From: ···············@gmail.com
Subject: ANN: ABLE 0.10
ABLE is a Common Lisp editor for Windows and Linux featuring code
evaluation, syntax highlighting, symbol completion, automatic
indentation, parenthesis matching and call-tips. It's distributed
under the GPL as either source or pre-compiled versions for Linux and
Windows.

ABLE 0.10 can be downloaded from http://phil.nullable.eu/

Over the last few releases, the aim has been to simplify the GUI and
allow the user to keep their hands on the keyboard more. 0.10 adds
keyboard based buffer switching and re-definable keys.

There's a small but growing user base, some of whom use it to get
started with Common Lisp before moving on to something more powerful
like SLIME or the LispWorks or Allegro IDEs while others have stuck
with ABLE specifically because it's easy to use.

Finally, on a personal note, I'm over a year into my Lisp journey and
would like to thank the c.l.l crowd for their informative and often
amusing posts. Lisp is certainly the most fun I've had in many years
of programming!

--
Phil
http://phil.nullable.eu/

From: lin8080
Subject: Re: ANN: ABLE 0.10
···············@gmail.com schrieb:

> ABLE is a Common Lisp editor for Windows and Linux featuring code
> evaluation, syntax highlighting, symbol completion, automatic
> indentation, parenthesis matching and call-tips. It's distributed
> under the GPL as either source or pre-compiled versions for Linux and
> Windows.

TEST on win98SE, penti 500MHz, 256MB ram, NetPC for win and lin* per
hd-change.
Yes great. Download, extract, run ABLE.EXE. Oh.

It opens with the short-key overview. This is an important screen. But
when I opened a lisp-file (Cont-o) the short-key screen disappears and
let me sit in the rain. (save as new file is contrl + S not s, for
example and there is no .lisp saved). So I start ABLE.EXE a second time
to get the short-key overview back.
Yes it runs. (two ABLE.EXE on one screen)

Pressing F5, F4 key opens a second window (splitt the old in two parts)
there is no scrollbar on the right, but the wheelmouse will work nice.
How to close this second window? Selecting an other code-part and
pressing F5 (F4) again - nothing seemed to happen. Starting cl-dosbox
and pressing F5, F4, nothing happened. Exit all and try again: same
position. I can type in the 2.window some (lisp) and it evals.

Can you make icons in a menu bar for all that short-keys? That is what a
window expert expects.
There is control-i = goto line-number, and there are no line numbers
visible. Can you add line numbers to the main-window (code-window)?
Undo and redo works fine. You need an icon for the window-desktop. Not
found code-highlighting.

Hmmm. WISH.EXE brings up the tk windows version 8.5b.

Well, when you read this, able.zip and exe's are not living on my
2GB-hd. But: Thank you.

....far is the way to the horizon.... (sing)

Click on able.exe a dos box opened and a few lines run trough, the last
24 lines are:

WARNING: (DEFCONSTANT +KEY-PASTE+ "<Control-v>") redefines the constant
          +KEY-PASTE+
         . Its old value was "<Control-v>".
WARNING: (DEFCONSTANT +KEY-SELECT-ALL+ "<Control-a>") redefines the
constant
          +KEY-SELECT-ALL+
         . Its old value was "<Control-a>".
WARNING: (DEFCONSTANT +KEY-GOTO-LINE+ "<Control-i>") redefines the
constant
          +KEY-GOTO-LINE+
         . Its old value was "<Control-i>".
WARNING: (DEFCONSTANT +KEY-REFORMAT+ "<F3>") redefines the constant
          +KEY-REFORMAT+
         . Its old value was "<F3>".
WARNING: (DEFCONSTANT +KEY-COPT-TO-REPL+ "<F4>") redefines the constant
          +KEY-COPT-TO-REPL+
         . Its old value was "<F4>".
WARNING: (DEFCONSTANT +KEY-EVALUATE-FORM+ "<F5>") redefines the constant
          +KEY-EVALUATE-FORM+
         . Its old value was "<F5>".
WARNING: (DEFCONSTANT +KEY-CODE-COMPLETE+ "<Tab>") redefines the
constant
          +KEY-CODE-COMPLETE+
         . Its old value was "<Tab>".
WARNING: (DEFCONSTANT +KEY-QUIT-ABLE+ "<Control-q>") redefines the
constant
          +KEY-QUIT-ABLE+
         . Its old value was "<Control-q>".
;;  Loaded file C:\able-0.10\config.lisp

click on start.exe and on the x up-right to close brings an error box:
Error: error writing "stdout":broken pipe

details say:
error writing "stdout": broken pipe
error writing "stdout": broken pipe
    while executing
"puts "(:callback \"$s\")""
    (procedure "callback" line 1)
    invoked from within
"callback w23"
    (command for "WM_DELETE_WINDOW" window manager protocol)

control-q did not work, I need to reboot. Oh dear.
From: ···············@gmail.com
On 19 Dec, 21:38, lin8080 <·······@freenet.de> wrote:

Thanks for you comments and sorry you're having problems. I think
there are a number of reasons for what's happening and one main one.

> TEST on win98SE, penti 500MHz, 256MB ram, NetPC for win and lin* per
> hd-change.

Sorry but Microsoft stopped supporting this OS 18 months ago. I'm
amazed that it ran at all as there are pre-compiled native binaries in
the download. I have several users running XP and even Vista who are
not having these problems.

> It opens with the short-key overview. This is an important screen. But
> when I opened a lisp-file (Cont-o) the short-key screen disappears and
> let me sit in the rain.

You will need to read the manual a little. It's not too long but it
covers everything you need to know.

> (save as new file is contrl + S not s

Well that's what the screen says so yes? And you can re-configure it
now if you want to. Not sure what the problem is here?

> example and there is no .lisp saved).

Yes this is a bug in the Tk save dialog on Windows. I will probably
replace these remaining pop-ups in the future.

> Pressing F5, F4 key opens a second window (splitt the old in two parts)
> there is no scrollbar on the right, but the wheelmouse will work nice.

It's an interface to the REPL with read-line like command history.
It's really quite usable.

> How to close this second window?

By the default bindings, Control-m toggles the REPL open and close.
Again, it's all in the manual.

> Selecting an other code-part and
> pressing F5 (F4) again - nothing seemed to happen. Starting cl-dosbox
> and pressing F5, F4, nothing happened. Exit all and try again: same
> position. I can type in the 2.window some (lisp) and it evals.

Not following again. Does it work or not? Works fine here on XP and
Ubuntu...

> Can you make icons in a menu bar for all that short-keys? That is what a
> window expert expects.

No. It's heading the other way, less graphical and more usable. The
menubar departed in 0.9 and the iconbar never made it to a release. It
sounds like you might like CUSP better. It's very cool indeed and as
it's based on Eclipse, it's more "graphical".

> There is control-i = goto line-number, and there are no line numbers
> visible. Can you add line numbers to the main-window (code-window)?

It could be nice and I've thought about it before but it's pretty
tricky as Tk only has a fairly basic text control. Maybe with a change
of toolkits one day...

> Not found code-highlighting.

Really? I can only assume this is a Win98 problem, possibly not
detecting the character encoding or something? I would expect this to
affect almost all editing features though.

> Hmmm. WISH.EXE brings up the tk windows version 8.5b.

That's right!

> Well, when you read this, able.zip and exe's are not living on my
> 2GB-hd. But: Thank you.

You're very welcome.

> Click on able.exe a dos box opened and a few lines run trough, the last
> 24 lines are:

Again, read the manual for why you should double click start.exe to
avoid the console window. It's to do with CLISP generated executables.

> click on start.exe and on the x up-right to close brings an error box:

I suspect you closed the console window that should never have been
opened in the first place...

> control-q did not work, I need to reboot. Oh dear.

I seem to remember no task manager on Win 98 so I guess so.

Basically using Win98 and not skimming the manual is the cause of a
lot of these problems I think.

Phil
From: lin8080
···············@gmail.com schrieb:
> On 19 Dec, 21:38, lin8080 <·······@freenet.de> wrote:

First a big aha take place. :)

Yes I read the manual. There are some other programs mentioned but I do
not download them. Possible that caused some problemes. (4mb zip is much
for a editor).

> > (save as new file is contrl + S not s
> Well that's what the screen says so yes? And you can re-configure it
> now if you want to. Not sure what the problem is here?

Usually and thats what I do for years now, control-c for copy, control-v
for insert. No capital letters, means wether I use C or c works the same
way on my w98. So I don't expect their is a difference in your able.exe
between control-s = save and control-S = save as new file. (but
control-s should work anyway, if new offer menu, if exist overwrite old)

> > How to close this second window?
> By the default bindings, Control-m toggles the REPL open and close.

Not tested.

> Again, it's all in the manual.

...and on the first screen.

> > Selecting an other code-part and
> > pressing F5 (F4) again - nothing seemed to happen. Starting cl-dosbox
> > and pressing F5, F4, nothing happened. Exit all and try again: same
> > position. I can type in the 2.window some (lisp) and it evals.
> Not following again. Does it work or not? Works fine here on XP and
> Ubuntu...

I got the 2. window with output when I did it the first time (with the
first (defun...), but nothing happened when I did it the second time
with a different (defun...) that was also in the 1.window.

> > Can you make icons in a menu bar for all that short-keys? That is what a
> > window expert expects.
> No. It's heading the other way, less graphical and more usable. The
> menubar departed in 0.9 and the iconbar never made it to a release. It
> sounds like you might like CUSP better. It's very cool indeed and as
> it's based on Eclipse, it's more "graphical".

Thats a bit a problem. Let me say what I have seen. Once I learned some
emacs and it was great, in special the working speed. Then I let all
rest for nearly a year, using an other editor (notespad.exe, 1,4MB).
When I come back to emacs (they had a new version) I forget nearly all
short-keys, but guessing around and trusting in an intuitive
environment, I produce one mismatch after the other, finding myself
constantly switching between readme-short-key-index and emacs. It shows
me clearly, I can work easier with an iconbar. And thats what I do for
over 5 years now. Do you mean I ever touch some short-keys other than
copy/paste? (maybe control-n = new in the browser)

> > Not found code-highlighting.
> Really? I can only assume this is a Win98 problem, possibly not
> detecting the character encoding or something? I would expect this to
> affect almost all editing features though.

No, not found. Yes maybe this is a w98 problem. The parenthesis matching
shows the first "(" with dark-orange background, nothing else.

> > click on start.exe and on the x up-right to close brings an error box:
> I suspect you closed the console window that should never have been
> opened in the first place...

The first window that opened when double-click on start.exe has that x
in the upper right corner.

> I seem to remember no task manager on Win 98 so I guess so.

Maybe, strg (=control) + alt + del usually brings up the task manager in
w98. That did not worked.

> Basically using Win98 and not skimming the manual is the cause of a
> lot of these problems I think.

Correct. But did you read all readme's carefully? I did only when a
problem occurs and in most cases the readme/docs/manuals are more
complex than a quick searching overviewer expects. So consulting
readme's needs alone 5+ minutes until I find what helps. Its a problem,
yes.

Well have fun and keep your program small :)
From: ···············@gmail.com
On Dec 20, 10:11 pm, lin8080 <·······@freenet.de> wrote:

> (4mb zip is much for a editor).

Actually it's 4Mb for an editor, a Common Lisp compiler, relevant
libraries and a complete Tcl/Tk installation all set up and ready to
run which is pretty small really.

> So consulting readme's needs alone 5+ minutes until I find what
> helps. Its a problem, yes.

OK, I really don't recommend SLIME then :-)

--
Phil
http://phil.nullable.eu/