From: Mark Tarver
Subject: announcement: Qi 9.0 now available
This was announced last month on Qilang as a prerelease.

Qi 9.0 is now available from www.lambdassociates.org.

>From the download file whatsnew.htm.

Turbo Mode Introduced
____________________

As a result of the Harrop wars ;) on comp.lang.lisp regarding the
speed of Lisp, Qi 9.0 includes the turbo-E technology that was tested
on the News Groups; see

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/comp.lang.lisp/browse_frm/thread/ab05357fd5dc5923/e74a066aaf865278?hl=en#e74a066aaf865278

http://www.lambdassociates.org/studies/study10.htm

turbo-E was short for turbo-experimental. turbo-E produces very
efficient code.

In turbo mode, Qi 9.0 will produce code equivalent to the most
carefully hand-optimised Lisp list handling code. It will factorise
overlapping patterns to avoid repeating tests. Note the grouping
similar patterns together in your code will optimise the efficiency
gains from turbo-E.

turbo-E is disabled by default. To enable it, type (turbo +).

The object code from turbo-E is very difficult to read which is why it
is an option in this release. Those who want the comfort of being able
to read their Lisp source may prefer not to use it.

Mark

From: Slobodan Blazeski
Subject: Re: announcement: Qi 9.0 now available
Research Interests: sleeping at work

thanks

Slobodan
P.S
Actually getting those kind of logins might be a sign that Qi is
becoming popular.

On Aug 18, 5:22 pm, Mark Tarver <··········@ukonline.co.uk> wrote:
> This was announced last month on Qilang as a prerelease.
>
> Qi 9.0 is now available fromwww.lambdassociates.org.
>
> >From the download file whatsnew.htm.
>
> Turbo Mode Introduced
> ____________________
>
> As a result of the Harrop wars ;) on comp.lang.lisp regarding the
> speed of Lisp,

Lispers gained some benefits from our resident spammer action. Good
god.

From: Mark Tarver
On 18 Aug, 19:01, Slobodan Blazeski <·················@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Congratulation for your release Mark. One friendly remark, if you
> insisit on keeping data from people who download Qi please add some
> login page in your Questionnaire page for people who already
> downloaded previous releases of Qi to avoid filling the same things
> again and again. You don't have to many fields but it's annoying in
> it's present form and I wonder where you gonna get answers like:
> Name:   Donald
> Email:  ······@duck.com
> Research Interests: sleeping at work
>
> thanks
>
> Slobodan
> P.S
> Actually getting those kind of logins might be a sign that Qi is
> becoming popular.
>
> On Aug 18, 5:22 pm, Mark Tarver <··········@ukonline.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > This was announced last month on Qilang as a prerelease.
>
> > Qi 9.0 is now available fromwww.lambdassociates.org.
>
> > >From the download file whatsnew.htm.
>
> > Turbo Mode Introduced
> > ____________________
>
> > As a result of the Harrop wars ;) on comp.lang.lisp regarding the
> > speed of Lisp,
>
> Lispers gained some benefits from our resident spammer action. Good
> god.
>

> > Qi 9.0 includes the turbo-E technology that was tested
> > on the News Groups; see
>
> >http://groups.google.co.uk/group/comp.lang.lisp/browse_frm/thread/ab0...
>
> >http://www.lambdassociates.org/studies/study10.htm
>
> > turbo-E was short for turbo-experimental. turbo-E produces very
> > efficient code.
>
> > In turbo mode, Qi 9.0 will produce code equivalent to the most
> > carefully hand-optimised Lisp list handling code. It will factorise
> > overlapping patterns to avoid repeating tests. Note the grouping
> > similar patterns together in your code will optimise the efficiency
> > gains from turbo-E.
>
> > turbo-E is disabled by default. To enable it, type (turbo +).
>
> > The object code from turbo-E is very difficult to read which is why it
> > is an option in this release. Those who want the comfort of being able
> > to read their Lisp source may prefer not to use it.
>
> > Mark- Hide quoted text -

Actually filling in the form is *not* compulsory - its purely to get a
picture of users and to give them a chance to comment.

Mark
From: Matthias Buelow
Mark Tarver wrote:

> turbo-E was short for turbo-experimental. turbo-E produces very
> efficient code.

I'd be a bit careful with using the word "turbo" in combination with
programming languages... although in some experimental, academic
software it probably doesn't matter. (Borland might have some issues
with it otherwise.)
From: Mark Tarver
On 19 Aug, 14:31, Philippa Cowderoy <······@flippac.org> wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Aug 2007, Mark Tarver wrote:
> > To paraphrase a well-known cartoon character - Borland can eat my
> > shorts.  I don't accept that any company has the right to trademark a
> > term that existed years before their product ever saw light. I see
> > that they even try to appropriate the word 'silk' as their own despite
> > the fact that the Silk Route existed at the time of Marco Polo.  Total
> > BS.
>
> I'm betting they didn't trademark silk in the context of fabrics or
> anything likely to be made from fabric! And whether you accept their right
> ultimately isn't the issue - it's whether the courts do.
>
> --
> ······@flippac.org
>
> Sometimes you gotta fight fire with fire. Most
> of the time you just get burnt worse though.

Actually as I said - I don't give a stuff for them and I'm not
remotely impressed by their claim or the courts.  That for me is the
issue.

Mark
From: George Neuner
On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 19:33:20 -0000, Mark Tarver
<··········@ukonline.co.uk> wrote:

>On 19 Aug, 14:31, Philippa Cowderoy <······@flippac.org> wrote:
>> On Sun, 19 Aug 2007, Mark Tarver wrote:
>> > To paraphrase a well-known cartoon character - Borland can eat my
>> > shorts.  I don't accept that any company has the right to trademark a
>> > term that existed years before their product ever saw light. I see
>> > that they even try to appropriate the word 'silk' as their own despite
>> > the fact that the Silk Route existed at the time of Marco Polo.  Total
>> > BS.
>>
>> I'm betting they didn't trademark silk in the context of fabrics or
>> anything likely to be made from fabric! And whether you accept their right
>> ultimately isn't the issue - it's whether the courts do.
>>
>> --
>> ······@flippac.org
>>
>> Sometimes you gotta fight fire with fire. Most
>> of the time you just get burnt worse though.
>
>Actually as I said - I don't give a stuff for them and I'm not
>remotely impressed by their claim or the courts.  That for me is the
>issue.

I'm not a lawyer but I don't think there would be any issue with a
language _feature_ going by the name "Turbo".  What I would be careful
of is naming the language itself or any development tool connected
with it - something like "Turbo Qi" is bound to provoke a response
from Borland.

And by the way, regardless of what you may think, trademark
infringement is serious business.  Trademarks have to be used and
defended or they revert to public domain.  Borland is actively using
the "Turbo" mark and they will be keen to defend it.

Given that Qi is targeting similar[*] markets as Borland's own
products, probability is 99.44% you would lose.  It helps a lot that
you're not selling Qi - the court is unlikely to award much (or
anything) in monetary damages - but you have to stop using "Turbo" in
connection with your product and likely have to pay the court fees (in
addition to your own legal bills).

[*] the court won't appreciate any distinctions you may try to make
between Qi and Delphi et al and/or their respective programmers or
target applications.  The court will hear that Qi is a "programming
language" and then you are dead.

George
--
for email reply remove "/" from address