From: ········@gmail.com
Subject: Lisp as an ODBC data source
Hello,

I consider a scenario where I would like to have Lisp data and
functions accessed from other applications (including common
spreadsheet apps). I thought it could be possible to arrange the
situation in such a way that ODBC could be used. I suppose I would
have to build a mod_lisp-like data driver talking to a lisp e.g. using
TCP/IP, as most lisps are not good in making shared libraries.

The questions are:
- is it reasonable think to do -  is there some showstopper there I
can't see, or is there some easier way to talk to lisp from generic
app?
- just by chance, has it already been done? (I googled only using ODBC
data, not being source, but just in case)

Regards,

Tomas Zellerin

From: ·······@gmail.com
Subject: Re: Lisp as an ODBC data source
On Feb 28, 12:18 pm, ·········@gmail.com" <········@gmail.com> wrote:

> I consider a scenario where I would like to have Lisp data and
> functions accessed from other applications (including common
> spreadsheet apps). I thought it could be possible to arrange the
> situation in such a way that ODBC could be used. I suppose I would
> have to build a mod_lisp-like data driver talking to a lisp e.g. using
> TCP/IP, as most lisps are not good in making shared libraries.

Why don't you simply use a CL implementation that /can/ create
shared libraries like LispWorks, AllegroCL, or Corman Lisp?

Cheers,
Edi.
From: ········@gmail.com
On 28 Feb, 12:41, ·······@gmail.com wrote:
> On Feb 28, 12:18 pm, ·········@gmail.com" <········@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I consider a scenario where I would like to have Lisp data and
> > functions accessed from other applications (including common
> > spreadsheet apps). I thought it could be possible to arrange the
> > situation in such a way that ODBC could be used. I suppose I would
> > have to build a mod_lisp-like data driver talking to a lisp e.g. using
> > TCP/IP, as most lisps are not good in making shared libraries.
>
> Why don't you simply use a CL implementation that /can/ create
> shared libraries like LispWorks, AllegroCL, or Corman Lisp?

To be honest, primary reason is that I don't have much experience with
them (I tried their free versions in past, but was not convinced). But
anyway, as the driver is supposed to be loaded fresh in the each ODBC
using applications, I would still rather have it separate and small
and have the lisp image with the data running as a daemon elsewhere
and once only.

Tomas
From: Dmitriy Ivanov
 Hello Tomas,

z> On 28 Feb, 12:41, ·······@gmail.com wrote:
z>> On Feb 28, 12:18 pm, ·········@gmail.com" <········@gmail.com> wrote:
z>>
z> >> I consider a scenario where I would like to have Lisp data and
z> >> functions accessed from other applications (including common
z> >> spreadsheet apps). I thought it could be possible to arrange the
z> >> situation in such a way that ODBC could be used. I suppose I
z> >> would have to build a mod_lisp-like data driver talking to a lisp
z> >> e.g. using TCP/IP, as most lisps are not good in making shared
z> >> libraries.
z>>
z>> Why don't you simply use a CL implementation that /can/ create
z>> shared libraries like LispWorks, AllegroCL, or Corman Lisp?
z>>
z>
z> To be honest, primary reason is that I don't have much experience
z> with them (I tried their free versions in past, but was not
z> convinced). But anyway, as the driver is supposed to be loaded fresh
z> in the each ODBC using applications, I would still rather have it
z> separate and small and have the lisp image with the data running as
z> a daemon elsewhere and once only.

I would consider ODBC to be the choice only if you wanted your daemon to
interoperate with applications written in languages other than Lisp. That
would mean that the Lisp image acts like a relational DBMS in RAM.

If you plan to deal with raw TCP/IP and only Lisp clients, you can rely on a
kind of S-expressions to interact with your Lisp server. That would be
easier (and more flexible) than providing support of the huge ODBC
specification.
--
Sincerely,
Dmitriy Ivanov
From: Chris Parker
On Feb 28, 5:18 am, ·········@gmail.com" <········@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I consider a scenario where I would like to have Lisp data and
> functions accessed from other applications (including common
> spreadsheet apps). I thought it could be possible to arrange the
> situation in such a way that ODBC could be used. I suppose I would
> have to build a mod_lisp-like data driver talking to a lisp e.g. using
> TCP/IP, as most lisps are not good in making shared libraries.
>
> The questions are:
> - is it reasonable think to do -  is there some showstopper there I
> can't see, or is there some easier way to talk to lisp from generic
> app?
> - just by chance, has it already been done? (I googled only using ODBC
> data, not being source, but just in case)
>
> Regards,
>
> Tomas Zellerin

That would rock so friggin hard.  Spending all day in a database, I am
sick and tired of having to tell the system about intergers and floats
and varchars when it is 2007 and I should be able to use a database to
easily store data and not worry about the data type.

look at unixodbc
From: John Thingstad
On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 12:18:10 +0100, ········@gmail.com
<········@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I consider a scenario where I would like to have Lisp data and
> functions accessed from other applications (including common
> spreadsheet apps). I thought it could be possible to arrange the
> situation in such a way that ODBC could be used. I suppose I would
> have to build a mod_lisp-like data driver talking to a lisp e.g. using
> TCP/IP, as most lisps are not good in making shared libraries.
>
> The questions are:
> - is it reasonable think to do -  is there some showstopper there I
> can't see, or is there some easier way to talk to lisp from generic
> app?
> - just by chance, has it already been done? (I googled only using ODBC
> data, not being source, but just in case)
>
> Regards,
>
> Tomas Zellerin

To share data between applications you need Dynamic Data Exchange. (DDE)
ODBC allows you to connect to databases.
LispWorks and Allegro allow you to use DDE. (Windows)

CL-SQL is a free library that supports ODBC.

From: Alex Mizrahi
(message (Hello 'John)
(you :wrote  :on '(Wed, 28 Feb 2007 17:12:27 +0100))
(

 JT> To share data between applications you need Dynamic Data Exchange.
 JT> (DDE)

DDE is obsoleted some 10-15 years ago.

)
"?? ???? ??????? ?????")
From: ············@gmail.com
On Feb 28, 3:18 am, ·········@gmail.com" <········@gmail.com> wrote:
> I consider a scenario where I would like to have Lisp data and
> functions accessed from other applications (including common
> spreadsheet apps).

That's kind of the idea behind SLIME, right? -- Emacs talks to a CL
over a socket.  You'll just have to set up the socket code yourself
for accessing the Lisp server process.

I think Allegro CL supports a kind of RPC also, but it might only be
Lisp - to - Lisp.

mfh
From: Alex Mizrahi
(message (Hello ·············@gmail.com)
(you :wrote  :on '(1 Mar 2007 11:43:51 -0800))
(

 ??>> I consider a scenario where I would like to have Lisp data and
 ??>> functions accessed from other applications (including common
 ??>> spreadsheet apps).

 mh> That's kind of the idea behind SLIME, right? -- Emacs talks to a CL
 mh> over a socket.  You'll just have to set up the socket code yourself
 mh> for accessing the Lisp server process.

 mh> I think Allegro CL supports a kind of RPC also, but it might only be
 mh> Lisp - to - Lisp.

there is relatively portable S-XML-RPC that implements XML-RPC protocol
(both client and server), that is available for most languages.

)