From: perry
Subject: Embedding Lisp Core in a Java Application
Hello,

I'm sort of new to lisp, and I'd like to work with it more.  I'd really
like to embed an implementation, such as SBCL, in Java applications.  A
good example that I've run across is Cusp, Lisp for Eclipse.  I suppose
my question is,

Where can I find good documentation on embedding lisp?

I know with Cusp Tim Jasko was able to start and connect to a SBCL core
via swank in SLIME.  I'd like to model this approach.

I really appreciate any help, I'm very excited about using lisp.

Thanks,
Roy.

·······@gmail.com

From: Pascal Bourguignon
Subject: Re: Embedding Lisp Core in a Java Application
"perry" <·······@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I'm sort of new to lisp, and I'd like to work with it more.  I'd really
> like to embed an implementation, such as SBCL, in Java applications.  A
> good example that I've run across is Cusp, Lisp for Eclipse.  I suppose
> my question is,
>
> Where can I find good documentation on embedding lisp?

Have a look at ABCL, Armed Bear Common Lisp, which is a Common Lisp
implementation running in JVM and well integrated with Java.

The world will now reboot.  don't bother saving your artefacts.
From: Alex Mizrahi
(message (Hello 'perry)
(you :wrote  :on '(6 Jan 2007 19:39:48 -0800))
(

 p> Where can I find good documentation on embedding lisp?

if that's Java, you'd better get ABCL -- from Java point of view it's just
some library in a jar, from Lisp point of view it's Common Lisp. you can
both call Java methods from Lisp and Lisp methods from Java, former should
be a bit easier using jfli-abcl library.
you can find examples of both in abcl-web (ABCL loaded into a Tomcat
servlet) -- http://abcl-web.sf.net/
it's not documented, but i think you'll find how to use it if you're hacker
:).
if you'll need some assistance, you can contact me, or ABCL's mailing list.

)
"People who lust for the Feel of keys on their fingertips (c) Inity")
From: Kjetil S. Matheussen
On Sun, 7 Jan 2007, Alex Mizrahi wrote:

> (message (Hello 'perry)
> (you :wrote  :on '(6 Jan 2007 19:39:48 -0800))
> (
>
> p> Where can I find good documentation on embedding lisp?
>
> if that's Java, you'd better get ABCL -- from Java point of view it's just
> some library in a jar, from Lisp point of view it's Common Lisp. you can
> both call Java methods from Lisp and Lisp methods from Java, former should
> be a bit easier using jfli-abcl library.
> you can find examples of both in abcl-web (ABCL loaded into a Tomcat
> servlet) -- http://abcl-web.sf.net/
> it's not documented, but i think you'll find how to use it if you're hacker
> :).
> if you'll need some assistance, you can contact me, or ABCL's mailing list.

How would you compare ABCL to Kawa, except that one is CL and the other
scheme?
From: Alex Mizrahi
(message (Hello 'Kjetil)
(you :wrote  :on '(Sun, 7 Jan 2007 20:53:06 +0100))
(

 KSM> How would you compare ABCL to Kawa, except that one is CL and the
 KSM> other scheme?

unfortunately i'm not familiar with Scheme, thus i didn't evaluate Kawa..
i suspect Kawa is more mature, but i think they have aprox equal features. i
see Kawa comes with built-in XML and HTML libs, but you can get usual Common
Lisp libs working in ABCL, so it's just matter of choosing between Common
Lisp and Scheme.
as for maturity, ABCL is being developed mainly by just one person, and it's
quite young -- but using it intensively, i can say it's quality is quite
good.

)
"People who lust for the Feel of keys on their fingertips (c) Inity")