From: Erik R.
Subject: Breakpoints in SLIME
Just a quick question.  As I understand it, the way you "put a
breakpoint" in your code to debug with Slime is, as the manual says:
----
SLIME has a custom Emacs-based debugger called SLDB. Conditions
signalled in the Lisp
system invoke SLDB in Emacs by way of the Lisp *DEBUGGER-HOOK*.

SLDB pops up a buffer when a condition is signalled. The buffer displays
a description
of the condition, a list of restarts, and a backtrace. Commands are
offered for invoking
restarts, examining the backtrace, and poking around in stack frames.
----
I'm new to lisp and haven't done any serious signaling yet.
Presumably this means that I need to do something like...
---
(signal *debugger-hook*)
---
But then I need a restart to be able to continue after I've examined
the stack frame, right?  Can someone tell me how to do that?  I can't
find any examples anywhere in the Slime docs.

No doubt you serious lispers do this several times a day, so it should
be an easy question.

Thanks,
Erik

From: Zach Beane
Subject: Re: Breakpoints in SLIME
"Erik R." <·············@gmail.com> writes:

> I'm new to lisp and haven't done any serious signaling yet.
> Presumably this means that I need to do something like...
> ---
> (signal *debugger-hook*)
> ---
> But then I need a restart to be able to continue after I've examined
> the stack frame, right?  Can someone tell me how to do that?  I can't
> find any examples anywhere in the Slime docs.
>
> No doubt you serious lispers do this several times a day, so it should
> be an easy question.

Put (break) forms where you want to stop and examine program
state. You can resume from a break by picking the right restart in
sldb.

Zach
From: Erik R.
On Aug 27, 10:28 pm, Zach Beane <····@xach.com> wrote:
> "Erik R." <·············@gmail.com> writes:
> > I'm new to lisp and haven't done any serious signaling yet.
> > Presumably this means that I need to do something like...
> > ---
> > (signal *debugger-hook*)
> > ---
> > But then I need a restart to be able to continue after I've examined
> > the stack frame, right?  Can someone tell me how to do that?  I can't
> > find any examples anywhere in the Slime docs.
>
> > No doubt you serious lispers do this several times a day, so it should
> > be an easy question.
>
> Put (break) forms where you want to stop and examine program
> state. You can resume from a break by picking the right restart in
> sldb.
>
> Zach

Bingo!  I KNEW it was a simple question.  Thanks, Zach.

-Erik