From: ······@gmail.com
Subject: If you are using Lisp?Pls give me some details about the Lisp's 	applications. thanks!
I am very interested in Lisp. Now, I am studying Common Lisp.And I am
using the  Allegro CL 7.0 IDE to write some  lisp codes. If you are
using Lisp, and if you have some study experience about Lisp or CLOS.
Can you share some information about Lisp.Maybe lots of rookies,just
like me,also want to get some details about Lisp applications.
For example,The questionnaire:
What are you applying in Lisp?
Which website about Lisp do you always browse?
Which book about Lisp have you read?
Why Lisp?
Why do you like Lisp,or why not?

Maybe you can just answer some of the problems. Thanks again^_^
I am a enthusiast of Lisp from China.  If you want to reply in
Chinese,no pro.
ayst.yuwen
2007-12-08

From: Ken Tilton
······@gmail.com wrote:
> I am very interested in Lisp. Now, I am studying Common Lisp.And I am
> using the  Allegro CL 7.0 IDE to write some  lisp codes. If you are
> using Lisp, and if you have some study experience about Lisp or CLOS.
> Can you share some information about Lisp.Maybe lots of rookies,just
> like me,also want to get some details about Lisp applications.
> For example,The questionnaire:
> What are you applying in Lisp?
> Which website about Lisp do you always browse?
> Which book about Lisp have you read?
> Why Lisp?
> Why do you like Lisp,or why not?

What part of <sigh> I was going to refer you to
http://wiki.alu.org/The_Road_to_Lisp_Survey but it remains a moribund
URL, I must suppose because the wikiware behind it is yobboware. Is
there some reason the Lisp community cannot do something about that,
including using a C or Python wikiware because in the end if we just do
not have the chops do to a wiki should we really be advertising our
incomptence on our own frickin billboard? Ok, I confess, the
self-suicidal quality of that does have a certain charm given Lisp's
history, which I can summarize as an incredible brilliance from clearly
interplanetary alien John McCarthy being resoundingly unlived up to by
the amphibians who have inherited it. </sigh>

> Maybe you can just answer some of the problems. Thanks again^_^
> I am a enthusiast of Lisp from China.  If you want to reply in
> Chinese,no pro.

Xie xie. k

--
http://www.theoryyalgebra.com/

"In the morning, hear the Way;
  in the evening, die content!"
                     -- Confucius
From: gavino
On Dec 7, 11:19 pm, Ken Tilton <···········@optonline.net> wrote:
> ······@gmail.com wrote:
> > I am very interested in Lisp. Now, I am studying Common Lisp.And I am
> > using the  Allegro CL 7.0 IDE to write some  lisp codes. If you are
> > using Lisp, and if you have some study experience about Lisp or CLOS.
> > Can you share some information about Lisp.Maybe lots of rookies,just
> > like me,also want to get some details about Lisp applications.
> > For example,The questionnaire:
> > What are you applying in Lisp?
> > Which website about Lisp do you always browse?
> > Which book about Lisp have you read?
> > Why Lisp?
> > Why do you like Lisp,or why not?
>
> What part of <sigh> I was going to refer you tohttp://wiki.alu.org/The_Road_to_Lisp_Surveybut it remains a moribund
> URL, I must suppose because the wikiware behind it is yobboware. Is
> there some reason the Lisp community cannot do something about that,
> including using a C or Python wikiware because in the end if we just do
> not have the chops do to a wiki should we really be advertising our
> incomptence on our own frickin billboard? Ok, I confess, the
> self-suicidal quality of that does have a certain charm given Lisp's
> history, which I can summarize as an incredible brilliance from clearly
> interplanetary alien John McCarthy being resoundingly unlived up to by
> the amphibians who have inherited it. </sigh>
>

> > Maybe you can just answer some of the problems. Thanks again^_^
> > I am a enthusiast of Lisp from China.  If you want to reply in
> > Chinese,no pro.
>
> Xie xie. k
>
> --http://www.theoryyalgebra.com/
>
> "In the morning, hear the Way;
>   in the evening, die content!"
>                      -- Confucius

dude are you drinkin?
From: Rob Warnock
Ken Tilton  <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
+---------------
| <sigh> I was going to refer you to
| http://wiki.alu.org/The_Road_to_Lisp_Survey but it remains a moribund
| URL, I must suppose because the wikiware behind it is yobboware.
+---------------

Well, for what it's worth, that URL certainly seems to be working
at the moment. No, wait a minute, it took two tries to get
<http://wiki.alu.org/Kenny's_RtLS_Top-Ten> to come up.
And now <http://wiki.alu.org/The_RtLS_by_Road> isn't responding
at all... And now the whole thing is hosed again. (*sigh*)

Oops! Wait, now it's back!  (*sigh^2*)

+---------------
| Is there some reason the Lisp community cannot do something about that,
| including using a C or Python wikiware because in the end if we just do
| not have the chops do to a wiki should we really be advertising our
| incomptence on our own frickin billboard?
+---------------

Yes, well. I have been having words with the maintainer about that
recently, since *my* Lisp-based web "yobboware" doesn't have anything
*like* the same amount of downtime. [The only time my web apps go down
is when the colo sysadmins bounce the system out from underneath them.]
But then again, I'm not running the ALU wiki on it, either, so who knows
if it would start falling over too if put under the same load.

+---------------
| Ok, I confess, the self-suicidal quality of that does have a
| certain charm given Lisp's history, which I can summarize as
| an incredible brilliance from clearly interplanetary alien
| John McCarthy being resoundingly unlived up to by the amphibians
| who have inherited it. </sigh>
+---------------

Yes, well, given McCarthy's ILC'05 talk, the term "disinherited"
may also apply...  ;-}  ;-}

-Rob

-----
Rob Warnock			<····@rpw3.org>
627 26th Avenue			<URL:http://rpw3.org/>
San Mateo, CA 94403		(650)572-2607
From: Matthew D. Swank
On Sat, 08 Dec 2007 02:19:26 -0500, Ken Tilton wrote:

> Ok, I confess, the
> self-suicidal quality of that does have a certain charm given Lisp's
> history, which I can summarize as an incredible brilliance from clearly
> interplanetary alien John McCarthy being resoundingly unlived up to by
> the amphibians who have inherited it.

Oh come now, there's a long and storied history of LISP users subverting
and ignoring McCarthy's designs for the language, going back to favouring
sexps over mexps, that have been to LISP's benefit.

Those scheme guys may like designing perfection from first principles, but
one of the things I like about Common Lisp is the rough and tumble
exploitation of hard-nosed engineering and serendipity.  You can't do that
with a single genius in charge.

Matt
--
"You do not really understand something unless you
 can explain it to your grandmother." -- Albert Einstein.
From: Ken Tilton
Matthew D. Swank wrote:
> On Sat, 08 Dec 2007 02:19:26 -0500, Ken Tilton wrote:
>

>>Ok, I confess, the
>>self-suicidal quality of that does have a certain charm given Lisp's
>>history, which I can summarize as an incredible brilliance from clearly
>>interplanetary alien John McCarthy being resoundingly unlived up to by
>>the amphibians who have inherited it.
>

> Oh come now, there's a long and storied history of LISP users subverting
> and ignoring McCarthy's designs for the language, going back to favouring
> sexps over mexps, that have been to LISP's benefit.
>
> Those scheme guys may like designing perfection from first principles, but
> one of the things I like about Common Lisp is the rough and tumble
> exploitation of hard-nosed engineering and serendipity.  You can't do that
> with a single genius in charge.

Yeah, yeah, it was just a rant, you never want those held back by
concerns over accuracy. The sexp/mexp thing esp. suggests divine
inspiration might be a better model than alien arrival.

kt

From: Slobodan Blazeski
On Dec 8, 7:58 am, ······@gmail.com wrote:
> I am very interested in Lisp. Now, I am studying Common Lisp.And I am
> using the  Allegro CL 7.0 IDE to write some  lisp codes. If you are
> using Lisp, and if you have some study experience about Lisp or CLOS.
> Can you share some information about Lisp.Maybe lots of rookies,just
> like me,also want to get some details about Lisp applications.

Sure , welcome aboard.
> For example,The questionnaire:
> What are you applying in Lisp?

Currently web development, I'm working on a web app aimed at small
businesses who didn't give a dan about e-commerce but are internet
aware. I'm using weblocks http://common-lisp.net/project/cl-weblocks/
very interesthing framework, though still little edgy
> Which website about Lisp do you always browse?
This group. But there are lot of interesting sites, depends of the
area of your pursuit.
> Which book about Lisp have you read?
Many, but sometimes I skip chapters that I found boring  :)
Gentle Introduction of symbolic computation
Practical Common Lisp
Ansi Common Lisp
On Lisp
CL Interactive approach
Loving Lisp
Successful  Lisp
and some chapters of
Object Oriented Programming in Common lisp
Lisp 2nd edition
Common Lisp the language 2
I plan to read
Art of the meta object protocol some day.

Many of this books are downloadable for free, though supporting lisp
authors is highly desirable .
Read my road to lisp http://wiki.alu.org/Slobodan

> Maybe you can just answer some of the problems. Thanks again^_^
> I am a enthusiast of Lisp from China.  If you want to reply in
> Chinese,no pro.
I would like to answer in Chinese but I don't speak it.

cheers
Slobodan
http://tourdelisp.blogspot.com/
From: Klaus Schilling
······@gmail.com writes:
> What are you applying in Lisp?

a turn-based role-playing game

> Which website about Lisp do you always browse?

Cliki, ALU, Common-Lisp net, the hpages of ECL and CLisp

> Which book about Lisp have you read?

Graham's OnLisp and ANSI Common Lisp

> Why Lisp?

because of the syntax

Klaus Schilling
From: Javier
On 8 dic, 07:58, ······@gmail.com wrote:
> I am very interested in Lisp. Now, I am studying Common Lisp.And I am
> using the  Allegro CL 7.0 IDE to write some  lisp codes. If you are
> using Lisp, and if you have some study experience about Lisp or CLOS.
> Can you share some information about Lisp.Maybe lots of rookies,just
> like me,also want to get some details about Lisp applications.
> For example,The questionnaire:
> What are you applying in Lisp?
> Which website about Lisp do you always browse?
> Which book about Lisp have you read?
> Why Lisp?
> Why do you like Lisp,or why not?

Lisp is used both for big applications, or just for playing around.
There is no middle point. There is almost no user applications, almost
no web applications, etc.

The reason is because Lisp imposes some concepts that, even being
incredibly powerful, are very much sophisticated for 90% of
programmers around the world.
Just take a look at C++: the reason for Java and C# for being so much
successful are because C++ is too much complicated. The reason because
Lisp has not been so much successful is because Python, Perl and Ruby
are much easier and can do the same.
Lisp will never die. But only a tiny portion of the programmers will
ever use it.
From: David Young
Sigh. Sigh...

-- david
From: Daniel Weinreb
······@gmail.com wrote:
> I am very interested in Lisp. Now, I am studying Common Lisp.And I am
> using the  Allegro CL 7.0 IDE to write some  lisp codes. If you are
> using Lisp, and if you have some study experience about Lisp or CLOS.
> Can you share some information about Lisp.Maybe lots of rookies,just
> like me,also want to get some details about Lisp applications.
> For example,The questionnaire:
> What are you applying in Lisp?
> Which website about Lisp do you always browse?
> Which book about Lisp have you read?
> Why Lisp?
> Why do you like Lisp,or why not?
>
> Maybe you can just answer some of the problems. Thanks again^_^
> I am a enthusiast of Lisp from China.  If you want to reply in
> Chinese,no pro.
> ayst.yuwen
> 2007-12-08

You'll find some answers in the sections at the end of

http://common-lisp.net/~dlw/LispSurvey.html
From: Zach Beane
Daniel Weinreb <···@alum.mit.edu> writes:

> You'll find some answers in the sections at the end of
>
> http://common-lisp.net/~dlw/LispSurvey.html

This is a great resource, thanks for compiling it.

Zach
From: lin8080
······@gmail.com schrieb:

Ni hao

> What are you applying in Lisp?
Nearly all I program on a computer. (none commercial)

> Which book about Lisp have you read?
... don't forget the dokus that came with the implementation.

> Why Lisp?
It is direct. You get what you typed in by pressing enter.

> Why do you like Lisp,or why not?
It is mighty in some ways, there are no standarts in doing things, it is
not a MB monster, it runs 30 year old progs...
:( It is hard to move a smily over the screen.
From: Kneo Fang
······@gmail.com wrote:
> I am very interested in Lisp. Now, I am studying Common Lisp.And I am
> using the  Allegro CL 7.0 IDE to write some  lisp codes. If you are
我用Emacs + Slime + SBCL,应该算是标准配置吧,十分方便。
> using Lisp, and if you have some study experience about Lisp or CLOS.
> Can you share some information about Lisp.Maybe lots of rookies,just
> like me,also want to get some details about Lisp applications.
> For example,The questionnaire:
> What are you applying in Lisp?
> Which website about Lisp do you always browse?
> Which book about Lisp have you read?
限于阅读能力和时间,还在读Practical Common Lisp。
> Why Lisp?
据说可以快速的解决问题。
> Why do you like Lisp,or why not?
十分有趣。

> Maybe you can just answer some of the problems. Thanks again^_^
> I am a enthusiast of Lisp from China.  If you want to reply in
> Chinese,no pro.
Hope you can understand my replay. It's encoded in UTF-8.

Best wishes,
Kneo Fang
From: Jason
On Dec 8, 9:32 am, Kneo Fang <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
> ······@gmail.com wrote:
> > I am very interested in Lisp. Now, I am studying Common Lisp.And I am
> > using the  Allegro CL 7.0 IDE to write some  lisp codes. If you are
>
> ÎÒÓÃEmacs + Slime + SBCL£¬Ó¦¸ÃËãÊDZê×¼ÅäÖðɣ¬Ê®·Ö·½±ã¡£

translation: I use Emacs + Slime + SBCL, is the accurate disposition,
is extremely convenient.

> using Lisp, and if you have some study experience about Lisp or CLOS.
> > Can you share some information about Lisp.Maybe lots of rookies,just
> > like me,also want to get some details about Lisp applications.
> > For example,The questionnaire:
> > What are you applying in Lisp?
> > Which website about Lisp do you always browse?
> > Which book about Lisp have you read?
>
> ÏÞÓÚÔĶÁÄÜÁ¦ºÍʱ¼ä£¬»¹ÔÚ¶ÁPractical Common Lisp¡£

translation: Is restricted in the ability and , in Practical Common
Lisp.

> Why Lisp?
>
> ¾Ý˵¿ÉÒÔ¿ìËٵĽâ¾öÎÊÌâ¡£

translation: According to may fast Xie?? .

Ok, that one didn't quite translate...

> Why do you like Lisp,or why not?
> Ê®·ÖÓÐȤ¡£

Translation: Extremely interesting.

> > Maybe you can just answer some of the problems. Thanks again^_^
> > I am a enthusiast of Lisp from China.  If you want to reply in
> > Chinese,no pro.
>
> Hope you can understand my replay. It's encoded in UTF-8.
>
> Best wishes,
> Kneo Fang

You gotta love Bablefish!

-Jason
From: Gang Chen
On Dec 9, 4:33 am, Jason <·······@gmail.com> wrote:
> > ÎÒÓÃEmacs + Slime + SBCL£¬Ó¦¸ÃËãÊDZê×¼ÅäÖðɣ¬Ê®·Ö·½±ã¡£
>
> translation: I use Emacs + Slime + SBCL, is the accurate disposition,
> is extremely convenient.

I use Emacs + SLIME + SBCL, may be a standard bundle of apps for
developing in LISP. It's convenient.

> > ÏÞÓÚÔĶÁÄÜÁ¦ºÍʱ¼ä£¬»¹ÔÚ¶ÁPractical Common Lisp¡£
>
> translation: Is restricted in the ability and , in Practical Common
> Lisp.

Due to my English reading ability and time, still read Practical
Common Lisp.

> > ¾Ý˵¿ÉÒÔ¿ìËٵĽâ¾öÎÊÌâ¡£
>
> translation: According to may fast Xie?? .

It may quickly solve problems.

:)
From: Jason
On Dec 9, 12:49 am, Gang Chen <··········@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Dec 9, 4:33 am, Jason <·······@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > ÎÒÓÃEmacs + Slime + SBCL£¬Ó¦¸ÃËãÊDZê×¼ÅäÖðɣ¬Ê®·Ö·½±ã¡£
>
> > translation: I use Emacs + Slime + SBCL, is the accurate disposition,
> > is extremely convenient.
>
> I use Emacs + SLIME + SBCL, may be a standard bundle of apps for
> developing in LISP. It's convenient.
>
> > > ÏÞÓÚÔĶÁÄÜÁ¦ºÍʱ¼ä£¬»¹ÔÚ¶ÁPractical Common Lisp¡£
>
> > translation: Is restricted in the ability and , in Practical Common
> > Lisp.
>
> Due to my English reading ability and time, still read Practical
> Common Lisp.
>
> > > ¾Ý˵¿ÉÒÔ¿ìËٵĽâ¾öÎÊÌâ¡£
>
> > translation: According to may fast Xie?? .
>
> It may quickly solve problems.
>
> :)

Well, Babelfish only goes so far... Thanks for the clarification!
From: maximinus
On Dec 8, 6:58 am, ······@gmail.com wrote:
> I am very interested in Lisp. Now, I am studying Common Lisp.And I am
> using the  Allegro CL 7.0 IDE to write some  lisp codes. If you are
> using Lisp, and if you have some study experience about Lisp or CLOS.
> Can you share some information about Lisp.Maybe lots of rookies,just
> like me,also want to get some details about Lisp applications.
> For example,The questionnaire:
> What are you applying in Lisp?
> Which website about Lisp do you always browse?
> Which book about Lisp have you read?
> Why Lisp?
> Why do you like Lisp,or why not?
>
> Maybe you can just answer some of the problems. Thanks again^_^
> I am a enthusiast of Lisp from China.  If you want to reply in
> Chinese,no pro.
> ayst.yuwen
> 2007-12-08

Been using GNU CLISP + EMACS for the last few months and starting to
love it. I work with using evolution to 'grow' computer programs and
what turned my head was re-writing a 5000+ lines C code monster into a
200 line LISP program.

What I like most about LISP is what most of my (non-LISPY coder)
friends hate: the syntax. Well, that and macros, of course ;-)

It's good to see there are LISP'ers in China: Wo ming nian qu Zhong
guo! Wode zhong wen bu hao - wo ting de bu hao. Danshi mai tian wo
xue.

Any chance of a Lisp user group in Xi'an? Probably not :(
From: Kneo Fang
maximinus wrote:
> On Dec 8, 6:58 am, ······@gmail.com wrote:
>> I am very interested in Lisp. Now, I am studying Common Lisp.And I am
>> using the  Allegro CL 7.0 IDE to write some  lisp codes. If you are
>> using Lisp, and if you have some study experience about Lisp or CLOS.
>> Can you share some information about Lisp.Maybe lots of rookies,just
>> like me,also want to get some details about Lisp applications.
>> For example,The questionnaire:
>> What are you applying in Lisp?
>> Which website about Lisp do you always browse?
>> Which book about Lisp have you read?
>> Why Lisp?
>> Why do you like Lisp,or why not?
>>
>> Maybe you can just answer some of the problems. Thanks again^_^
>> I am a enthusiast of Lisp from China.  If you want to reply in
>> Chinese,no pro.
>> ayst.yuwen
>> 2007-12-08
>
> Been using GNU CLISP + EMACS for the last few months and starting to
> love it. I work with using evolution to 'grow' computer programs and
> what turned my head was re-writing a 5000+ lines C code monster into a
> 200 line LISP program.
 From 5000+ lines to 200 lines? Amazing ...

> What I like most about LISP is what most of my (non-LISPY coder)
> friends hate: the syntax. Well, that and macros, of course ;-)
>
> It's good to see there are LISP'ers in China: Wo ming nian qu Zhong
Welcome!
> guo! Wode zhong wen bu hao - wo ting de bu hao. Danshi mai tian wo
I think "mai tian" should be "mei tian". You mean "everyday", right?
> xue.
>
> Any chance of a Lisp user group in Xi'an? Probably not :(
There are some lispers in China, but the only lisp user *group* may be
the emacs user group ...

Best wishes,
Kneo Fang
From: maximinus
On Dec 10, 4:26 pm, Kneo Fang <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
> maximinus wrote:
> > On Dec 8, 6:58 am, ······@gmail.com wrote:
> >> I am very interested in Lisp. Now, I am studying Common Lisp.And I am
> >> using the  Allegro CL 7.0 IDE to write some  lisp codes. If you are
> >> using Lisp, and if you have some study experience about Lisp or CLOS.
> >> Can you share some information about Lisp.Maybe lots of rookies,just
> >> like me,also want to get some details about Lisp applications.
> >> For example,The questionnaire:
> >> What are you applying in Lisp?
> >> Which website about Lisp do you always browse?
> >> Which book about Lisp have you read?
> >> Why Lisp?
> >> Why do you like Lisp,or why not?
>
> >> Maybe you can just answer some of the problems. Thanks again^_^
> >> I am a enthusiast of Lisp from China.  If you want to reply in
> >> Chinese,no pro.
> >> ayst.yuwen
> >> 2007-12-08
>
> > Been using GNU CLISP + EMACS for the last few months and starting to
> > love it. I work with using evolution to 'grow' computer programs and
> > what turned my head was re-writing a 5000+ lines C code monster into a
> > 200 line LISP program.
>
>  From 5000+ lines to 200 lines? Amazing ...

Yeh, and I programmed both, so you can imagine how suprised I was!

> > What I like most about LISP is what most of my (non-LISPY coder)
> > friends hate: the syntax. Well, that and macros, of course ;-)
>
> > It's good to see there are LISP'ers in China: Wo ming nian qu Zhong
> Welcome!
> > guo! Wode zhong wen bu hao - wo ting de bu hao. Danshi mai tian wo
>
> I think "mai tian" should be "mei tian". You mean "everyday", right?> xue.

I did say my Chinese was pretty bad :)

From: Justin
On Dec 8, 12:58 am, ······@gmail.com wrote:
> I am very interested in Lisp. Now, I am studying Common Lisp.And I am
> using the  Allegro CL 7.0 IDE to write some  lisp codes. If you are
> using Lisp, and if you have some study experience about Lisp or CLOS.
> Can you share some information about Lisp.Maybe lots of rookies,just
> like me,also want to get some details about Lisp applications.
> For example,The questionnaire:
> What are you applying in Lisp?
> Which website about Lisp do you always browse?
> Which book about Lisp have you read?
> Why Lisp?
> Why do you like Lisp,or why not?
>
> Maybe you can just answer some of the problems. Thanks again^_^
> I am a enthusiast of Lisp from China.  If you want to reply in
> Chinese,no pro.
> ayst.yuwen
> 2007-12-08

Here's the lisp apps on sourceforge sorted by latest file release
http://sourceforge.net/softwaremap/trove_list.php?stquery=&sort=latest_file_date&sortdir=desc&offset=0&form_cat=170
and common lisp
http://sourceforge.net/softwaremap/trove_list.php?stquery=&sort=latest_file_date&sortdir=desc&offset=0&form_cat=540

I hope this can give you an idea about what people are programming in
Lisp. Myself, I'm a total newbie too.
From: Pascal BOURGUIGNON

http://cliki.net/
http://www.common-lisp.net/