From: someusernamehere
Subject: help with list's interactuvely
Hey, I have some like this:

    (foo '(("bar" . "AAAA")
	 ("bleh" . "BBBB") ("blah" . "blabhals"))
       (bling '(("sasa"."CCCC")
              ("sho" . mu) ("nah" . 23) ("qwe" . 3)
	      ("sho" . "DDDD"))))

So, I need a way for get the AAAA, BBBB, and CCCC values
interactively, I mean, with a prompt for user, can anyone help me
please :)

From: D Herring
Subject: Re: help with list's interactuvely
someusernamehere wrote:
> Hey, I have some like this:
>
>     (foo '(("bar" . "AAAA")
> 	 ("bleh" . "BBBB") ("blah" . "blabhals"))
>        (bling '(("sasa"."CCCC")
>               ("sho" . mu) ("nah" . 23) ("qwe" . 3)
> 	      ("sho" . "DDDD"))))
>

> So, I need a way for get the AAAA, BBBB, and CCCC values
> interactively, I mean, with a prompt for user, can anyone help me
> please :)

Something like this?
(defun interact ()
   (let ((aa (progn (princ "Enter AA: ")
		   (read)))
	(bb (progn (princ "Enter BB: ")
		   (read))))
     (list aa bb)))

- Daniel
From: Kent M Pitman
D Herring <········@at.tentpost.dot.com> writes:

> someusernamehere wrote:
> > Hey, I have some like this:
> >     (foo '(("bar" . "AAAA")
> > 	 ("bleh" . "BBBB") ("blah" . "blabhals"))
> >        (bling '(("sasa"."CCCC")
> >               ("sho" . mu) ("nah" . 23) ("qwe" . 3)
> > 	      ("sho" . "DDDD"))))
> > So, I need a way for get the AAAA, BBBB, and CCCC values
> > interactively, I mean, with a prompt for user, can anyone help me
> > please :)
>
> Something like this?
> (defun interact ()
>    (let ((aa (progn (princ "Enter AA: ")
> 		   (read)))
> 	(bb (progn (princ "Enter BB: ")
> 		   (read))))
>      (list aa bb)))

Don't even be afraid to abstract this.

  (defun read-prompted (format-string &rest format-args)
    (apply #'format *query-io* "~&Enter ·@?: " format-string format-args)
    (force-output *query-io*)
    (read *query-io*))

That will let you do things like this which don't have PROGN mixed into
awkward positions...

  (loop for dimension in '(:row :column)
        append (list dimension
                    (read-prompted "~(~A~) height" dimension)))
  Enter row height: 3
  Enter column height: 4
  (:ROW 3 :COLUMN 4)

For easy reference:

 ~&  gets a fresh line
     See http://www.lispworks.com/documentation/HyperSpec/Body/22_cac.htm

 ·@? recursively calls fromat on the subsequent args
     See http://www.lispworks.com/documentation/HyperSpec/Body/22_cgf.htm

Note that the reason I chose to have the constant text ("Enter " and ": ")
in the above example are added by READ-PROMPTED rather than left to the
user is so that then it's more modular to change your prompting style
consistently if it's all in one place.  The LispM's Dynamic Windows
did this for accept/present (and it may have been inherited in CLIM,
I didn't check).
From: Frank Goenninger DG1SBG
someusernamehere <················@gmail.com> writes:

> Hey, I have some like this:
>
>     (foo '(("bar" . "AAAA")
> 	 ("bleh" . "BBBB") ("blah" . "blabhals"))
>        (bling '(("sasa"."CCCC")
>               ("sho" . mu) ("nah" . 23) ("qwe" . 3)
> 	      ("sho" . "DDDD"))))
>

> So, I need a way for get the AAAA, BBBB, and CCCC values
> interactively, I mean, with a prompt for user, can anyone help me
> please :)

No - because you didn't specify what you expect the user to type in at
the prompt in order to distinguish between selecting either AAAA or
BBBB or CCCC.

--

  Frank Goenninger

  frgo(at)mac(dot)com

  "Don't ask me! I haven't been reading comp.lang.lisp long enough to
  really know ..."
From: someusernamehere
On Dec 1, 10:25 am, Frank Goenninger DG1SBG <·············@nomail.org>
wrote:
> someusernamehere <··················@gmail.com> writes:
> > Hey, I have some like this:
>
> >     (foo '(("bar" . "AAAA")
> >     ("bleh" . "BBBB") ("blah" . "blabhals"))
> >        (bling '(("sasa"."CCCC")
> >               ("sho" . mu) ("nah" . 23) ("qwe" . 3)
> >          ("sho" . "DDDD"))))
>
> > So, I need a way for get the AAAA, BBBB, and CCCC values
> > interactively, I mean, with a prompt for user, can anyone help me
> > please :)
>
> No - because you didn't specify what you expect the user to type in at
> the prompt in order to distinguish between selecting either AAAA or
> BBBB or CCCC.

The use can enter any kind of values, numbers, lyrics, or symbols :D,
thanks