From: Blake McBride
Subject: New Interlisp interpreter release
I have released an updated copy of the Interlisp interpreter (LISPF4) I
have been making available for some time now.  It is available at:

http://blake.mcbride.name

The following is from the readme file.

This is an Interlisp interpreter originally written in Fortran but
converted to C via the F2C Fortran to C converter.  This release has
been tested under Windows NT and Linux and no longer requires F2C
or its associated runtime library.

I had used a slightly older version of this system back in the early
80's and found it very portable, reliable, functional, and fast enough.
I learned Lisp with it and spent quite a bit of time with it back then.

The author (back in 1983) is Mats Nordstrom from Uppsala, Sweden.  I
kept it around, ported it, enhanced some lisp code, and converted it
into C.  Sometime in the late 90's Mats was kind enough to give me a
copy of the latest version he had (8/22/83).  He also gave me
permission to release it so long as I retained his credits.

Interlisp is a dynamically scoped lisp system.  It has no macro facility
but supports LAMBDA (evaluates function arguments), NLAMBDA (doesn't
evaluate its arguments), and variable number of arguments.  Macros are
not hard to simulate.

The system contains no special optimizations such as P-code but has some
good debugging and editing facilities.  It also contains all the basics
such as floating point numbers, arrays, and property lists.

Blake McBride
·····@mcbride.name

From: Blake McBride
Subject: Re: New Interlisp interpreter release
Incidentally, I just updated the packages again.  I added a pointer to
the Interlisp reference manual to the readme file.

Blake McBride
From: Kent M Pitman
Blake McBride <·····@mcbride.name> writes:

> I have released an updated copy of the Interlisp interpreter (LISPF4)
> I have been making available for some time now.  It is available at:
> http://blake.mcbride.name

Cool!

Does it have DWIM? :)
From: Blake McBride
Kent M Pitman wrote:
> Blake McBride <·····@mcbride.name> writes:
>
>> I have released an updated copy of the Interlisp interpreter (LISPF4)
>> I have been making available for some time now.  It is available at:
>> http://blake.mcbride.name
>
> Cool!
>
> Does it have DWIM? :)

No, but it could probably be added since most of the Interlisp code has
been released.  The code I am releasing was done prior to the release of
the real Interlisp code so it doesn't contain any of it.  It would
definitely be neat to add some of it.

Blake McBride
From: lin8080
Blake McBride schrieb:

> I have released an updated copy of the Interlisp interpreter (LISPF4) I
> have been making available for some time now.  It is available at:

> http://blake.mcbride.name

Just a detail:

htm-side says:
- lispf4.zip source and docs in .zip format (238k)

download is 645k
From: YANSWBVCG
From: Andreas Davour
YANSWBVCG <········@mindspring.com> writes:

> I downloaded the program and I got a segfault during make.
> This on 64-bit AMD OpenBSD 4.2. So far I have not found even one
> version of Lisp that runs on 64-bit OpenBSD. I am thinking about
> switching to either FreeBSD or some flavor of Linux to get a working
> version of Lisp (and Maxima, which requires Lisp).

You know that Interlisp is not really more than the third cousin of
Common Lisp, which is the dialect most in use today?

Have you tried the package system for OpenBSD (portage? pkgsrc? I've
forgot what it's called) for installing a Lisp? FreeBSD will work fine,
as will Linux but I can't imagine it wont work just as well on Open.

/andreas

--
A: Because it fouls the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
From: YANSWBVCG
Andreas Davour <·······@updatelike.uu.hellse> wrote:
> YANSWBVCG <········@mindspring.com> writes:
>
>> I downloaded the program and I got a segfault during make.
>> This on 64-bit AMD OpenBSD 4.2. So far I have not found even one
>> version of Lisp that runs on 64-bit OpenBSD. I am thinking about
>> switching to either FreeBSD or some flavor of Linux to get a working
>> version of Lisp (and Maxima, which requires Lisp).
>
> You know that Interlisp is not really more than the third cousin of
> Common Lisp, which is the dialect most in use today?

I'm getting desperate :-).

> Have you tried the package system for OpenBSD (portage? pkgsrc? I've
> forgot what it's called) for installing a Lisp? FreeBSD will work fine,
> as will Linux but I can't imagine it wont work just as well on Open.

The OpenBSD Lisp package doesn't work with 64-bit AMD OpenBSD. The Lisp
package is marked '386 only'. It builds with Gnu malloc but won't load
because of some kind of address resolution problem.

From: Andreas Davour
YANSWBVCG <···@puf2.localhost.comcast.net> writes:

> Andreas Davour <·······@updatelike.uu.hellse> wrote:
>> YANSWBVCG <········@mindspring.com> writes:
>>
>>> I downloaded the program and I got a segfault during make.
>>> This on 64-bit AMD OpenBSD 4.2. So far I have not found even one
>>> version of Lisp that runs on 64-bit OpenBSD. I am thinking about
>>> switching to either FreeBSD or some flavor of Linux to get a working
>>> version of Lisp (and Maxima, which requires Lisp).
>>
>> You know that Interlisp is not really more than the third cousin of
>> Common Lisp, which is the dialect most in use today?
>
> I'm getting desperate :-).
>
>> Have you tried the package system for OpenBSD (portage? pkgsrc? I've
>> forgot what it's called) for installing a Lisp? FreeBSD will work fine,
>> as will Linux but I can't imagine it wont work just as well on Open.
>
> The OpenBSD Lisp package doesn't work with 64-bit AMD OpenBSD. The Lisp
> package is marked '386 only'. It builds with Gnu malloc but won't load
> because of some kind of address resolution problem.

Ouch! I'm beginning to see why you're desperate. I didn't know that the
64-bit world was that bad supported. Come on, it's 2008 (soon) after
all!

BTW if you have bleeding edge hardware I *think* Linux is the best
option, in general, even though I vastly prefer FreeBSD myself.

Good luck.

/Andreas

--
A: Because it fouls the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
From: Daniel Weinreb
YANSWBVCG wrote:
> I downloaded the program and I got a segfault during make.
> This on 64-bit AMD OpenBSD 4.2. So far I have not found even one
> version of Lisp that runs on 64-bit OpenBSD. I am thinking about
> switching to either FreeBSD or some flavor of Linux to get a working
> version of Lisp (and Maxima, which requires Lisp).

Have you tried Embedded CL (ecls.sourceforge.net)?  It claims
to work on 64-bit OpenBSD.
From: YANSWBVCG
Daniel Weinreb <···@alum.mit.edu> wrote:
> YANSWBVCG wrote:
>> I downloaded the program and I got a segfault during make.
>> This on 64-bit AMD OpenBSD 4.2. So far I have not found even one
>> version of Lisp that runs on 64-bit OpenBSD. I am thinking about
>> switching to either FreeBSD or some flavor of Linux to get a working
>> version of Lisp (and Maxima, which requires Lisp).
>
> Have you tried Embedded CL (ecls.sourceforge.net)?  It claims
> to work on 64-bit OpenBSD.

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried downloading ecl version j, but the
download was way too slow, so then I downloaded version i, which was
quick. I did a configure and build, but make bombed out with an
unterminated ifndef error. You can see the make log at
http://dfeustel.home.mindspring.com/ecls-make-log.
From: Juanjo
On Dec 29, 3:43 pm, YANSWBVCG <········@mindspring.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the suggestion. I tried downloadingeclversion j, but the
> download was way too slow, so then I downloaded version i, which was
> quick. I did a configure and build, but make bombed out with an
> unterminated ifndef error. You can see the make log
> athttp://dfeustel.home.mindspring.com/ecls-make-log.]

It is not fair to try 0.9i which was only tested against OpenBSD < 4.0

I have built ECL on an OpenBSD 4.2 using qemu to simulate a 32 bit
processor. The 64 bit version should work similarly, provided you use
OpenBSD's ports of the Boehm-Weiser garbage collector and of GMP. This
is described in the manual http://ecls.sourceforge.net/new-manual/pr01s06.html#preface.bsd

BTW, the reason why 0.9j is a slow download is because it has been
released a few hours ago.

Juanjo
From: YANSWBVCG
Juanjo <·····················@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Dec 29, 3:43 pm, YANSWBVCG <········@mindspring.com> wrote:
>> Thanks for the suggestion. I tried downloadingeclversion j, but the
>> download was way too slow, so then I downloaded version i, which was
>> quick. I did a configure and build, but make bombed out with an
>> unterminated ifndef error. You can see the make log
>> athttp://dfeustel.home.mindspring.com/ecls-make-log.]
>
> It is not fair to try 0.9i which was only tested against OpenBSD < 4.0
>
> I have built ECL on an OpenBSD 4.2 using qemu to simulate a 32 bit
> processor. The 64 bit version should work similarly, provided you use
> OpenBSD's ports of the Boehm-Weiser garbage collector and of GMP. This
> is described in the manual http://ecls.sourceforge.net/new-manual/pr01s06.html#preface.bsd
>
> BTW, the reason why 0.9j is a slow download is because it has been
> released a few hours ago.
>
> Juanjo

Thanks Very Much for the info. I will try again with 0.9j.