From: Mladen Srdic
Subject: UML tool
Hello everyone.Is there an UML modeling tool which can generate CL code
as an output?
I checked a couple of tools,but none of them supports CL.So,when
planning a mid-sized or large projects,which tools do you use?
Thanks in advance,
     Mladen.

From: Ken Tilton
Subject: Re: UML tool
Mladen Srdic wrote:
> Hello everyone.Is there an UML modeling tool which can generate CL code
> as an output?
> I checked a couple of tools,but none of them supports CL.So,when
> planning a mid-sized or large projects,which tools do you use?
> Thanks in advance,
>      Mladen.

See Paul Graham's stuff. We do the planning in Lisp, which is abstract
enough and richer than UML. The good news is that by the time the
planning is done we can ship.

So you need a CL->UML tool to satisfy the PHBs.

:)

hth,kenny

--
The Dalai Lama gets the same crap all the time.
   -- Kenny Tilton on c.l.l when accused of immodesty
From: Ken Tilton
Ken Tilton wrote:

> Mladen Srdic wrote:
>
>> Hello everyone.Is there an UML modeling tool which can generate CL code
>> as an output?
>> I checked a couple of tools,but none of them supports CL.So,when
>> planning a mid-sized or large projects,which tools do you use?
>> Thanks in advance,
>>      Mladen.
>>

> See Paul Graham's stuff. We do the planning in Lisp, which is abstract
> enough and richer than UML. The good news is that by the time the
> planning is done we can ship.
>
> So you need a CL->UML tool to satisfy the PHBs.
>
> :)

PS. I have in fact done/am doing/know of mid-large projects being done
this way. Mine was successful/is going insanely well. The cost of
revision in the face of the unplanned for which is substantial when one
Just Dives In is so small that the cost of a separate planning effort
cannot be justified (partly because those do not think of everything
either).

ie, Yes, we are all cowboys.

kt

From: ········@gmail.com
> Hello everyone.Is there an UML modeling tool which can generate CL code
> as an output?
> I checked a couple of tools,but none of them supports CL.So,when
> planning a mid-sized or large projects,which tools do you use?
> Thanks in advance,

Dunno if this help, but you might find it interesting:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.lisp/browse_frm/thread/750dda46e53ebc3b/54b80f038c758667
From: Mladen Srdic
········@gmail.com wrote:

> Dunno if this help, but you might find it interesting:
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.lisp/browse_frm/thread/750dda46e53ebc3b/54b80f038c758667

Thanks a lot everyone.I found an answer in a given thread.Took a lot of
time to read it,though. :-)
From: Frank Goenninger DG1SBG
"Mladen Srdic" <··········@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello everyone.Is there an UML modeling tool which can generate CL code
> as an output?
> I checked a couple of tools,but none of them supports CL.So,when
> planning a mid-sized or large projects,which tools do you use?
> Thanks in advance,
>      Mladen.

Never generated code directly from a UML diagram. We do use UML to
document process descriptions with our clients. Using Visual Paradigm
we had very good results as we needed a cross platform (Mac OS X and
Windows XP) tool:

http://www.visual-paradigm.com/product/vpuml/

Free for learning. You pay if you want to use it for real commercial
use. Fair pricing IMO, though.

VP can be tweaked to generate Lisp code - if you really need it ...

Frank

--
  PRION Consulting Services AG
  Product Lifecycle Management Optimiziation