From: iu2
Subject: swank away
Hi all,

A question about LispBox on Windows (Slime and CLISP):
Is it possible to split slime-swank into two different PCs?
I mean use the Emacs editing on my PC, while the Lisp app runs on a
different PC?

Thanks

BTW, what's with all those MI5 Presentation posts? They are
everywhere, on other groups too...

From: Pascal Bourguignon
Subject: Re: swank away
iu2 <·······@elbit.co.il> writes:
> A question about LispBox on Windows (Slime and CLISP):
> Is it possible to split slime-swank into two different PCs?
> I mean use the Emacs editing on my PC, while the Lisp app runs on a
> different PC?

Yes, this is a basic slime feature.
Read the manual of slime and http://www.cliki.net/SLIME-HOWTO

NOTE: The most fundamental particles in this product are held
together by a "gluing" force about which little is currently known
and whose adhesive power can therefore not be permanently
guaranteed.
From: Alex Mizrahi
(message (Hello 'iu2)
(you :wrote  :on '(Tue, 21 Aug 2007 00:02:36 -0700))
(

 i> A question about LispBox on Windows (Slime and CLISP):
 i> Is it possible to split slime-swank into two different PCs?
 i> I mean use the Emacs editing on my PC, while the Lisp app runs on a
 i> different PC?

yes, it's possible.
on remote computer open clisp and execute:

(load #p"path-to-swank/swank-loader.lisp")
(swank:create-server :port 4005 :dont-close t)

on computer with Emacs, M-x slime-connect and enter IP-address or hostname
of your remote computer.

make sure that firewall does not block port 4005 (in some cases it uses some
more ports, that depends on SLIME version, configuration and lisp
implementation used).

this is simpliest configuration -- if you have other computer on LAN, for
example.

in some cases you might want to use port forwarding via SSH. also, you might
want to execute commands on remote machine via SSH -- so you can create
batch file (say, "clisp-swank") calling CLISP with those commands, and then
just

ssh remote-machine clisp-swank

 i> BTW, what's with all those MI5 Presentation posts? They are
 i> everywhere, on other groups too...

spam. they say you can block it in firefox

)
"choose no life")