From: Ken Tilton
Subject: rotatef mystery
Saw this in the doc for rotatef, don't get it:

"If a place produces more values than there are store variables, the
extra values are ignored. If a place produces fewer values than there
are store variables, the missing values are set to nil. "

OK: (rotatef x y z)

How does a place, say, y produce more values than there are store
variables?!

kt

--
http://www.theoryyalgebra.com/

"We are what we pretend to be." -Kurt Vonnegut

From: Scott Burson
Subject: Re: rotatef mystery
On Aug 30, 7:36 am, Ken Tilton <···········@optonline.net> wrote:
> Saw this in the doc for rotatef, don't get it:

What?  Kenny has a question??  BUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

:)

-- Scott
From: Ken Tilton
Scott Burson wrote:
> On Aug 30, 7:36 am, Ken Tilton <···········@optonline.net> wrote:
>
>>Saw this in the doc for rotatef, don't get it:
>

> What?  Kenny has a question??  BUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Hey, Lisp is a big language, and it only /seems/ that I am perfect.

Thx to all for the reminder that (values...) is a place.

kt

From: Pascal Costanza
Ken Tilton wrote:
> Saw this in the doc for rotatef, don't get it:
>
> "If a place produces more values than there are store variables, the
> extra values are ignored. If a place produces fewer values than there
> are store variables, the missing values are set to nil. "
>
> OK: (rotatef x y z)
>
> How does a place, say, y produce more values than there are store
> variables?!

(rotatef (value x x1) (values) y)

Pascal

--
My website: http://p-cos.net
From: Pascal Costanza
Pascal Costanza wrote:
> Ken Tilton wrote:
>> Saw this in the doc for rotatef, don't get it:
>>
>> "If a place produces more values than there are store variables, the
>> extra values are ignored. If a place produces fewer values than there
>> are store variables, the missing values are set to nil. "
>>
>> OK: (rotatef x y z)
>>
>> How does a place, say, y produce more values than there are store
>> variables?!
>
> (rotatef (value x x1) (values) y)

Sorry: (rotatef (values x x1) (values) y)

Pascal

--
My website: http://p-cos.net
From: Pascal Bourguignon
Ken Tilton <···········@optonline.net> writes:

> Saw this in the doc for rotatef, don't get it:
>
> "If a place produces more values than there are store variables, the
> extra values are ignored. If a place produces fewer values than there
> are store variables, the missing values are set to nil. "
>
> OK: (rotatef x y z)
>
> How does a place, say, y produce more values than there are store
> variables?!
>
> kt

(defparameter *a* 1)
(defparameter *b* 1)
(defparameter *c* 1)

(defun fun () (values *a* *b* *c*))
(defun (setf fun) (val)
    (setf *a* val
          *b* (* val val)
          *c* (* val val val))
    (values *a* *b* *c*))

(define-symbol-macro y (fun))

Have fun!

(I don't know how y will behave in rotatef, no time now to find out).

COMPONENT EQUIVALENCY NOTICE: The subatomic particles (electrons,
protons, etc.) comprising this product are exactly the same in every
measurable respect as those used in the products of other
manufacturers, and no claim to the contrary may legitimately be
expressed or implied.
From: Kaz Kylheku
On Aug 30, 7:36 am, Ken Tilton <···········@optonline.net> wrote:
> How does a place, say, y produce more values than there are store
> variables?!

Go read the HyperSpec from beginning to end, you irksome newbie.
From: Ken Tilton
Kaz Kylheku wrote:
> On Aug 30, 7:36 am, Ken Tilton <···········@optonline.net> wrote:
>
>>How does a place, say, y produce more values than there are store
>>variables?!
>

> Go read the HyperSpec from beginning to end, you irksome newbie.

When I have you suckers to do it for me???

kenny

From: Espen Vestre
Kaz Kylheku <········@gmail.com> writes:

> Go read the HyperSpec from beginning to end, you irksome newbie.

Some of us still think CLtL I is The Only True Gospel, we'll never
touch those heretical constructs (like value-places or even worse:
lambdas without #!) that were added by False Prophets ;-)
--
  (espen)