From: Jeff Cunningham
Subject: Any Lisp ported to the Cyrix Samuel 2 processor?
I have a mini-ITX motherboard that has a VIA C3 (Samuel 2) processor and
I'd like to run Lisp on it for a remote application. So far I haven't been
able to find a version of Lisp I can install on it. Any suggestions?

--Jeff

From: Jeff Cunningham
Subject: Re: Any Lisp ported to the Cyrix Samuel 2 processor?
On Mon, 24 Dec 2007 10:39:04 -0800, Jeff Cunningham wrote:

> I have a mini-ITX motherboard that has a VIA C3 (Samuel 2) processor and
> I'd like to run Lisp on it for a remote application. So far I haven't been
> able to find a version of Lisp I can install on it. Any suggestions?
>
> --Jeff

I should have added that I'm running Linux on it.

JKC
From: vanekl
On Dec 24, 6:39 pm, Jeff Cunningham <·······@cunningham.net> wrote:
> I have a mini-ITX motherboard that has a VIA C3 (Samuel 2) processor and
> I'd like to run Lisp on it for a remote application. So far I haven't been
> able to find a version of Lisp I can install on it. Any suggestions?
>
> --Jeff

First I would make sure gcc was installed, then I would go here:
http://www.mattknox.com/littlelisps.html
From: Alex Mizrahi
 JC> I have a mini-ITX motherboard that has a VIA C3 (Samuel 2) processor
 JC> and I'd like to run Lisp on it for a remote application. So far I
 JC> haven't been able to find a version of Lisp I can install on it. Any
 JC> suggestions?

VIA C3 is x86 processor, compatible with Pentium III as wikipedia says.
i suspect *any* x86 Lisp should work on it.
From: vanekl
On Dec 24, 8:11 pm, "Alex Mizrahi" <········@users.sourceforge.net>
wrote:
>  JC> I have a mini-ITX motherboard that has a VIA C3 (Samuel 2) processor
>  JC> and I'd like to run Lisp on it for a remote application. So far I
>  JC> haven't been able to find a version of Lisp I can install on it. Any
>  JC> suggestions?
>
> VIA C3 is x86 processor, compatible with Pentium III as wikipedia says.
> i suspect *any* x86 Lisp should work on it.

... assuming somebody has already compiled and made available an
executable that matches Jeff's system.

If he has to compile his own Lisp, he also may have to take into
account the multi-stage bootstrapping process that some Lisps go
through. For example, SBCL requires a pre-installed Lisp when
undergoing the usual build process. Such prerequisites are harder to
fulfill on some systems.
From: Alex Mizrahi
 ??>> VIA C3 is x86 processor, compatible with Pentium III as wikipedia
 ??>> says. i suspect *any* x86 Lisp should work on it.

 v> ... assuming somebody has already compiled and made available an
 v> executable that matches Jeff's system.

i bet Jeff's problem is that he have installed some weird Linux.
he should install something less weird, i.e. Debian GNU/Linux, that should
work on his system (i don't think it has something *that* special), and it
has all kinds of Lisps precompiled.
and installing is easy: aptitude install sbcl

however i think precompiled version should work too (that's how i installed
latest SBCL on Debian), unless he has really weird Linux.

 v> If he has to compile his own Lisp, he also may have to take into
 v> account the multi-stage bootstrapping process that some Lisps go
 v> through. For example, SBCL requires a pre-installed Lisp when
 v> undergoing the usual build process. Such prerequisites are harder to
 v> fulfill on some systems.

having gcc you can compile CLISP. then we can build SBCL. i do not see
anything hard.
From: Juho Snellman
"Alex Mizrahi" <········@users.sourceforge.net> writes:
>  v> If he has to compile his own Lisp, he also may have to take into
>  v> account the multi-stage bootstrapping process that some Lisps go
>  v> through. For example, SBCL requires a pre-installed Lisp when
>  v> undergoing the usual build process. Such prerequisites are harder to
>  v> fulfill on some systems.
>
> having gcc you can compile CLISP. then we can build SBCL. i do not see
> anything hard.

CLisp does not work reliably as a SBCL build host. I think SBCL,
CMUCL, OpenMCL, ABCL and XCL are the only ones that are regularly
used.

--
Juho Snellman
From: Alexander Schreiber
Jeff Cunningham <·······@cunningham.net> wrote:
> I have a mini-ITX motherboard that has a VIA C3 (Samuel 2) processor and
> I'd like to run Lisp on it for a remote application. So far I haven't been
> able to find a version of Lisp I can install on it. Any suggestions?

VIA C3 is basically a standard 32 bit x86 CPU[0], so any Lisp for that
platform (CLisp, CMUCL, SBCL, ...) will run. Assuming you installed
Debian (or a derivate thereof, like Ubuntu) on the machine, doing

apt-get install clisp sbcl cmucl

will install all three.

For other distributions you'll have to check the available packages for
it and probably manuall build them, which is pretty easy.

Note that the SBCL in Debian or Ubuntu is pretty old, so you're probably
better off building that from source anyway.

Regards,
        Alex.
[0] It is just much slower and consumes less power than current top
    of the line Intel or AMD offerings.
 looks like work."                                      -- Thomas A. Edison