From: Ken Tilton
Subject: Nooby format Q
This is not for homework. I coulda swore I sae some format trick that
let one do a (format t "~{~a ~}" things) without getting a space after
the last one. Somthing conditional in re whether more stuff remained.

Am I hallucinating? was it just "~a~{ ~a~}" (car x)(cdr x)?

kt

--
http://www.theoryyalgebra.com/

"Algebra is the metaphysics of arithmetic." - John Ray

"As long as algebra is taught in school,
there will be prayer in school." - Cokie Roberts

"Stand firm in your refusal to remain conscious during algebra."
    - Fran Lebowitz

"I'm an algebra liar. I figure two good lies make a positive."
    - Tim Allen

From: Harold Lee
Subject: Re: Nooby format Q
On Apr 20, 11:26 am, Ken Tilton <····@theoryyalgebra.com> wrote:
> This is not for homework. I coulda swore I sae some format trick that
> let one do a (format t "~{~a ~}" things) without getting a space after
> the last one. Somthing conditional in re whether more stuff remained.

Try here:

http://www.gigamonkeys.com/book/a-few-format-recipes.html

e.g.

[5]> (format t "~{~a~^, ~}-" (list 1 2 3))
1, 2, 3-
NIL
[6]>
From: Ken Tilton
Harold Lee wrote:
> On Apr 20, 11:26 am, Ken Tilton <····@theoryyalgebra.com> wrote:
>
>>This is not for homework. I coulda swore I sae some format trick that
>>let one do a (format t "~{~a ~}" things) without getting a space after
>>the last one. Somthing conditional in re whether more stuff remained.
>

> Try here:
>
> http://www.gigamonkeys.com/book/a-few-format-recipes.html
>
> e.g.
>
> [5]> (format t "~{~a~^, ~}-" (list 1 2 3))

Ah, thanks, I got to the phrase "escape upwards" and ruled it out, tho
in hindsight it is not a bad name.

kt

From: D Herring
Ken Tilton wrote:
> This is not for homework. I coulda swore I sae some format trick that
> let one do a (format t "~{~a ~}" things) without getting a space after
> the last one. Somthing conditional in re whether more stuff remained.
>
> Am I hallucinating? was it just "~a~{ ~a~}" (car x)(cdr x)?

Harold already answered your question; the following page illustrates a
few other useful techniques.
http://cybertiggyr.com/gene/fmt/

- Daniel