From: gavino
Subject: project question
I have a project to from a windows box scan a network attached storage
filesystem for the presence of media files.  The app must then record
this info.  From this recording 150 servers must read in order to stay
current as to what is on the file system.  It seems trivial but the
java goons at work are hemming and hawing.  How would a lisper handle
this?

From: Ken Tilton
Subject: Re: project question
gavino wrote:
> I have a project to from a windows box scan a network attached storage
> filesystem for the presence of media files.  The app must then record
> this info.  From this recording 150 servers must read in order to stay
> current as to what is on the file system.  It seems trivial but the
> java goons at work are hemming and hawing.  How would a lisper handle
> this?

Hand grenades. No need to aim.

hth,kenny

--
http://www.theoryyalgebra.com/

"In the morning, hear the Way;
  in the evening, die content!"
                     -- Confucius
From: Edi Weitz
On Tue, 4 Dec 2007 22:44:04 -0800 (PST), gavino <·········@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a project to from a windows box scan a network attached
> storage filesystem for the presence of media files.  The app must
> then record this info.  From this recording 150 servers must read in
> order to stay current as to what is on the file system.  It seems
> trivial but the java goons at work are hemming and hawing.  How
> would a lisper handle this?

  "delivering lisp apps on windows is like delivering soufflet to a
   dogbowl"

                                                -- gavino, ca. 2007
From: Rainer Joswig
In article
<····································@x69g2000hsx.googlegroups.com>,
 gavino <·········@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a project to from a windows box scan a network attached storage
> filesystem for the presence of media files.  The app must then record
> this info.  From this recording 150 servers must read in order to stay
> current as to what is on the file system.  It seems trivial but the
> java goons at work are hemming and hawing.  How would a lisper handle
> this?

I would give them an energy drink. If they still have no idea,
give them a consciousness-enhancing drug.

--
http://lispm.dyndns.org/
From: Dimiter "malkia" Stanev
gavino wrote:
> I have a project to from a windows box scan a network attached storage
> filesystem for the presence of media files.  The app must then record
> this info.  From this recording 150 servers must read in order to stay
> current as to what is on the file system.  It seems trivial but the
> java goons at work are hemming and hawing.  How would a lisper handle
> this?

Potato-sacking.
From: Slobodan Blazeski
On Dec 4, 10:44 pm, gavino <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a project to from a windows box scan a network attached storage
> filesystem for the presence of media files.  The app must then record
> this info.  From this recording 150 servers must read in order to stay
> current as to what is on the file system.  It seems trivial but the
> java goons at work are hemming and hawing.  How would a lisper handle
> this?

Very easy
From: Jason
On Dec 4, 10:44 pm, gavino <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a project to from a windows box scan a network attached storage
> filesystem for the presence of media files.  The app must then record
> this info.  From this recording 150 servers must read in order to stay
> current as to what is on the file system.  It seems trivial but the
> java goons at work are hemming and hawing.  How would a lisper handle
> this?

Do it in bash!

$ MEDIA_TYPES="mp3 ogg mpg mov"
$ for type in $MEDIA_TYPES
> do echo "searching for $type files..."
> find . -name \*.$type
> done > results.txt

-Jason
From: Jason
On Dec 6, 8:02 am, Jason <·······@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Dec 4, 10:44 pm, gavino <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I have a project to from a windows box scan a network attached storage
> > filesystem for the presence of media files.  The app must then record
> > this info.  From this recording 150 servers must read in order to stay
> > current as to what is on the file system.  It seems trivial but the
> > java goons at work are hemming and hawing.  How would a lisper handle
> > this?
>
> Do it in bash!
>
> $ MEDIA_TYPES="mp3 ogg mpg mov"
> $ for type in $MEDIA_TYPES
>
> > do echo "searching for $type files..."
> > find . -name \*.$type
> > done > results.txt
>
> -Jason

Seriously, I have some gnu-emacs lisp that walks a directory tree
looking for files that match a filter, and returns their full paths in
list form, like this:

(loop for file in (files-in-below-directory "c:/temp" ".cmd")
      do (print file))

"c:/temp/stopallservices.cmd"
"c:/temp/startallservices.cmd"
"c:/temp/scripts/sql/cleanup/DeleteTrades.cmd"
"c:/temp/scripts/sql/cleanup/CleanupTrades.cmd"
"c:/temp/scripts/oracle/Restore.cmd"
"c:/temp/scripts/oracle/ResetPassword.cmd"
"c:/temp/scripts/oracle/ImpTables.cmd"
"c:/temp/scripts/oracle/DeleteTrades.cmd"
"c:/temp/c++/dtcc/secexit.cmd"
nil

You want me to send it to you?

-Jason