From: ········@gmail.com
Subject: non-crippled lisp on Solaris?
Hi--

does anyone know of a non-crippled version of CL that runs on
Solaris?  CMUCL purports to do do, but nothing in the multiprocessing
packaging works , SBCL has an antediluvian version that sort of works
but has no threads (or any means of multiprocessing), clisp has a
baroque installation process that ends up in non-functioning binary.

I need multiprocessing (not necessarily multi-threading, or native
threads, just something that will allow me to spawn some concurrent
subprocesses and supervise them), and enough moxie to be able to run
cl-ppcre and (perhaps) acl-compat, to drive a simulator.

Any ideas?

thanks,

Tiarnan

From: Espen Vestre
Subject: Re: non-crippled lisp on Solaris?
·········@gmail.com" <········@gmail.com> writes:

> does anyone know of a non-crippled version of CL that runs on
> Solaris?

LispWorks. But the unix version is still at v. 4.4.
--
  (espen)
From: ········@gmail.com
On Aug 21, 11:09 am, Espen Vestre <·····@vestre.net> wrote:
> ·········@gmail.com" <········@gmail.com> writes:
> > does anyone know of a non-crippled version of CL that runs on
> > Solaris?
>
> LispWorks. But the unix version is still at v. 4.4.

Hmm, perhaps, but I'm not willing to pony up >1000 to find out whether
it's good enough.  Perhaps I'll give the evaluation edition a try.

Should have specified SPARC architecture, btw.

thanks,

Tiarnan
From: ········@gmail.com
On Aug 21, 11:13 am, ·········@gmail.com" <········@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Aug 21, 11:09 am, Espen Vestre <·····@vestre.net> wrote:
>
> > ·········@gmail.com" <········@gmail.com> writes:
> > > does anyone know of a non-crippled version of CL that runs on
> > > Solaris?
>
> > LispWorks. But the unix version is still at v. 4.4.
>
> Hmm, perhaps, but I'm not willing to pony up >1000 to find out whether
> it's good enough.  Perhaps I'll give the evaluation edition a try.

There is no personal edition for Unix, and no mention of any LW 4.4 at
all on the website.
From: Espen Vestre

http://www.lispworks.com/products/lwu.html
--
  (espen)
From: Rainer Joswig
In article <························@a39g2000hsc.googlegroups.com>,
 ·········@gmail.com" <········@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Aug 21, 11:13 am, ·········@gmail.com" <········@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > LispWorks. But the unix version is still at v. 4.4.
> >
> > Hmm, perhaps, but I'm not willing to pony up >1000 to find out whether
> > it's good enough.  Perhaps I'll give the evaluation edition a try.
>
> There is no personal edition for Unix, and no mention of any LW 4.4 at
> all on the website.

http://www.lispworks.com/support/system-requirements.html#lwu
http://www.lispworks.com/products/lwu.html

You can always get a trial version from LispWorks.
Contact them and they can also give you a time-limited
license key, so you try out the full LispWorks.

AFAIK, Franz offers also time-limited versions for
evaluation.

--
http://lispm.dyndns.org
From: David Young
Yup, I have a fairly long history with the LispWorks folks, and
they've always been willing to supply an eval license of suitable
duration. Just ask. It's a terrific product; worth every penny.

-- david
From: Pascal Bourguignon
·········@gmail.com" <········@gmail.com> writes:
> does anyone know of a non-crippled version of CL that runs on
> Solaris?  CMUCL purports to do do, but nothing in the multiprocessing
> packaging works , SBCL has an antediluvian version that sort of works
> but has no threads (or any means of multiprocessing), clisp has a
> baroque installation process that ends up in non-functioning binary.
>
> I need multiprocessing (not necessarily multi-threading, or native
> threads, just something that will allow me to spawn some concurrent
> subprocesses and supervise them), and enough moxie to be able to run
> cl-ppcre and (perhaps) acl-compat, to drive a simulator.
>
> Any ideas?

Are you sure that a mere:

cd clisp-2.41
./configure \
        --prefix=/opt/clisp-2.41 \
        --build /tmp/clisp-2.41-build \
        --install

doesn't give you a working clisp on Solaris/Sparc?

While fork is defined in the LINUX package (glibc module) and probably
won't be available on solaris, you might still have access to it thru
FFI, if clisp can compile with FFI on sparc.

NOTE: The most fundamental particles in this product are held
together by a "gluing" force about which little is currently known
and whose adhesive power can therefore not be permanently
guaranteed.
From: Alex Mizrahi
(message (Hello ·········@gmail.com)
(you :wrote  :on '(Tue, 21 Aug 2007 10:04:53 -0000))
(

 o> does anyone know of a non-crippled version of CL that runs on
 o> Solaris?

ABCL runs on pretty everything that can run Java.
and it's slightly crippled -- it's not always smooth, there are glitches,
but typically there's some workaround or fix can be done relatively easily.

)
"choose no life")
From: Thomas F. Burdick
On Aug 21, 12:04 pm, ·········@gmail.com" <········@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi--
>
> does anyone know of a non-crippled version of CL that runs on
> Solaris?

[...]

> I need multiprocessing (not necessarily multi-threading, or native
> threads, just something that will allow me to spawn some concurrent
> subprocesses and supervise them), and enough moxie to be able to run
> cl-ppcre and (perhaps) acl-compat, to drive a simulator.

SBCL runs fine on Solaris, and if you need a more recent version than
the binary on the web site, you can use it to compile later releases.
The sb-posix package has fork, wait and pipe; if you can serialize
your results back to the parent process, unix processes work quite
nicely from Lisp.
From: ········@gmail.com
On Aug 21, 9:41 pm, "Thomas F. Burdick" <········@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Aug 21, 12:04 pm, ·········@gmail.com" <········@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi--
>
> > does anyone know of a non-crippled version of CL that runs on
> > Solaris?
>
> [...]
>
> > I need multiprocessing (not necessarily multi-threading, or native
> > threads, just something that will allow me to spawn some concurrent
> > subprocesses and supervise them), and enough moxie to be able to run
> > cl-ppcre and (perhaps) acl-compat, to drive a simulator.
>
> SBCL runs fine on Solaris, and if you need a more recent version than
> the binary on the web site, you can use it to compile later releases.
> The sb-posix package has fork, wait and pipe; if you can serialize
> your results back to the parent process, unix processes work quite
> nicely from Lisp.

I should clarify that I'm interested in Lisp subprocesses/threads
rather than native OS processes.  I want to be able to spawn n
simulator processes, and control them from the repl (or something like
it).  Something like process-run-function.

Thanks for all of the responses -- I'll try a recent sbcl, and perhaps
even go for ACL, even though I'm not all that comfortable with running
a restricted version of a commercial lisp that I can't justify
purchasing (yet, anyway).

Tiarnan
From: toy
········@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi--
>
> does anyone know of a non-crippled version of CL that runs on
> Solaris?  CMUCL purports to do do, but nothing in the multiprocessing
> packaging works , SBCL has an antediluvian version that sort of works

I use CMUCL on Solaris every day.  Works fine for me.  The
multiprocessing package is x86 only.  No one has bothered to port it to
Solaris.

> I need multiprocessing (not necessarily multi-threading, or native
> threads, just something that will allow me to spawn some concurrent
> subprocesses and supervise them), and enough moxie to be able to run
> cl-ppcre and (perhaps) acl-compat, to drive a simulator.

I know cl-ppcre runs fine, and I think acl-compat does.  No threading
available, but if you want to use fork/exec and sockets or pipes or
something to communicate, then CMUCL will work (as will sbcl and clisp,
probably).

Ray
From: Christophe
On 21 ao�t, 12:04, ·········@gmail.com" <········@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi--
>
> does anyone know of a non-crippled version of CL that runs on
> Solaris?  CMUCL purports to do do, but nothing in the multiprocessing
> packaging works , SBCL has an antediluvian version that sort of works
> but has no threads (or any means of multiprocessing), clisp has a
> baroque installation process that ends up in non-functioning binary.
>
> I need multiprocessing (not necessarily multi-threading, or native
> threads, just something that will allow me to spawn some concurrent
> subprocesses and supervise them), and enough moxie to be able to run
> cl-ppcre and (perhaps) acl-compat, to drive a simulator.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> thanks,
>
> Tiarnan

Perhaps the best way is to try Allegro CL.

Regards,

Christophe
From: Tim Bradshaw
On Aug 21, 11:04 am, ·········@gmail.com" <········@gmail.com> wrote-

> does anyone know of a non-crippled version of CL that runs on
> Solaris?

Just to reiterate what others have said: LispWorks does for sure -
I've personally run it on Solaris/SPARC (and I think x86 though am not
sure) on versions from 8-10.  They will give you a trial license, of
course.

I've taken non-trivial systems (20-30k lines) and built them with no
source changes at all on Solaris, Linux & Windows with LW (this was
before the mac port, but I'd not expect that to be problematic).

Allegro may well also have an offering, though I am not so familiar
with it.