From: gavino
Subject: self vs lisp
http://research.sun.com/self/language.html

can someone comment on how self differs from lisp? it claims a lot...

From: ··············@yahoo.com
Subject: Re: self vs lisp
I didn't read your link, but self should have much more in common with
smalltalk than lisp.  From what I read in the past, it is supposed to
be object-oriented (more along the lines of smalltalk, not C++ or
java), and I believe it was developed (originally) by one of the
smalltalk gurus.  Probably either no typing at all or dynamic typing.
Interpreted of course, but possibly compilable as well, or byte-code
compiled/interpreted, etc.

The object-oriented model is different than smalltalk... something
about "slots" in objects that you can do anything with (similar to
javascript in that respect I suppose).  All in all, I wouldn't see
much of anything in common with lisp, except for broad generalities
such as being interpreted.  What gave you the idea they might be
similar?

It sounded like a good idea when it was invented, but I shudder to
think what Sun has in store for the language, seeing how they chose to
map a C++ notion of "object-oriented" onto Java.  Yuk.
From: Sard
From: ··············@yahoo.com
> I've read that
> Forth also supports interactive, incremental development and
> encourages the building up of the language from a few basic parts.

More so than any other language I can think of, off the top of my
head.  More so than lisp.
From: sj
 ··············@yahoo.com wrote:

>> I've read that
>> Forth also supports interactive, incremental development and
>> encourages the building up of the language from a few basic parts.
>
> More so than any other language I can think of, off the top of my
> head.  More so than lisp.

I may be way off here so I offer this with no guarantee whatever.... But...
I recall reading somewhere that Charles Moore was a student of McCarthy?