From: csledge
Subject: Lisp on windows
Hi All,
           I wish to learn lisp on the Windows platform. I have Cygwin
installed. What is the
package I should install. Also Thank you all for your response to my
question regarding
lisp/Scheme.
Thanks
Sunil

From: Ken Tilton
Subject: Re: Lisp on windows
csledge wrote:
> Hi All,
>            I wish to learn lisp on the Windows platform. I have Cygwin
> installed. What is the
> package I should install. Also Thank you all for your response to my
> question regarding
> lisp/Scheme.

(a) delete cygwin from your hard drive. that will leave you room to...
(b) ...install the AllegroCL trial version. There is nothing like it,
including the Lispworks Trial version.

Once you have learned lisp you are free to throw away your life on some
open CL. CLisp looks pretty rockin'.

kzo

--
Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and
I'm happy to state I finally won out over it.

In this world, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.
                                   -- Elwood's Mom
From: Rob Thorpe
On Feb 1, 6:49 am, "csledge" <·········@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>            I wish to learn lisp on the Windows platform. I have Cygwin
> installed. What is the
> package I should install. Also Thank you all for your response to my
> question regarding
> lisp/Scheme.

In addition to those Lisp already mentioned "ecl" and "sbcl" work on
MS Windows too.
Search the web for those terms and you will find their websites, which
have binary installs.

Regarding Scheme, PLT-Scheme works on windows, as do many others.
That is the one I would recommend though, search the web for that
term.
From: John Thingstad
On Thu, 01 Feb 2007 07:49:07 +0100, csledge <·········@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>            I wish to learn lisp on the Windows platform. I have Cygwin
> installed. What is the
> package I should install. Also Thank you all for your response to my
> question regarding
> lisp/Scheme.
> Thanks
> Sunil

1. easy
I like LispWorks for Windows. There is a free limited Personal edition.
www.lispworks.com

2. also easy
There is LispInABox (Peter Seibel)
common-lisp.net/project/lispbox/

You can use ACL www.franz.com or CLISP clisp.cons.org

3. bit of work
Well with cygwin you should already have Emacs and CLISP..
Get Slime (emacs mode) hook it up to CLISP and you are ready to go.
common-lisp.net/project/slime/

These suggestions and more here:
www.cliki.net/index

(Never liked ACL windows interface and Corman Lisp has too many
  compatibility problems with ANSI CL for my taste.)

From: ············@gmail.com
On 2¤ë1¤é, ¤U¤È4®É26¤À, "John Thingstad" <··············@chello.no> wrote:
> On Thu, 01 Feb 2007 07:49:07 +0100, csledge <·········@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >            I wish to learn lisp on the Windows platform. I have Cygwin
> > installed. What is the
> > package I should install. Also Thank you all for your response to my
> > question regarding
> > lisp/Scheme.
> > Thanks
> > Sunil
>
> 1. easy
> I like LispWorks for Windows. There is a free limited Personal edition.www.lispworks.com
   I have tried Lispworks, but I still don't know how to make a
hotkey(with keyboard that is) to copy text and paste text, and how to
delete multiple text??

   Thanks
From: Pascal Costanza
············@gmail.com wrote:
> On 2��1��, �U��4��26��, "John Thingstad" <··············@chello.no> wrote:
>> On Thu, 01 Feb 2007 07:49:07 +0100, csledge <·········@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>>            I wish to learn lisp on the Windows platform. I have Cygwin
>>> installed. What is the
>>> package I should install. Also Thank you all for your response to my
>>> question regarding
>>> lisp/Scheme.
>>> Thanks
>>> Sunil
>> 1. easy
>> I like LispWorks for Windows. There is a free limited Personal edition.www.lispworks.com
>    I have tried Lispworks, but I still don't know how to make a
> hotkey(with keyboard that is) to copy text and paste text, and how to
> delete multiple text??

There is a preferences setting that allows you to switch from the
default Emacs
keybindings to Windows keybindings. (At least there is such a setting
for switching
to Mac keybindings on Mac OS X, and I would be surprised if such a
setting were
not available in LispWorks for Windows.)

Pascal

--
My website: http://p-cos.net
From: John Thingstad
On Thu, 01 Feb 2007 10:43:51 +0100, Pascal Costanza <··@p-cos.net> wrote:

> ············@gmail.com wrote:
>> On 2月1日, 下午4時26分, "John Thingstad" <··············@chello.no>
>> wrote:
>>> 1. easy
>>> I like LispWorks for Windows. There is a free limited Personal
>>> edition.www.lispworks.com
>>    I have tried Lispworks, but I still don't know how to make a
>> hotkey(with keyboard that is) to copy text and paste text, and how to
>> delete multiple text??
>
> There is a preferences setting that allows you to switch from the
> default Emacs
> keybindings to Windows keybindings. (At least there is such a setting
> for switching
> to Mac keybindings on Mac OS X, and I would be surprised if such a
> setting were
> not available in LispWorks for Windows.)
>

> Pascal

There is: The menu selection Tools:Preferences:Emulation
allows you to set the keys to MS standard.

By the way the Emacs way (default) is:

Ctrl-Space start selection
Ctrl-w Kill text from start selection to cursor and put it in the kill ring
Ctrl-y Yank text from kill ring
Alt-y Yank next from yank ring

Note that it works different than windows standard.
To copy text: delete it, yank it and then yank it again to copy.
The yank ring holds the last 16 kills and Alt-y allows you
to cycle through them. That should be enough to get the idea.
It takes a bit getting used to.

example:
<Ctrl-Space>This is the text I marked<Ctrl-w><Ctrl-y>
I want the copy beneth this line:
<Ctrl-y>

They work with the clipboard too.

To get a basic idea of how to use Emacs start regular Emacs from Cygwin
Bash and
follow the tutorial. <Ctrl>-h-t

From: codeforger
On Feb 1, 10:09 am, "John Thingstad" <··············@chello.no> wrote:
..snip..
> By the way the Emacs way (default) is:
>
> Ctrl-Space start selection
> Ctrl-w Kill text from start selection to cursor and put it in the kill ring
> Ctrl-y Yank text from kill ring
> Alt-y Yank next from yank ring
>
> Note that it works different than windows standard.
> To copy text: delete it, yank it and then yank it again to copy.
> The yank ring holds the last 16 kills and Alt-y allows you
> to cycle through them. That should be enough to get the idea.
> It takes a bit getting used to.
Or you could use Alt-w instead of Ctrl-w as this copies the selection
to the kill ring without deleting it.
From: Giorgos Keramidas
On Thu, 01 Feb 2007 11:09:10 +0100, "John Thingstad" <··············@chello.no> wrote:

> [regarding Lispworks keyboard shortcuts on Windows]
>
> There is: The menu selection Tools:Preferences:Emulation
> allows you to set the keys to MS standard.
>
> By the way the Emacs way (default) is:
>
> Ctrl-Space start selection
> Ctrl-w Kill text from start selection to cursor and put it in the kill ring
> Ctrl-y Yank text from kill ring
> Alt-y Yank next from yank ring

If Emacs keys are emulated well enough, you may even use Alt-w for:

,-----------------------------------------------------------------------
| M-w runs the command kill-ring-save
|   which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `simple.el'.
| It is bound to <C-insertchar>, <C-insert>, M-w.
| (kill-ring-save BEG END)
|
| Save the region as if killed, but don't kill it.
| In Transient Mark mode, deactivate the mark.
| If `interprogram-cut-function' is non-nil, also save the text for a window
| system cut and paste.
|
| If you want to append the killed line to the last killed text,
| use C-M-w before M-w.
|
| This command is similar to `copy-region-as-kill', except that it gives
| visual feedback indicating the extent of the region being copied.
`-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't use Windows, so I don't know if Alt-w works in Lispworks, but
it's definitely worth a try.
From: John Thingstad
On Tue, 06 Feb 2007 09:52:58 +0100, Giorgos Keramidas
<········@ceid.upatras.gr> wrote:

> I don't use Windows, so I don't know if Alt-w works in Lispworks, but
> it's definitely worth a try.

For the record. It does!
(My Emacs experiences go back to version 18.
I probaly just kept on doing things the old way never learning it.)

From: Neil Cerutti
On 2007-02-01, John Thingstad <··············@chello.no> wrote:
> 3. bit of work Well with cygwin you should already have Emacs
> and CLISP.. Get Slime (emacs mode) hook it up to CLISP and you
> are ready to go. common-lisp.net/project/slime/

Unfortunately, getting Emacs to work right in Cygwin is a PITA.
The Windows console that is used by default screws up the Emacs
keycodes before they get to the app.

But if want to try the Emacs on Cygwin route, then get PuttyCyg,
which comes with Putty.

--
Neil Cerutti
From: Pascal Bourguignon
Neil Cerutti <·······@yahoo.com> writes:

> On 2007-02-01, John Thingstad <··············@chello.no> wrote:
>> 3. bit of work Well with cygwin you should already have Emacs
>> and CLISP.. Get Slime (emacs mode) hook it up to CLISP and you
>> are ready to go. common-lisp.net/project/slime/
>
> Unfortunately, getting Emacs to work right in Cygwin is a PITA.
> The Windows console that is used by default screws up the Emacs
> keycodes before they get to the app.
>
> But if want to try the Emacs on Cygwin route, then get PuttyCyg,
> which comes with Putty.

Just install X and use emacs with X on cygwin...

From: Lei
Xemacs can be installed directly in windows and can be configured with
slime.

From: Rob Thorpe
On Feb 1, 3:10 pm, Neil Cerutti <·······@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On 2007-02-01, John Thingstad <··············@chello.no> wrote:
>
> > 3. bit of work Well with cygwin you should already have Emacs
> > and CLISP.. Get Slime (emacs mode) hook it up to CLISP and you
> > are ready to go. common-lisp.net/project/slime/
>
> Unfortunately, getting Emacs to work right in Cygwin is a PITA.
> The Windows console that is used by default screws up the Emacs
> keycodes before they get to the app.
>
> But if want to try the Emacs on Cygwin route, then get PuttyCyg,
> which comes with Putty.

Using Normal Emacs for Windows with Cygwin is easier than making the
Cygwin build of Emacs work.
From: ·······@gmail.com
On Feb 1, 7:49 am, "csledge" <·········@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I wish to learn lisp on the Windows platform.

You could try this:

  http://weitz.de/starter-pack/

Cheers,
Edi.