
>

> Ah - no. Actually, with all that FFI stuff to mess with (when you've
> never heard of a FFI concept that's a big piece to swallow),

Oh, I thought it would just mean adding a :windows option to the CFFI
define-library (guessing at the specifics from faint memory).

>... all that
> stuff TIBCO does different on Windows, plus never having seen any
> Tcl/Tk before it *does* mean a full port - for him.

As K&R say, "Hello world" is nothing to sniff at.

>>Hell, I have a
>>screenshot of my full-blown Algebra interactive tutorial running on
>>SBCL/OS X with pretty pictures, goofy sounds, anti-aliased text...
>

> Yeah - using Togl. I know <g>. But that's exactly what I've tried to
> avoid. No nice gimmicks that draw you away from all the real work and
> the real tasks ...

I call it "keeping the development team amused".

Actually, the sound and graphics, once added, totally transformed the
application and even opened up a potential new revenue stream down the
road. Many hypercritical previewers have loved the silliness, where I
had expected a /lot/ of pushback. The crazy thing is that it does not
detract from the seriousness of the application. Not sure how that works.

> But, yeah, I think getting a Ping sound from the Listener when a message
> arrives that satisfies a specific pattern - yeah, that would be a
> useful feature.

Not a klaxon? Should have one somewhere. Could get old, I guess.

>>I have an idea. Have them enhance it, turn it into a machine that goes
>>PING! Every widget can play it's own sound. I can send along some
>>perfect WAVs for that, even have a manual typewriter key action if you
>>had a keyboard -- drives the user nuts. Use Snack (now part of Tcl, I
>>believe), no need for OpenAL, a lot simpler than Togl.
>>
>>jes' thinkin' out loud...
>

> Been playing with it - after having seen that "require snack" line in
> a recent version of Celtk ;-)

This sort of thing (and Togl!) is big differentiator from Cells-Gtk.

> Helmut (the guy working on the port) will be pleased to see he can
> actually enhance the app - after just two weeks. Makes for a good
> motivation to go even deeper into Lisp.

Make sure he has my email.

> Can't wait to test a fairly complete version of Algebra...

Verrry close to finishing the framework so I can just churn out content.
Working on that between NFL replays.

kt

From: Vagif Verdi
From: Vagif Verdi
From: Ken Tilton
Vagif Verdi wrote:
> Never mind. Found it.

Cool. Don't hesitate to contact me directly as new challenges arise.
Cello is especially challenging, esp. with the C glue to FTGL. And IIANM
I still have not resubscribed to the Cello list.

kt