From: ·····@evins.net
Subject: ANNOUNCE: Bosco 0.8 Available
I am pleased to announce that Bosco 0.8 is available for download
from:

  ftp://clozure.com/pub/testing/bosco-0.8.tar.gz

Bosco is a simple framework for construction of Mac OS X applications,
using OpenMCL.

Bosco 0.8 is substantially the same as the Bosco 0.7 release, with the
exception that it includes a new example, "OpenMCL", which builds a
working (but incomplete) version of a Cocoa-based integrated
development environment for OpenMCL. This IDE is built on the same
example code that has been distributed for several years with OpenMCL.
Both the IDE code and Bosco itself have been changed in several minor
ways in order to support this example project. You can read more
details about the IDE example in the file

  examples/OpenMCL/README

That README file includes both an explanation of how to build and run
the IDE example, and, more importantly, a discussion of the method
used to make supporting OpenMCL files available on a target system
when installing the example. The same method can be used to provide
supporting files for any Cocoa application built with OpenMCL, and the
README explains how to do that.

Like Bosco 0.7, Bosco 0.8 supports building Cocoa applications (but
not Carbon applications). Like Bosco 0.7 (but unlike previous
versions), Bosco 0.8 provides no built-in support for attaching an
interactive terminal session to a running application. I expect to
restore this feature in a future release.

Like Bosco 0.7, Bosco 0.8 provides a shell script for easily creating
new Cocoa projects in OpenMCL; for instructions on creating your own
project, see the section "How To Create a Bosco Project", in the
README file distributed with Bosco 0.8.

Compatibility
-------------

This release has been tested with the 061205 snapshot of OpenMCL. It
should work on later snapshots and releases as well.

Bosco currently works only on Mac OS X PPC. I expect to release a
future version of Bosco that supports the Intel Core 2 Duo.

Sample Code
-----------

Bosco 0.8 includes a sample project called SimpleEdit. SimpleEdit is a
simple, but fully-functioning text editor designed to very closely
resemble the Apple example at

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Cocoa/Conceptual/TextArchitecture/Tasks/TextEditor.html

It is close enough, in fact, that you can read through that Apple
example and the sample code provided in SimpleEdit, and see how the
Lisp code in SimpleEdit corresponds to the Objective-C code in Apple's
example.

It also includes a new example project, OpenMCL, which builds the
OpenMCL.app IDE. See the README in the OpenMCL example directory for a
discussion of how to build and deploy applications that include
substantial libraries of support files (for example, the load-on-
demand sources and Cocoa interface files used by the OpenMCL.app
example).

Future Bosco releases will include additional example projects.

License
-------

Bosco 0.8 is released under the New BSD license.

Support
-------

If you have questions about Bosco 0.8, or suggestions for future
development, please send them to the OpenMCL-devel mailing list. For
more information about the mailing list, see

From: Rainer Joswig
Subject: Re: ANNOUNCE: Bosco 0.8 Available
In article <·······················@q2g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
 ······@evins.net" <·····@evins.net> wrote:

> I am pleased to announce that Bosco 0.8 is available for download
> from:
>
>   ftp://clozure.com/pub/testing/bosco-0.8.tar.gz
>
> Bosco is a simple framework for construction of Mac OS X applications,
> using OpenMCL.

For those interested, Gary Byers just today published a new snapshot
of an early version of OpenMCL 1.1.

http://openmcl.clozure.com/
http://clozure.com/pipermail/openmcl-devel/2007-February/003739.html

OpenMCL now is running on DarwinPPC32/64, LinuxPPC32/64,
DarwinX8664, LinuxX8664, and FreeBSDX8664.

Note that there are only 64bit versions of OpenMCL for the X86
architecture.

For Mac OS X this means that we will see Cocoa support with
Mac OS X 10.5. Apple then will have 64bit versions of
Cocoa (and all kinds of other libraries). Now we only need
an ARM port (for the iPhone. ;-)

OpenMCL is a relatively small Common Lisp implementation
which compiles in a few minutes on current Macs. It
supports native threads and multiple cores.

OpenMCL can nicely run libraries and tools such as:

* ACL2
  http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/moore/acl2/

* Common Music
  http://commonmusic.sourceforge.net/doc/cm.html

* GBBOpen
  http://gbbopen.org/

and others...

Here is an Overview and History of OpenMCL from 2005:

http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/moore/acl2/seminar/openmcl-overview.pdf

Btw., the ACL2 seminar had quite a few interesting Lisp-related talks:

http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/moore/acl2/seminar/

So, check out OpenMCL and Bosco...