From: jimka
Subject: how to pronounce BOUND
>From looking the hyper spec, it looks like the writers intended for
BOUND
and BAND to be pronounced the same.  Does anyone else find this
strange?
Was the hyperspec writer from Newcastle?  (grins no offense to anyone
from newcastle)

http://www.lisp.org/HyperSpec/Body/fun_fboundp.html#fboundp

Pronunciation:

[,ef'bandpee]

http://www.lisp.org/HyperSpec/Body/fun_fmakunbound.html#fmakunbound

Pronunciation:

[,ef'makuhn,band] or [,ef'maykuhn,band]

From: Kent M Pitman
Subject: Re: how to pronounce BOUND
jimka <·····@rdrop.com> writes:

> >From looking the hyper spec, it looks like the writers intended for
> BOUND
> and BAND to be pronounced the same.  Does anyone else find this
> strange?
> Was the hyperspec writer from Newcastle?  (grins no offense to anyone
> from newcastle)
>
> http://www.lisp.org/HyperSpec/Body/fun_fboundp.html#fboundp
>
> Pronunciation:
>
> [,ef'bandpee]
>
> http://www.lisp.org/HyperSpec/Body/fun_fmakunbound.html#fmakunbound
>
> Pronunciation:
>
> [,ef'makuhn,band] or [,ef'maykuhn,band]

I don't have a copy of the hardcopy standard handy at this moment
so can't check whether this is a simple typo in the spec or
something else.  As I mentioned in the HyperSpec itself:

| Additional Disclaimers
|
| Not all notations in that TeX-based document were possible to
| represent exactly in HTML, although an attempt has been made to be
| as accurate as possible. Nevertheless, the process of translation
| was heuristic, and discrepancies might have resulted. Formally, the
| official ANSI printed document is always the definitive reference.

Source:
  http://www.lispworks.com/documentation/HyperSpec/Front/Help.htm#Caveats

The significance is that the pronunciation characters did not exist in
HTML when the HyperSpec was first produced, and so I substituted
transliteration.  I've maintained that over the years because many
browsers were not good with Unicode character entities.  They're getting
better and it might be close to time to consider using them.

Then again, it might be just a typo in either the spec or the
translation tool.  I'll have to check that later.
From: Joe Marshall

Nah.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston_accent