From: ···············@gmail.com
Subject: Lispbox on external disk
Hi,

I don't have a computer yet. We can't install applications on
computers in our labs. When I downloaded CLISP bundled for the book
practical common lisp, it was a zip file. I have unzipped it on my
external hard drive. When I run lispbox.bat Emacs runs fine. But then
it is trying to writes files on the c:\ drive of the computer, which
we don't have access to, emacs emits errors messages.

There is no documentation with what I've downloaded.
Thanks for your advice.

From: ···············@gmail.com
Subject: Re: Lispbox on external disk
This is the emacs screen I'm getting...

(load "f:/2007/lisp/slime-20060110/swank-loader.lisp" :verbose t)
(swank:start-server "c:/DOCUME~1/surf28/LOCALS~1/Temp/slime.
2768" :external-format :iso-latin-1-unix)

  i i i i i i i       ooooo    o        ooooooo   ooooo   ooooo
  I I I I I I I      8     8   8           8     8     o  8    8
  I  \ `+' /  I      8         8           8     8        8    8
   \  `-+-'  /       8         8           8      ooooo   8oooo
    `-__|__-'        8         8           8           8  8
        |            8     o   8           8     o     8  8
  ------+------       ooooo    8oooooo  ooo8ooo   ooooo   8

Copyright (c) Bruno Haible, Michael Stoll 1992, 1993
Copyright (c) Bruno Haible, Marcus Daniels 1994-1997
Copyright (c) Bruno Haible, Pierpaolo Bernardi, Sam Steingold 1998
Copyright (c) Bruno Haible, Sam Steingold 1999-2000
Copyright (c) Sam Steingold, Bruno Haible 2001-2006

[1]>
*** - Win32 error 5 (ERROR_ACCESS_DENIED): Access is denied.
The following restarts are available:
SKIP           :R1      skip (COMPILE-FILES-IF-NEEDED-SERIALLY #)
STOP           :R2      stop loading file F:\2007\lisp
\slime-20060110\swank-loader.lisp
ABORT          :R3      ABORT
Break 1 SWANK-LOADER[2]>
From: anders
I am thinking you have a old version, becurse if you download LISP-IN-
BOX for windows today
you download a basesett and a lispversion both comes a .exe

I download CLISP but there is more to select from.

1 run base installera
2. Run lisp stuff

I have look att the installed stuff and can' find any ting saying use
c:\
may may beginner skill can't found it or there was in the old version.

se http://common-lisp.net/project/lispbox/
On this page you find liks for EMACS and SLIME
From: Pascal Bourguignon
···············@gmail.com writes:

> Hi,
>
> I don't have a computer yet. We can't install applications on
> computers in our labs. When I downloaded CLISP bundled for the book
> practical common lisp, it was a zip file. I have unzipped it on my
> external hard drive. When I run lispbox.bat Emacs runs fine. But then
> it is trying to writes files on the c:\ drive of the computer, which
> we don't have access to, emacs emits errors messages.
>
> There is no documentation with what I've downloaded.
> Thanks for your advice.

emacs use the HOME environment variable.  By default, it's somewhere on C:\.

If you set the HOME environment variable to some other path (eg
somewhere on F:\) before launching emacs (lispbox.bat), it should be ok.

I  don't know the  exact syntax  how to  set environment  variables in
MS-DOS.  Perhaps there's an example inside lispbox.bat itself.

"Do not adjust your mind, there is a fault in reality"
 -- on a wall many years ago in Oxford.
From: ···············@gmail.com
On May 2, 9:14 am, Pascal Bourguignon <····@informatimago.com> wrote:
> ···············@gmail.com writes:
> > Hi,
>
> > I don't have a computer yet. We can't install applications on
> > computers in our labs. When I downloaded CLISP bundled for the book
> > practical common lisp, it was a zip file. I have unzipped it on my
> > external hard drive. When I run lispbox.bat Emacs runs fine. But then
> > it is trying to writes files on the c:\ drive of the computer, which
> > we don't have access to, emacs emits errors messages.
>
> > There is no documentation with what I've downloaded.
> > Thanks for your advice.
>
> emacs use the HOME environment variable.  By default, it's somewhere on C:\.
>
> If you set the HOME environment variable to some other path (eg
> somewhere on F:\) before launching emacs (lispbox.bat), it should be ok.
>
> I  don't know the  exact syntax  how to  set environment  variables in
> MS-DOS.  Perhaps there's an example inside lispbox.bat itself.
>
> --
> __Pascal Bourguignon__                    http://www.informatimago.com/
>
> "Do not adjust your mind, there is a fault in reality"
>  -- on a wall many years ago in Oxford.

Thanks a lot Pascal