From: JohnW
Subject: New version of Ready Lisp for Mac OS X available
Hello, this is to announce the availability of a new version of Ready
Lisp for Mac OS X.  This version is based on SBCL 1.0.12.17, and
requires OS X Leopard 10.5.  The most notable change from the previous
version is that it is now fully universal, supporting PowerPC and 32-
bit and 64-bit Intel machines.  Also, threading has been turned on for
Intel processor.  See the NEWS below.

What is Ready Lisp?  It's a binding together of several popular Lisp
packages for OS X, including: Aquamacs, SBCL and SLIME.  Once
downloaded, you'll have a single application bundle which you can
double-click -- and find yourself in a fully configured Common Lisp
REPL.  It's ideal for OS X users who want to try out Lisp with a
minimum of hassle.  The download is approximately 80 megabytes:

  ftp://ftp.newartisans.com/pub/lisp/ReadyLisp-1.0.12-10.5.1.dmg

There is a GnuPG signature for this file in the same directory; append
".asc" to the above filename to download it.  To install my public key
onto your keyring, use this command:

  $ gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv 0x824715A0

Once installed, you can verify the download using the following
command:

  $ gpg --verify ReadyLisp-1.0.12-10.5.1.dmg.asc

Happy Lisping,
  John Wiegley <·····@newartisans.com>

* New in version 1.0.12-10.5.1

** Ready Lisp is now fully universal, and runs on the following
platforms:

   - Intel 64-bit
   - Intel 32-bit
   - PowerPC 32-bit

   There is no port of SBCL to 64-bit PowerPC.  Experimental threading
has been enabled
   for both Intel platforms.

** The following pieces were updated:

   - SBCL, to version 1.0.12.17
   - SLIME, to CVS version 2007-12-06

   Aquamacs remains at version 1.2a.

** Info documentation for the Common Lisp pieces is now bundled in.
Just type
   `C-h i' to read it.  Also, when editing Common Lisp files, you can
type
   `C-h f' to instantly access the HyperSpec index.  In Emacs Lisp
files,
   `C-h f' will get you help on Emacs Lisp functions.

   There is also HTML and PDF versions of all documentation in:

     Ready Lisp.app/Contents/Resources/html
     Ready Lisp.app/Contents/Resources/doc

** There are a few more Common Lisp libraries bundled in the core file
with
   this release:

   - CL-FAD
   - LOCAL-TIME
   - SERIES
   - MEMOIZE
   - CL-PPCRE

   I find these libraries very handy, but mainly I'm including them
because
   the upcoming release of my CL-Ledger accounting tool depends on
them, so it
   will work for Ready Lisp users out-of-the-box.  See the "doc"
subdirectory
   above for documentation on how to use these libraries (except
memoize,
   which does not have separate documentation; use MEMOIZE:MEMOIZE-
FUNCTION to
   mark a function as memoized).

From: Raffael Cavallaro
Subject: Re: New version of Ready Lisp for Mac OS X available
On 2007-12-06 15:20:29 -0500, JohnW <········@gmail.com> said:

> Once
> downloaded, you'll have a single application bundle which you can
> double-click -- and find yourself in a fully configured Common Lisp
> REPL.

Thanks for this. Unfortunately asdf-install is configured for your machine:

CL-USER> (asdf-install:install :cl-objc)
Install where?
1) Local installation:
   System in /Users/johnw/Library/Lisp/systems/
   Files in /Users/johnw/Library/Lisp/site/
2) System-wide install:
   System in /usr/local/stow/sbcl-1.0.12-x86_64/lib/sbcl/site-systems/
   Files in /usr/local/stow/sbcl-1.0.12-x86_64/lib/sbcl/site/
3) Personal installation:
   System in /Users/johnw/.sbcl/systems/
   Files in /Users/johnw/.sbcl/site/
 -->

I.e., you appear to have saved a core with asdf-install already loaded
which therefore has these directories hard-coded into the image.
From: JohnW
On Dec 6, 9:12 pm, Raffael Cavallaro <················@pas-d'espam-
s'il-vous-plait-mac.com> wrote:
> On 2007-12-06 15:20:29 -0500, JohnW <········@gmail.com> said:
>
> > Once
> > downloaded, you'll have a single application bundle which you can
> > double-click -- and find yourself in a fully configured Common Lisp
> > REPL.
>
> Thanks for this. Unfortunately asdf-install is configured for your machine:
>
> CL-USER> (asdf-install:install :cl-objc)
> Install where?
> 1) Local installation:
>    System in /Users/johnw/Library/Lisp/systems/
>    Files in /Users/johnw/Library/Lisp/site/
> 2) System-wide install:
>    System in /usr/local/stow/sbcl-1.0.12-x86_64/lib/sbcl/site-systems/
>    Files in /usr/local/stow/sbcl-1.0.12-x86_64/lib/sbcl/site/
> 3) Personal installation:
>    System in /Users/johnw/.sbcl/systems/
>    Files in /Users/johnw/.sbcl/site/
>  -->
>
> I.e., you appear to have saved a core with asdf-install already loaded
> which therefore has these directories hard-coded into the image.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.  I'll be uploading a fixed
replacement in about an hour.

John
From: Raffael Cavallaro
On 2007-12-07 13:15:34 -0500, JohnW <········@gmail.com> said:

> Thanks for bringing this to my attention.  I'll be uploading a fixed
> replacement in about an hour.

This latest one has the problem below. Note that the directory
/usr/local/stow/ did not exist on my system until I launched Ready
Lisp.app. Is this something else in your saved image which you can't
assume is on the user's machine?

CL-USER> (require 'asdf-install)
WARNING:
   Missing FILE-WRITE-DATE for
   #P"/usr/local/stow/sbcl-1.0.12-x86_64/lib/sbcl/sb-bsd-sockets/NEWS":
   treating operation #<ASDF:COMPILE-OP NIL {10040E50F1}> on component
   #<ASDF:STATIC-FILE "NEWS" {100267DBE1}> as done.
WARNING:
   Missing FILE-WRITE-DATE for
   #P"/usr/local/stow/sbcl-1.0.12-x86_64/lib/sbcl/sb-bsd-sockets/TODO":
   treating operation #<ASDF:COMPILE-OP NIL {10040E50F1}> on component
   #<ASDF:STATIC-FILE "TODO" {100267DC01}> as done.

and

The file
"/usr/local/stow/sbcl-1.0.12-x86_64/lib/sbcl/sb-grovel/defpackage.lisp"
does not exist.
   [Condition of type SB-INT:SIMPLE-FILE-ERROR]
From: JohnW
On Dec 7, 11:42 pm, Raffael Cavallaro <················@pas-d'espam-
s'il-vous-plait-mac.com> wrote:
> On 2007-12-07 13:15:34 -0500, JohnW <········@gmail.com> said:
>
> > Thanks for bringing this to my attention.  I'll be uploading a fixed
> > replacement in about an hour.
>
> This latest one has the problem below. Note that the directory
> /usr/local/stow/ did not exist on my system until I launched Ready
> Lisp.app. Is this something else in your saved image which you can't
> assume is on the user's machine?
>
> CL-USER> (require 'asdf-install)
> WARNING:
>    Missing FILE-WRITE-DATE for
>    #P"/usr/local/stow/sbcl-1.0.12-x86_64/lib/sbcl/sb-bsd-sockets/NEWS":
>    treating operation #<ASDF:COMPILE-OP NIL {10040E50F1}> on component
>    #<ASDF:STATIC-FILE "NEWS" {100267DBE1}> as done.
> WARNING:
>    Missing FILE-WRITE-DATE for
>    #P"/usr/local/stow/sbcl-1.0.12-x86_64/lib/sbcl/sb-bsd-sockets/TODO":
>    treating operation #<ASDF:COMPILE-OP NIL {10040E50F1}> on component
>    #<ASDF:STATIC-FILE "TODO" {100267DC01}> as done.
>
> and
>
> The file
> "/usr/local/stow/sbcl-1.0.12-x86_64/lib/sbcl/sb-grovel/defpackage.lisp"
> does not exist.
>    [Condition of type SB-INT:SIMPLE-FILE-ERROR]

It would appear that more is getting saved into the core image than
desired.
I'll keep pruning until there are no hard-coded references to my own
system
anymore.

John
From: JohnW
s'il-vous-plait-mac.com> wrote:
> On 2007-12-07 13:15:34 -0500, JohnW <········@gmail.com> said:
>
> > Thanks for bringing this to my attention.  I'll be uploading a fixed replacement in about an hour.
>
> This latest one has the problem below. Note that the directory /usr/local/stow/ did not exist on my system until I launched Ready Lisp.app. Is this something else in your saved image which you can't assume is on the user's machine?

Ok, the remaining pathing issues appear to be fixed.  I copied the
final image over to my PowerBook G4, and did a require 'asdf-install
followed by the installation of a package not part of the bundle.
Please let me know if there are further issues which I haven't
considered yet.

Here is the announcement I posted on my website concerning this bug
fix release:

A couple of pathname issues were discovered in the release of Ready
Lisp that was posted yesterday, leading to the inability to load asdf-
install (or use it). These have been fixed in the new release uploaded
today. If you now use asdf-install and choose a "system-wide"
installation, the installed packages get saved in your Application
bundle. However, due to the way that asdf-install itself works, if you
then move your application bundle to another directory, symbolic links
in the systems directory will get broken. So I recommend installing
new packages into your home directory instead.

Also, the sources for SBCL are now included, meaning that if you use
M-. (jump to definition) and pick a function like mapcar, it will drop
you into the source code for SBCL's mapcar implementation.

The new version is available here (the old link still works, it is now
a reference to this URL):

  ftp://ftp.newartisans.com/pub/lisp/ReadyLisp-1.0.12-10.5.1-2.dmg

Lastly, I've created a new home page for the Ready Lisp project, which
now lives here:

  http://www.newartisans.com/software/readylisp.html

John
From: Raffael Cavallaro
On 2007-12-08 19:12:20 -0500, JohnW <········@gmail.com> said:

> Please let me know if there are further issues which I haven't
> considered yet.

Dowloading it now - I'll let you know if anything else comes up.

Thanks again for doing the work for this. I wish this sort of app
package existed when I started messing around with open source lisps
and asdf. I don't think one can overstate the value to a newcomer of
having the configuration pre-packaged.

regards,

Ralph