From: Dimiter "malkia" Stanev
Subject: Re: Does anybody know of decent free CL for Mac running System 7.5.5?
Robert Maas, see http://tinyurl.com/uh3t wrote:
> I finally got around to seriously trying XLISP-PLUS (Version 2.1g)
> which I downloaded long ago, only to find it seriously broken.
> For example:
>
> (defun foo (dopush)
>   (prog ()
>     (setq onestr "123456789.")
>     (setq fourstr (format nil "~A~A~A~A" onestr onestr onestr onestr))
>     (setq eightstr (format nil "~A~A" fourstr fourstr))
>     (setq revres (list))
>     (setq n 0)
>     lp
>     (setq cop (format nil "~A" eightstr))
>     (cond (dopush (push cop revres) (setq n (length revres)))
>           (t (setq n (+ 1 n))))
>     (format t " ~D" n) ;(finish-output)
>     (if (zerop (mod n 10)) (terpri))
>     (go lp)))
>
> (foo T)
>  471 472 473 474 475error: insufficient string space
> ;Then if I try (gc), it unexpectedly quits.
>
> (foo NIL)
> ;Gets a little past 4620 then starts generating trash characters output,
> ; then shortly later it unexpectedly quits.
>
> So does anybody know of a free implementation of Common Lisp that actually
> works correctly on a Macintosh Performa 600 (68030 with no FPU)
> running System 7.5.5 in legacy 24-bit address mode (16 MB VM)?

This might work for you:

http://www.cormanlisp.com/PowerLisp.html

But the 2.01 version which is for 68K Mac (2.02 is PowerPC only)

http://www.cormanlisp.com/PowerLisp/PowerLisp_2_01_sea.hqx

From: Robert Maas, see http://tinyurl.com/uh3t
> From: "Dimiter \"malkia\" Stanev" <······@gmail.com>
> This might work for you:
> http://www.cormanlisp.com/PowerLisp.html
> But the 2.01 version which is for 68K Mac (2.02 is PowerPC only)
> http://www.cormanlisp.com/PowerLisp/PowerLisp_2_01_sea.hqx

HELP!!!
I downloaded 2.01, which took about 1.5 hours using Kermit at 19200 baud,
unbinhexed and unstuffed, browsed documentation, then tried it.
Some simple stuff worked.
Then I tried that program loop that sees how many strings will
fit in memory. Output was weird, showing nothing for a long time,
then suddenly several pages of output at once, then nothing
for a long time. I wanted to abort, but there's no way to abort!!
Finally in desperation I used File menu to Quit the program.
The window disappeared immediately, but 15 minutes later the loop
is still running, eating so many CPU cycles that typing here
is taking multi-seconds to respond to keystrokes. It just won't quit!!!
I'll probably need to try shutting down the whole system and restarting,
or maybe that won't work, and I'll need to do a cold re-start with pushbutton.
From: Rainer Joswig
In article <·················@yahoo.com>,
 ·······@yahoo.com (Robert Maas, see http://tinyurl.com/uh3t) wrote:

> > From: "Dimiter \"malkia\" Stanev" <······@gmail.com>
> > This might work for you:
> > http://www.cormanlisp.com/PowerLisp.html
> > But the 2.01 version which is for 68K Mac (2.02 is PowerPC only)
> > http://www.cormanlisp.com/PowerLisp/PowerLisp_2_01_sea.hqx
>
> HELP!!!
> I downloaded 2.01, which took about 1.5 hours using Kermit at 19200 baud,
> unbinhexed and unstuffed, browsed documentation, then tried it.
> Some simple stuff worked.
> Then I tried that program loop that sees how many strings will
> fit in memory. Output was weird, showing nothing for a long time,
> then suddenly several pages of output at once, then nothing
> for a long time. I wanted to abort, but there's no way to abort!!
> Finally in desperation I used File menu to Quit the program.
> The window disappeared immediately, but 15 minutes later the loop
> is still running, eating so many CPU cycles that typing here
> is taking multi-seconds to respond to keystrokes. It just won't quit!!!
> I'll probably need to try shutting down the whole system and restarting,
> or maybe that won't work, and I'll need to do a cold re-start with pushbutton.

Why not get a newer computer with a newer and currently
supported operating system?

There are no 'decent' free implementations of Common Lisp
for ancient Macs running System 7.5.5.

The best you could do is to get an old copy of Macintosh Common Lisp.
It is not 'free', but you could get an used old copy for
very little money.
From: Robert Maas, see http://tinyurl.com/uh3t
> From: Rainer Joswig <······@lisp.de>
> Why not get a newer computer with a newer and currently
> supported operating system?

Because I have no money to pay for it, because there haven't been
any Lisp programming jobs available since a couple years after I
got laid off in 1991 (there was *one* job for AutoCAD in 1991-1993
time frame, I can look it up if you are curious, but I don't have
time right now), and I don't qualify for any of the current
non-Lisp jobs. I have more than fifteen years Lisp programming
experience, so maybe you will hire me to do some work for you.
Otherwise shut the fuck about what I should buy with money I don't
have and can't get.

> There are no 'decent' free implementations of Common Lisp
> for ancient Macs running System 7.5.5.

That's too bad, a real shame.

> The best you could do is to get an old copy of Macintosh Common Lisp.

I already had a fine copy of Macintosh Allegro Common Lisp, version
1.2.2, which worked just fine under System.6.0.3, but on 7.5.5 at
start-up it hangs the CPU requiring cold restart, totally useless.
From: Rainer Joswig
In article <·················@yahoo.com>,
 ·······@yahoo.com (Robert Maas, see http://tinyurl.com/uh3t) wrote:

> > From: Rainer Joswig <······@lisp.de>
> > Why not get a newer computer with a newer and currently
> > supported operating system?
>
> Because I have no money to pay for it, because there haven't been
> any Lisp programming jobs available since a couple years after I
> got laid off in 1991 (there was *one* job for AutoCAD in 1991-1993
> time frame, I can look it up if you are curious, but I don't have
> time right now), and I don't qualify for any of the current
> non-Lisp jobs. I have more than fifteen years Lisp programming
> experience, so maybe you will hire me to do some work for you.
> Otherwise shut the fuck about what I should buy with money I don't
> have and can't get.

Ah, same old story? You are posting this for how many years now?

> > There are no 'decent' free implementations of Common Lisp
> > for ancient Macs running System 7.5.5.
>
> That's too bad, a real shame.
>
> > The best you could do is to get an old copy of Macintosh Common Lisp.
>
> I already had a fine copy of Macintosh Allegro Common Lisp, version
> 1.2.2, which worked just fine under System.6.0.3, but on 7.5.5 at
> start-up it hangs the CPU requiring cold restart, totally useless.

Then get Macintosh Common Lisp. What I wrote.