From: erikcw
Subject: Problems with slime and cmucl
Hi all,

Firstly - please pardon my ignorance.  I'm a newbie just starting out
in my Lisp journey.

I'm trying to get slime up and running under Xemacs and cmucl.  I'm
pretty sure I've installed everything correctly, but my slime
environment doesn't look right. (I had slime/cmucl working great on a
previous version of Ubuntu.  I'm now running Ubuntu 7.04/Feisty).

On my previous system (Ubuntu Edgy) I had:
-Auto Indenting
-A slime/Lisp drop down menu in Xemacs.
-A split frame would open for errors/debugging.
-A nice prompt to work from.

None of the above work presently.

When I load slime, the data below is printed to emacs:

(load "/usr/share/common-lisp/source/slime/swank-loader.lisp" :verbose
t(swank:start-server "/tmp/erik/slime.5652" :external-format :iso-
latin-1-unix)

CMU Common Lisp CVS release-19a 19a-release-20040728 + minimal debian
patches, running on turbo
With core: /usr/lib/cmucl/lisp.core
Dumped on: Mon, 2007-04-23 11:45:31-04:00 on turbo
For support see http://www.cons.org/cmucl/support.html Send bug
reports to the debian BTS.
or to ········@debian.org
type (help) for help, (quit) to exit, and (demo) to see the demos

Loaded subsystems:
Python 1.1, target Intel x86
CLOS based on Gerd's PCL 2004/04/14 03:32:47
*
cmu-cvs_release-19a_19a-release-20040728_+_minimal_debian_patches-
linux-x86/swank-backend.x86f".
cmu-cvs_release-19a_19a-release-20040728_+_minimal_debian_patches-
linux-x86/nregex.x86f".
cmu-cvs_release-19a_19a-release-20040728_+_minimal_debian_patches-
linux-x86/swank-source-path-parser.x86f".
cmu-cvs_release-19a_19a-release-20040728_+_minimal_debian_patches-
linux-x86/swank-source-file-cache.x86f".
cmu-cvs_release-19a_19a-release-20040728_+_minimal_debian_patches-
linux-x86/swank-cmucl.x86f".
cmu-cvs_release-19a_19a-release-20040728_+_minimal_debian_patches-
linux-x86/swank.x86f".
Warning: These Swank interfaces are unimplemented:
(CALLS-WHO RESTART-FRAME SLDB-STEP-INTO SLDB-STEP-NEXT SLDB-STEP-OUT)
*
Unknown keyword: :EXTERNAL-FORMAT
[Condition of type KERNEL:SIMPLE-PROGRAM-ERROR]

Restarts:
0: [ABORT] Return to Top-Level.

Debug (type H for help)

("DEFUN START-SERVER" "/tmp/erik/slime.5652" 268432262 2)[:OPTIONAL]
Source:
; File: /usr/share/common-lisp/source/slime/swank.lisp
(DEFUN START-SERVER
(PORT-FILE
&KEY (STYLE *COMMUNICATION-STYLE*) (DONT-CLOSE *DONT-CLOSE*)
(CODING-SYSTEM *CODING-SYSTEM*))
"Start the server and write the listen port number to PORT-FILE.
This is the entry point for Emacs."
(FLET (#)
(IF # # #)))
0]

Pretty much the same output when I try sbcl.

Thank you so much for your time and help!
Erik

From: Holger Schauer
Subject: Re: Problems with slime and cmucl
On 4984 September 1993, erikcw wrote:
> I'm trying to get slime up and running under Xemacs and cmucl.  I'm
> pretty sure I've installed everything correctly, but my slime
> environment doesn't look right. (I had slime/cmucl working great on a
> previous version of Ubuntu.  I'm now running Ubuntu 7.04/Feisty).

This looks as if the installation of slime is severly broken.
What gives 'apt-cache policy slime' ?

> Unknown keyword: :EXTERNAL-FORMAT
> [Condition of type KERNEL:SIMPLE-PROGRAM-ERROR]

I can't remember whether that means your SBCL is too young or too old.
Maybe have a look at Ubuntus backtracking system launchpad, too.

Holger

--
---          http://hillview.bugwriter.net/            ---
"Eher spende ich das Geld den Zeugen Jehovas."
From: erikcw
On Apr 27, 6:29 am, Holger Schauer <··············@gmx.de> wrote:
> On 4984 September 1993, erikcw wrote:
>
> > I'm trying to get slime up and running under Xemacs and cmucl.  I'm
> > pretty sure I've installed everything correctly, but my slime
> > environment doesn't look right. (I had slime/cmucl working great on a
> > previous version of Ubuntu.  I'm now running Ubuntu 7.04/Feisty).
>
> This looks as if the installation of slime is severly broken.
> What gives 'apt-cache policy slime' ?
>
> > Unknown keyword: :EXTERNAL-FORMAT
> > [Condition of type KERNEL:SIMPLE-PROGRAM-ERROR]
>
> I can't remember whether that means your SBCL is too young or too old.
> Maybe have a look at Ubuntus backtracking system launchpad, too.
>
> Holger
>
> --
> ---          http://hillview.bugwriter.net/           ---
> "Eher spende ich das Geld den Zeugen Jehovas."
> "Kontonummer der Zeugen Jonas' auf Anfrage."
>                   -- Robin Socha und Jonas Luster in dcoul.misc

Hi Holger,

Here is the output from apt:
$ apt-cache policy slime
slime:
  Installed: 1:20061201-2
  Candidate: 1:20061201-2
  Version table:
 *** 1:20061201-2 0
        500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com feisty/multiverse Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
$ apt-cache policy cmucl
cmucl:
  Installed: 19a-release-20040728-9
  Candidate: 19a-release-20040728-9
  Version table:
 *** 19a-release-20040728-9 0
        500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com feisty/universe Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

Here is my ~/.xemacs/init.el
;(setq load-path
;            (append '("path_to_moz-jssh.el")
;                                 load-path))
;(require 'moz-jssh)

;(add-to-list 'load-path "~/bin/slime/")  ; your SLIME directory
;(setq inferior-lisp-program "/usr/bin/cmucl") ; your Lisp system
;(require 'slime)
;(slime-setup)

(add-to-list 'load-path "~/bin/slime")
(require 'slime)
(add-hook 'lisp-mode-hook (lambda () (slime-mode t)))
(add-hook 'inferior-lisp-mode-hook (lambda () (inferior-slime-mode
t)))
;; Optionally, specify the lisp program you are using. Default is
"lisp"
(setq inferior-lisp-program "lisp")

~/bin/slime is the latest slime from CVS.

Does any of this shed more light on the problem?

Thanks!
Erik
From: Drew Crampsie
erikcw wrote:
> On Apr 27, 6:29 am, Holger Schauer <··············@gmx.de> wrote:
>> On 4984 September 1993, erikcw wrote:
>>
>>> I'm trying to get slime up and running under Xemacs and cmucl.
[snip]
> Here is the output from apt:
> $ apt-cache policy slime
> slime:
>   Installed: 1:20061201-2
>   Candidate: 1:20061201-2
>   Version table:
>  *** 1:20061201-2 0
>         500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com feisty/multiverse Packages
>         100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
[snip]

> Here is my ~/.xemacs/init.el
>
> (add-to-list 'load-path "~/bin/slime")
> (require 'slime)

[snip]

> ~/bin/slime is the latest slime from CVS.

The problem here is that the slime you've installed in ~bin/slime and
the slime installed by apt (and therefore picked up by *grumble*
common-lisp-controller) are different versions, so your slime.el and
swank.lisp can't talk to each other.

The best idea is to _never_ use debian's (or ubuntu's) packages for your
lisp world. If you insist on using apt-get, remove all traces of the
apt- installed slime and try the CVS slime (or vice versa, as you'd
think the packaged slime would work with the packaged CMUCL).

What you really want to do, IMO, is download the latest SBCL tarball,
the latest slime, and install them both independently of apt-get. If you
 have a real reason for using CMU, than install it from tarball as well :).

I _love_ apt-get, and i use it for a lot, but i prefer to manage my lisp
packages "by hand".

drewc

> erikcw wrote:

> [snip]
> > Here is the output from apt:
> > $ apt-cache policy slime
> > slime:
> >   Installed: 1:20061201-2
> >   Candidate: 1:20061201-2
> >   Version table:
> >  *** 1:20061201-2 0
> >         500http://us.archive.ubuntu.comfeisty/multiverse Packages
> >         100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
>
> [snip]
>
> > Here is my ~/.xemacs/init.el
>
> > (add-to-list 'load-path "~/bin/slime")
> > (require 'slime)
>
> [snip]
>
> > ~/bin/slime is the latest slime from CVS.
>
> The problem here is that the slime you've installed in ~bin/slime and
> the slime installed by apt (and therefore picked up by *grumble*
> common-lisp-controller) are different versions, so your slime.el and
> swank.lisp can't talk to each other.
>
> The best idea is to _never_ use debian's (or ubuntu's) packages for your
> lisp world. If you insist on using apt-get, remove all traces of the
> apt- installed slime and try the CVS slime (or vice versa, as you'd
> think the packaged slime would work with the packaged CMUCL).
>
> What you really want to do, IMO, is download the latest SBCL tarball,
> the latest slime, and install them both independently of apt-get. If you
>  have a real reason for using CMU, than install it from tarball as well :).
>
> I _love_ apt-get, and i use it for a lot, but i prefer to manage my lisp
> packages "by hand".
>
> drewc

Hi Drew,

I've SLIME and CMUCL from my machine using apt.  I then reinstalled
them by hand from the tarballs.

I'm getting this error now:
(load "/usr/share/common-lisp/source/slime/swank-loader.lisp" :verbose
t)
(swank:start-server "/tmp/erik/slime.6372" :external-format :iso-
latin-1-unix)

This is SBCL 1.0.3, an implementation of ANSI Common Lisp.
More information about SBCL is available at <http://www.sbcl.org/>.

SBCL is free software, provided as is, with absolutely no warranty.
It is mostly in the public domain; some portions are provided under
BSD-style licenses.  See the CREDITS and COPYING files in the
distribution for more information.
*
debugger invoked on a SB-INT:SIMPLE-FILE-ERROR in thread #<THREAD
"initial thread" {A74D681}>:
  "/usr/share/common-lisp/source/slime/swank-loader.lisp" does not
exist.

Type HELP for debugger help, or (SB-EXT:QUIT) to exit from SBCL.

restarts (invokable by number or by possibly-abbreviated name):
  0: [ABORT] Exit debugger, returning to top level.

(SB-FASL::INTERNAL-LOAD
 #P"/usr/share/common-lisp/source/slime/swank-loader.lisp"
 NIL
 :ERROR
 NIL
 NIL
 :DEFAULT)
0]

Should I also install xemacs from a tarball?  Apt installed version
21.4.19.  Or is there a configuration file somewhere (*grumble*) that
is causing problems?

Thanks so much for your help!

Erik
From: Holger Schauer
On 4987 September 1993, erikcw wrote:
> I'm getting this error now: [...]
> debugger invoked on a SB-INT:SIMPLE-FILE-ERROR in thread #<THREAD
> "initial thread" {A74D681}>:
>   "/usr/share/common-lisp/source/slime/swank-loader.lisp" does not
> exist.

> Should I also install xemacs from a tarball?

No, that's not an (X)Emacs problem you're having; as Drew explained
you're still experiencing trouble because you're having traces of your
Debian based lisp installation around that interfere with your local
installation. Try removing (via apt-get) common-lisp-controller, this
should remove the last bits of your Debian lisp packages.

Holger

From: Holger Schauer
On 4986 September 1993, Drew Crampsie wrote:
> The best idea is to _never_ use debian's (or ubuntu's) packages for your
> lisp world. [...]

I use the packages from Peter van Eyndes repository on both my Debian
and my Ubuntu box for quite some time now. I had my own share of
problems, but they were not related to slime, sbcl or cmucl. As I've
written elsewhere, the major problem is not the packages provided by
Debian/Ubuntu but interaction with local bleeding edge installations.

Holger