From: einjun
Subject: MOP in Java? (Groovy)
Has MOP been implemented in languages other than lisp?
I was surprised to see the developerworks article on MOP in groovy.

http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/java/library/j-pg09205/

From: Ken Tilton
Subject: Re: MOP in Java? (Groovy)
einjun wrote:
> Has MOP been implemented in languages other than lisp?

Python is a sort of meta-object free-for-all.

> I was surprised to see the developerworks article on MOP in groovy.
>
> http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/java/library/j-pg09205/

"Groovy moves the Meta Object Protocol out of the lab and into your apps"

So I am working in a lab? That would explain all the beakers.

"The Meta Object Protocol is not unique to Groovy, nor was it invented
by Groovy's makers. In fact, it can trace its lineage to LISP and to
some of the people behind AOP."

Hmmm, they know Lisp has it and they still say "out of the lab". Hmmm...
I guess I am OK with "Lisp, the Perpetual Experiment".

Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and
I'm happy to state I finally won out over it.
                                   -- Elwood P. Dowd

In this world, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.
                                   -- Elwood's Mom
From: ·················@gmail.com
On Feb 12, 4:27 pm, "einjun" <········@gmail.com> wrote:
> Has MOP been implemented in languages other than lisp?
> I was surprised to see the developerworks article on MOP in groovy.
>
> http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/java/library/j-pg09205/

Lots of dynamic languages have a MOP. I know of Smalltalk, Ruby,
Python and now Groovy, but
I am sure there are others.

    Michele Simionato
From: Pascal Costanza
·················@gmail.com wrote:
> On Feb 12, 4:27 pm, "einjun" <········@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Has MOP been implemented in languages other than lisp?
>> I was surprised to see the developerworks article on MOP in groovy.
>>
>> http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/java/library/j-pg09205/
>
> Lots of dynamic languages have a MOP. I know of Smalltalk, Ruby,
> Python and now Groovy, but
> I am sure there are others.

This is correct. The CLOS MOP is unique in that it was one of the first
attempts to design a MOP in a principled way, whereas other MOPs up
until then were more incidental by-products (for example the MOP in
Smalltalk, which really isn't a MOP but rather a beefed-up introspection
API).

On a first glance, the Groovy MOP doesn't seem too interesting, but
maybe I am missing something.

Pascal

--
My website: http://p-cos.net