From: zlatozar
Subject: First real Lisp  project
Hi All,

I've just finished "Practical Common Lisp" and I'm eager to make
something real. Something that cover many chapters from the book. I
realy miss examples at the end of the chapters. But to make project
"real" I suggested to my colleagues to create the following module for
our project. Here is the task.

1. Parse project log file for messages. For example "A new connection
is open", "Connection close"
2. Create a statistic and save it in a file
3. Make a draw from given statistic (file)
4. Send an email with attached nice picture.

For parsing I will use regular expresion and CL-PPCRE fits perfect.
I haven't got expirience with third party libraries so it is very
dificult to me to find a proper one for graphing? Is there somehing
like "rrdpython"?

Could you guide me a little please? What is your approach for this
task?

Many thanks in advance.
Zlatozar

From: D Herring
Subject: Re: First real Lisp  project
zlatozar wrote:
> For parsing I will use regular expresion and CL-PPCRE fits perfect.
> I haven't got expirience with third party libraries so it is very
> dificult to me to find a proper one for graphing? Is there somehing
> like "rrdpython"?

Try gnuplot.  It is controlled through a simple ASCII stream; its very
easy to write your own Lisp interface, or there are some already available.

- Daniel
From: Harold Lee
On Feb 17, 10:17 pm, D Herring <········@at.tentpost.dot.com> wrote:
> zlatozar wrote:
> > For parsing I will use regular expresion and CL-PPCRE fits perfect.
> > I haven't got expirience with third party libraries so it is very
> > dificult to me to find a proper one for graphing? Is there somehing
> > like "rrdpython"?
>
> Try gnuplot.  It is controlled through a simple ASCII stream; its very
> easy to write your own Lisp interface, or there are some already available.
>
> - Daniel

gnuplot is great - but if you don't want the external dependency, you
might check out CL-PNG if the graph you want to make is really simple
(like a bar or line graph of some statistic over time):

http://www.cliki.net/CL-PNG

This library is really easy to use, and is even available as a Debian
package, so you can apt-get install cl-png.