From: Mark Tarver
Subject: two questions on Allegro
Hi,

This post is specifically for people who use Allegro.

Q 1. How do I disable compiler warning messages from Allegro?  E.g.

Warning: Free reference to undeclared variable ......         assumed
special.
Warning: Variable FP2 is never used.

Is there a switch?

Q 2.  Saving an image.  Using (EXCL:DUMPLISP :NAME <filename>) I build
a file <filename>.  I take it this is a core.  But I cannot run it
directly on Windows by clicking on it.  How do I run this image?

thanks

Mark

From: Ken Tilton
Subject: Re: two questions on Allegro
Mark Tarver wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This post is specifically for people who use Allegro.
>
> Q 1. How do I disable compiler warning messages from Allegro?  E.g.
>
> Warning: Free reference to undeclared variable ......         assumed
> special.
> Warning: Variable FP2 is never used.
>
> Is there a switch?
>
> Q 2.  Saving an image.  Using (EXCL:DUMPLISP :NAME <filename>) I build
> a file <filename>.  I take it this is a core.  But I cannot run it
> directly on Windows by clicking on it.  How do I run this image?

Puzzled. The Allegro doc on dumplisp seems decent. Did you not look at
that? This is just a part of it:

> dumplisp
> Arguments: &key name ignore-command-line-arguments suppress-allegro-cl-banner
>
> This function saves an image of the currently executing Common Lisp as an image file. This file (which usually has extension .dxl) is not executable, but is suitable as the image argument to the executable files such as mlisp or mlisp8 on Unix machines or mlisp.exe or mlisp8.exe on Windows (and alisp[.exe] or alisp8[.exe]). You can specify the name of the image file created with the name keyword argument. The name defaults to savedcl.dxl. Thus, calling in Lisp
>
> (dumplisp)
>
> will produce an image file savedcl.dxl.This image can be started with the command line (use whichever of m/alisp or m/alisp8 was used to start the image that was dumped):
>
> UNIX 16-bit: mlisp -I <directory containing savedcl.dxl>/savedcl.dxl
> UNIX 8-bit: mlisp8 -I <directory containing savedcl.dxl>/savedcl.dxl
>
> WINDOWS 16-bit: mlisp.exe -I <directory containing savedcl.dxl>/savedcl.dxl
> WINDOWS 8bit: mlisp8.exe -I <directory containing savedcl.dxl>/savedcl.dxl
>
> On Windows, .dxl is usually registered as an Allegro CL image file extension, so double-clicking on it in the File Explorer should also start Allegro CL with that image. Note too on Windows that if the image contains the IDE, then adding -f cg:start-ide to the command line will cause the IDE to be started automatically when the image starts.

I think something inscrutable like "Folder Properties" would be where
the .dxl is identified as being an ACL thing, but... I have never messed
with that. Then again, I have never double-clicked a dxl, just a rare
experiment with building an executable, which I gather uses
generate-application.

kt

--
http://www.theoryyalgebra.com/

"Algebra is the metaphysics of arithmetic." - John Ray

"As long as algebra is taught in school,
there will be prayer in school." - Cokie Roberts

"Stand firm in your refusal to remain conscious during algebra."
    - Fran Lebowitz

"I'm an algebra liar. I figure two good lies make a positive."
    - Tim Allen
From: Mark Tarver
On 15 Apr, 10:36, Ken Tilton <····@theoryyalgebra.com> wrote:
> Mark Tarver wrote:
> > Hi,
>
> > This post is specifically for people who use Allegro.
>
> > Q 1. How do I disable compiler warning messages from Allegro?  E.g.
>
> > Warning: Free reference to undeclared variable ......         assumed
> > special.
> > Warning: Variable FP2 is never used.
>
> > Is there a switch?
>
> > Q 2.  Saving an image.  Using (EXCL:DUMPLISP :NAME <filename>) I build
> > a file <filename>.  I take it this is a core.  But I cannot run it
> > directly on Windows by clicking on it.  How do I run this image?
>
> Puzzled. The Allegro doc on dumplisp seems decent. Did you not look at
> that? This is just a part of it:
>

> > dumplisp
> > Arguments: &key name ignore-command-line-arguments suppress-allegro-cl-banner
>
> > This function saves an image of the currently executing Common Lisp as an image file. This file (which usually has extension .dxl) is not executable, but is suitable as the image argument to the executable files such as mlisp or mlisp8 on Unix machines or mlisp.exe or mlisp8.exe on Windows (and alisp[.exe] or alisp8[.exe]). You can specify the name of the image file created with the name keyword argument. The name defaults to savedcl.dxl. Thus, calling in Lisp
>
> > (dumplisp)
>
> > will produce an image file savedcl.dxl.This image can be started with the command line (use whichever of m/alisp or m/alisp8 was used to start the image that was dumped):
>
> > UNIX 16-bit: mlisp -I <directory containing savedcl.dxl>/savedcl.dxl
> > UNIX 8-bit: mlisp8 -I <directory containing savedcl.dxl>/savedcl.dxl
>
> > WINDOWS 16-bit: mlisp.exe -I <directory containing savedcl.dxl>/savedcl.dxl
> > WINDOWS 8bit: mlisp8.exe -I <directory containing savedcl.dxl>/savedcl.dxl
>
> > On Windows, .dxl is usually registered as an Allegro CL image file extension, so double-clicking on it in the File Explorer should also start Allegro CL with that image. Note too on Windows that if the image contains the IDE, then adding -f cg:start-ide to the command line will cause the IDE to be started automatically when the image starts.
>
> I think something inscrutable like "Folder Properties" would be where
> the .dxl is identified as being an ACL thing, but... I have never messed
> with that. Then again, I have never double-clicked a dxl, just a rare
> experiment with building an executable, which I gather uses
> generate-application.
>
> kt
>
> --http://www.theoryyalgebra.com/
>
> "Algebra is the metaphysics of arithmetic." - John Ray
>
> "As long as algebra is taught in school,
> there will be prayer in school." - Cokie Roberts
>
> "Stand firm in your refusal to remain conscious during algebra."
>     - Fran Lebowitz
>
> "I'm an algebra liar. I figure two good lies make a positive."
>     - Tim Allen- Hide quoted text -

Right;  thanks for that :).  I got

Looking for valid Windows license file, but found invalid license file
devel.lic
Lisp cannot start up.

I recall I got this before so I must have at one point followed your
suggestion.

Is this response a function of my inadequate license - or have I
missed something?

Mark
From: Ken Tilton
Mark Tarver wrote:
> [...]
>>experiment with building an executable, which I gather uses
>>generate-application.
>>
>>kt
>>
>>--http://www.theoryyalgebra.com/
>>
>>"Algebra is the metaphysics of arithmetic." - John Ray
>>
>>"As long as algebra is taught in school,
>>there will be prayer in school." - Cokie Roberts
>>
>>"Stand firm in your refusal to remain conscious during algebra."
>>    - Fran Lebowitz
>>
>>"I'm an algebra liar. I figure two good lies make a positive."
>>    - Tim Allen- Hide quoted text -

> Right;  thanks for that :).  I got
>
> Looking for valid Windows license file, but found invalid license file
> devel.lic
> Lisp cannot start up.
>
> I recall I got this before so I must have at one point followed your
> suggestion.
>
> Is this response a function of my inadequate license - or have I

I have an inadequate license but was able to build an executable just to
see if it would work, but I used the IDE "Build Project EXE". So... who
knows? Did you save the dumped image into a different directory? Did you
copy devel.lic there? Why are you not using the IDE options? Not using
the Project Manager? Use it, beats ASDF by a mile.

kt

From: Mark Tarver
> I have an inadequate license but was able to build an executable just to
> see if it would work, but I used the IDE "Build Project EXE". So... who
> knows? Did you save the dumped image into a different directory? Did you
> copy devel.lic there? Why are you not using the IDE options? Not using
> the Project Manager? Use it, beats ASDF by a mile.

The license has been copied to the home directory.  Yes, it can see my
license
and does not like it - so it seems.

I don't use Allegro enough to want to invest effort in the IDE
options.  It would take me
too far from what I am trying to do to justify the time involved.  I
just want to be able
to save and run an image.  I'll give the IDE 30 minutes - no more -
for this task.  But
really you shouldn't have to delve into an IDE to do what I want here.

Mark

Mark
From: ········@gmail.com
On Apr 15, 3:33 am, "Mark Tarver" <··········@ukonline.co.uk> wrote:
> > I have an inadequate license but was able to build an executable just to
> > see if it would work, but I used the IDE "Build Project EXE". So... who
> > knows? Did you save the dumped image into a different directory? Did you
> > copy devel.lic there? Why are you not using the IDE options? Not using
> > the Project Manager? Use it, beats ASDF by a mile.
>
> The license has been copied to the home directory.  Yes, it can see my
> license
> and does not like it - so it seems.
>
> I don't use Allegro enough to want to invest effort in the IDE
> options.  It would take me
> too far from what I am trying to do to justify the time involved.  I
> just want to be able
> to save and run an image.  I'll give the IDE 30 minutes - no more -
> for this task.  But
> really you shouldn't have to delve into an IDE to do what I want here.

The file created by excl:dumplisp isn't actually an executable. Those
are built with excl:generate-executable. images are meant to be
supplied to the real executable as an `image' argument

verify that you can successfully launch ACL from cmd

alisp
alisp8

(I'm guessing you're not using mlisp)

then try this from the command line to try to load the image
conventionally

alisp -I <filename>
alisp -I <filename>

this should help narrow down the problem...

I have this in my .emacs file:

(defmacro defslime-start (name lisp)
  `(defun ,name ()
     (interactive)
     (setq inferior-lisp-program ,lisp)
     (slime)))

(defslime-start acl "/path/to/acl/mlisp")
(defslime-start acli (concat "/path/to/acl/mlisp -I "
			     (read-from-minibuffer "image file: ")))

and it works fine for me. but judging from the fact that you didn't
think to email Franz first, you probubly have the trial version, so I
don't know what the license restrictions you have... the fact that
Windows trying to launch lisp when you double click on it means
Windows must reckognize .dxl files as Allegro CL image files... I
really dunno...

hth

Nick
From: Mark Tarver
On 15 Apr, 19:27, ········@gmail.com wrote:
> On Apr 15, 3:33 am, "Mark Tarver" <··········@ukonline.co.uk> wrote:
>

> > > I have an inadequate license but was able to build an executable just to
> > > see if it would work, but I used the IDE "Build Project EXE". So... who
> > > knows? Did you save the dumped image into a different directory? Did you
> > > copy devel.lic there? Why are you not using the IDE options? Not using
> > > the Project Manager? Use it, beats ASDF by a mile.
>
> > The license has been copied to the home directory.  Yes, it can see my
> > license
> > and does not like it - so it seems.
>
> > I don't use Allegro enough to want to invest effort in the IDE
> > options.  It would take me
> > too far from what I am trying to do to justify the time involved.  I
> > just want to be able
> > to save and run an image.  I'll give the IDE 30 minutes - no more -
> > for this task.  But
> > really you shouldn't have to delve into an IDE to do what I want here.
>
> The file created by excl:dumplisp isn't actually an executable. Those
> are built with excl:generate-executable. images are meant to be
> supplied to the real executable as an `image' argument
>
> verify that you can successfully launch ACL from cmd
>
> alisp
> alisp8
>
> (I'm guessing you're not using mlisp)
>
> then try this from the command line to try to load the image
> conventionally
>
> alisp -I <filename>
> alisp -I <filename>
>
> this should help narrow down the problem...
>
> I have this in my .emacs file:
>
> (defmacro defslime-start (name lisp)
>   `(defun ,name ()
>      (interactive)
>      (setq inferior-lisp-program ,lisp)
>      (slime)))
>
> (defslime-start acl "/path/to/acl/mlisp")
> (defslime-start acli (concat "/path/to/acl/mlisp -I "
>                              (read-from-minibuffer "image file: ")))
>
> and it works fine for me. but judging from the fact that you didn't
> think to email Franz first, you probubly have the trial version, so I
> don't know what the license restrictions you have... the fact that
> Windows trying to launch lisp when you double click on it means
> Windows must reckognize .dxl files as Allegro CL image files... I
> really dunno...
>
> hth
>
> Nick- Hide quoted text -

Thanks - that's sound advice.  I was on Yahoo messenger to Carl
Shapiro on this one and we did, in fact, go through the acl -I routine
which I placed in a batch file.  Yes, the alisp works but what the
heck - alisp.exe -I "Qi_version 7.3.dxl" produces this
"Looking for a valid Windows file ..." message.  And its not because
the license is not in the directory.  It seems to find it and not like
it.

So I mailed the files to Carl and he tried it and got the same thing
and it failed for him and we're both stumped.  This is really the
rub.  The compiler messages  I can sort by changing the code generator
to scan for unused variables etc.  But the saved image problem I can't
sort as of now.

Mark
From: ········@gmail.com
On Apr 15, 3:35 pm, "Mark Tarver" <··········@ukonline.co.uk> wrote:

> > > The license has been copied to the home directory.  Yes, it can see my
> > > license
> > > and does not like it - so it seems.
>
> > > I don't use Allegro enough to want to invest effort in the IDE
> > > options.  It would take me
> > > too far from what I am trying to do to justify the time involved.  I
> > > just want to be able
> > > to save and run an image.  I'll give the IDE 30 minutes - no more -
> > > for this task.  But
> > > really you shouldn't have to delve into an IDE to do what I want here.
>
> > The file created by excl:dumplisp isn't actually an executable. Those
> > are built with excl:generate-executable. images are meant to be
> > supplied to the real executable as an `image' argument
>
> > verify that you can successfully launch ACL from cmd
>
> > alisp
> > alisp8
>
> > (I'm guessing you're not using mlisp)
>
> > then try this from the command line to try to load the image
> > conventionally
>
> > alisp -I <filename>
> > alisp -I <filename>
>
> > this should help narrow down the problem...
>
> > I have this in my .emacs file:
>
> > (defmacro defslime-start (name lisp)
> >   `(defun ,name ()
> >      (interactive)
> >      (setq inferior-lisp-program ,lisp)
> >      (slime)))
>
> > (defslime-start acl "/path/to/acl/mlisp")
> > (defslime-start acli (concat "/path/to/acl/mlisp -I "
> >                              (read-from-minibuffer "image file: ")))
>
> > and it works fine for me. but judging from the fact that you didn't
> > think to email Franz first, you probubly have the trial version, so I
> > don't know what the license restrictions you have... the fact that
> > Windows trying to launch lisp when you double click on it means
> > Windows must reckognize .dxl files as Allegro CL image files... I
> > really dunno...
>
> > hth
>
> > Nick- Hide quoted text -

> Thanks - that's sound advice.  I was on Yahoo messenger to Carl
> Shapiro on this one and we did, in fact, go through the acl -I routine
> which I placed in a batch file.  Yes, the alisp works but what the
> heck - alisp.exe -I "Qi_version 7.3.dxl" produces this
> "Looking for a valid Windows file ..." message.  And its not because
> the license is not in the directory.  It seems to find it and not like
> it.
>
> So I mailed the files to Carl and he tried it and got the same thing
> and it failed for him and we're both stumped.  This is really the
> rub.  The compiler messages  I can sort by changing the code generator
> to scan for unused variables etc.  But the saved image problem I can't
> sort as of now.

hrm... what happens if you start a fresh lisp, dump the image, and try
to load it? if that works can you try building and dumping the Qi
image source file by source file to find the point where it breaks?

take care

Nick
From: Mark Tarver
On 16 Apr, 00:41, ········@gmail.com wrote:
> On Apr 15, 3:35 pm, "Mark Tarver" <··········@ukonline.co.uk> wrote:

> > > The file created by excl:dumplisp isn't actually an executable. Those
> > > are built with excl:generate-executable. images are meant to be
> > > supplied to the real executable as an `image' argument
>
> > > verify that you can successfully launch ACL from cmd
>
> > > alisp
> > > alisp8
>
> > > (I'm guessing you're not using mlisp)
>
> > > then try this from the command line to try to load the image
> > > conventionally
>
> > > alisp -I <filename>
> > > alisp -I <filename>
>
> > > this should help narrow down the problem...
>
> > > I have this in my .emacs file:
>
> > > (defmacro defslime-start (name lisp)
> > >   `(defun ,name ()
> > >      (interactive)
> > >      (setq inferior-lisp-program ,lisp)
> > >      (slime)))
>
> > > (defslime-start acl "/path/to/acl/mlisp")
> > > (defslime-start acli (concat "/path/to/acl/mlisp -I "
> > >                              (read-from-minibuffer "image file: ")))
>
> > > and it works fine for me. but judging from the fact that you didn't
> > > think to email Franz first, you probubly have the trial version, so I
> > > don't know what the license restrictions you have... the fact that
> > > Windows trying to launch lisp when you double click on it means
> > > Windows must reckognize .dxl files as Allegro CL image files... I
> > > really dunno...
>
> > > hth
>
> > > Nick- Hide quoted text -

> > Thanks - that's sound advice.  I was on Yahoo messenger to Carl
> > Shapiro on this one and we did, in fact, go through the acl -I routine
> > which I placed in a batch file.  Yes, the alisp works but what the
> > heck - alisp.exe -I "Qi_version 7.3.dxl" produces this
> > "Looking for a valid Windows file ..." message.  And its not because
> > the license is not in the directory.  It seems to find it and not like
> > it.
>
> > So I mailed the files to Carl and he tried it and got the same thing
> > and it failed for him and we're both stumped.  This is really the
> > rub.  The compiler messages  I can sort by changing the code generator
> > to scan for unused variables etc.  But the saved image problem I can't
> > sort as of now.
>
> hrm... what happens if you start a fresh lisp, dump the image, and try
> to load it? if that works can you try building and dumping the Qi
> image source file by source file to find the point where it breaks?
>
> take care
>
> Nick- Hide quoted text -

Progress.

That was a really good suggestion - hence the stars.  Yes indeed
it does work without Qi.  So I guees its my use of the DUMPLISP
command.  I don't think its a Qi problem at all.

What I found is that (DUMPLISP :NAME <filename>) works but that
my use does not.  My version is at the moment

   (SETQ EXCL:*RESTART-INIT-FUNCTION* 'qi::qi)
   (EXCL:DUMPLISP :NAME (FORMAT NIL "~A_~A.dxl" 'Qi *version*) NIL T)

I'd guess that its the NIL T at the end that is the bother.  The T at
the end is designed to stop the Allegro banner being printed.  The NIL
is supposed to be the default value of ignore-command-line-arguments

(See http://www.franz.com/support/documentation/8.0/doc/operators/excl/dumplisp.htm)

The doc does not make clear to me that :NAME is a required keyword,
as seems to be the case.  Maybe there are other keywords.

First Fix

Dropping the T from the end gives

Error: &key list isn't even.

*So it looks as if these extra options do require keywords!* Odd that
the original should run at all! But the page does not seem to say what
these keywords are.

Second Fix

I'm guessing the keywords are hinted in the table of that page as

:IGNORE-COMMAND-LINE-ARGUMENTS
:SUPPRESS-ALLEGRO-CL-BANNER

If so its really not so clear!  Could do with a few examples like in
the Hyperspec.

Try

(EXCL:DUMPLISP :NAME (FORMAT NIL "~A_~A.dxl" 'Qi *version*)
               :SUPPRESS-ALLEGRO-CL-BANNER T)

Ok, it saves. But the same message - you don't have a valid license.

Maybe the whole problem is that Franz don't allow you to drop their
banner unless you have a certain license.

BTW I got given this by Franz in the hope of my making the port.  The
startup banner reads.

International Allegro CL Enterprise Edition
7.0 [Windows] (Oct 20, 2004 22:05)
Copyright (C) 1985-2004, Franz Inc., Oakland, CA, USA.  All Rights
Reserved.

This development copy of Allegro CL is licensed to:
[TC10821] Mark Tarver - Personal Use

Third Fix

Keep it simple

(EXCL:DUMPLISP :NAME (FORMAT NIL "~A_~A.dxl" 'Qi *version*))

You don't have a valid license .... (sigh).

Fourth Fix

Try saving a virgin image with one function

(DEFUN toodle-pip () 'hooray)

It saves - :(??

Fifth Fix

OK, it won't save Qi for some strange reason even though the Qi test
suite runs fine.  Ergo something in 6500 lines of Lisp upsets it.
What?   A stab in the dark.  Remove

(SETQ EXCL:*RESTART-INIT-FUNCTION* 'qi::qi)

You don't have a valid license .......

This is looking more like a report-back-to-base problem.

Mark
From: Ken Tilton
> First Fix
>
> Dropping the T from the end gives
>
> Error: &key list isn't even.
>
> *So it looks as if these extra options do require keywords!*

I am excited to have found someone worse than I at reading documentation:

 > dumplisp
 > Arguments: &key name ignore-command-line-arguments
suppress-allegro-cl-banner

I would give you the URL but you already cited it.

> Odd that
> the original should run at all!

The IDE indicates that the signature is actually "&rest keys &key name".
Does slime offer anything similar (guessing you are using that). As long
as the list is even, yer good to go unless the receiving function
complains, and this one apparently does not.

> But the page does not seem to say what
> these keywords are.

> BTW I got given this by Franz in the hope of my making the port.

Then I am astonished you are not using ·······@franz.com, though I
suppose a noob might not be aware of the excellence of that resource.

kt

From: Mark Tarver
> if that works can you try building and dumping the Qi
> image source file by source file to find the point where it breaks?

Thats harder.  There is only one source file.  Anybody's
guess what the part giving the problems is.  I'd have
to set up a debugging program to load a function, save
an image; load a bit more and save an image etc.  I'll
do that if there's no other recourse.  I'll mail Franz
and ask them if there is any reason for this 'you don't
have a valid license ...' message.  Could save me a lot
of work.

Mark
From: John Thingstad
On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 11:53:33 +0200, Mark Tarver
<··········@ukonline.co.uk> wrote:

> Right;  thanks for that :).  I got
>
> Looking for valid Windows license file, but found invalid license file
> devel.lic
> Lisp cannot start up.
>
> I recall I got this before so I must have at one point followed your
> suggestion.
>
> Is this response a function of my inadequate license - or have I
> missed something?
>
> Mark

Simple. The licence file is in their Program Files directory with the
allegro executable.
Your image isn't. Clicking the image file causes windows to use the
current directory
as default. Thus ACL can't find the licence.

1. copy the licence file to the same directory as the image
2. copy the image to the ACL Program files directory
3. create a windows shortcut ot ACL
    right click and select properties
    change program to include load image and the full path to that image

I prefer 3

From: Mark Tarver
On 15 Apr, 12:39, "John Thingstad" <··············@chello.no> wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 11:53:33 +0200, Mark Tarver
>

> <··········@ukonline.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > Right;  thanks for that :).  I got
>
> > Looking for valid Windows license file, but found invalid license file
> > devel.lic
> > Lisp cannot start up.
>
> > I recall I got this before so I must have at one point followed your
> > suggestion.
>
> > Is this response a function of my inadequate license - or have I
> > missed something?
>
> > Mark
>
> Simple. The licence file is in their Program Files directory with the
> allegro executable.
> Your image isn't. Clicking the image file causes windows to use the
> current directory
> as default. Thus ACL can't find the licence.

> 1. copy the licence file to the same directory as the image
> 2. copy the image to the ACL Program files directory
> 3. create a windows shortcut ot ACL
>     right click and select properties
>     change program to include load image and the full path to that image
>
> I prefer 3
>
> --
> Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client:http://www.opera.com/mail/- Hide quoted text -

1. copy the licence file to the same directory as the image
2. copy the image to the ACL Program files directory

Neither work - get 'You don't have a valid license etc'.

Mark
From: John Thingstad
On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 14:43:11 +0200, Mark Tarver
<··········@ukonline.co.uk> wrote:

>> I prefer 3

Tried that? This is not Lisp strictly windows.
So if you have problems use my email.

From: Rainer Joswig
In article <·······················@e65g2000hsc.googlegroups.com>,
 "Mark Tarver" <··········@ukonline.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This post is specifically for people who use Allegro.
>
> Q 1. How do I disable compiler warning messages from Allegro?  E.g.
>
> Warning: Free reference to undeclared variable ......         assumed
> special.
> Warning: Variable FP2 is never used.

Common Lisp has the variables *COMPILE-PRINT* and *COMPILE-VERBOSE*.
There are corresponding keyword options to COMPILE-FILE named
 :PRINT and :VERBOSE.

Did you try those?

--
http://lispm.dyndns.org
From: Mark Tarver
On 15 Apr, 10:24, Rainer Joswig <······@lisp.de> wrote:
> In article <·······················@e65g2000hsc.googlegroups.com>,
>  "Mark Tarver" <··········@ukonline.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
>
> > This post is specifically for people who use Allegro.
>
> > Q 1. How do I disable compiler warning messages from Allegro?  E.g.
>
> > Warning: Free reference to undeclared variable ......         assumed
> > special.
> > Warning: Variable FP2 is never used.
>
> Common Lisp has the variables *COMPILE-PRINT* and *COMPILE-VERBOSE*.
> There are corresponding keyword options to COMPILE-FILE named
>  :PRINT and :VERBOSE.
>
> Did you try those?

Yes; I set *COMPILE-VERBOSE* to NIL and *COMPILE-PRINT* is already set
NIL.  However the warnings still continue.

Mark
From: Wade Humeniuk
Mark Tarver wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This post is specifically for people who use Allegro.
>
> Q 1. How do I disable compiler warning messages from Allegro?  E.g.
>
> Warning: Free reference to undeclared variable ......         assumed
> special.
> Warning: Variable FP2 is never used.
>
> Is there a switch?

Yes there is.  Modify your source code so that it does not compile
with warnings.  Personally I find warnings very useful, after all, they
are called WARNINGS, meaning you might not know what the hell you are
doing.

Wade

From: Mark Tarver
> Yes there is.  Modify your source code so that it does not compile
> with warnings.  Personally I find warnings very useful, after all, they
> are called WARNINGS, meaning you might not know what the hell you are
> doing.
>
> Wade

Thankyou (not) for that wisdom and the manner in which it is
delivered.   It is always reassuring to find that the internet
can always produce posts which combine unhelpfulness and rudeness
in equal proportion like yours.  I wonder why you bothered.  Don't
strain yourself again.  I certainly won't.

Mark
From: Espen Vestre
"Mark Tarver" <··········@ukonline.co.uk> writes:

> Thankyou (not) for that wisdom and the manner in which it is
> delivered.

Why so hostile? The warning messages you quoted /should/ be dealt with
and not just ignored.
--
  (espen)
From: Mark Tarver
On 15 Apr, 20:02, Espen Vestre <····@vestre.net> wrote:
> "Mark Tarver" <··········@ukonline.co.uk> writes:
> > Thankyou (not) for that wisdom and the manner in which it is
> > delivered.
>
> Why so hostile? The warning messages you quoted /should/ be dealt with
> and not just ignored.
> --
>   (espen)

Generally yes.  In *this* case there are reasons for not taking them
seriously and they are simply an annoyance.  So I'm looking for the
*simplest* solution.  If it does not exist then I'll take the longer
route of placating the compiler which will use up time I do not have.
I really don't want to get into a long thread on this issue of why I
don't take the warnings seriously.

Mr Humeniuk seems to have no solution to either of the questions I
posed and the advice he does offer is not novel, not useful to me and
unfortunately phrased and he probably knows it.  Hence I was direct
with him.   Thats as much as I want to say on this matter.

Mark
From: Matthias Benkard
Hi,

> Generally yes.  In *this* case there are reasons for not taking them
> seriously and they are simply an annoyance.  So I'm looking for the
> *simplest* solution.

Well, the simplest solution is to ignore the warnings, as in, you
know, just not giving any attention to them.  Right?

Oh, speaking of ignoring stuff, you can tell the compiler to shut up
about unused variables (which really _is_ annoying and useless at
times) by declaring the variable IGNORABLE or to be IGNOREd, like
this:

 (mapcar #'(lambda (x)
             (declare (ignore x))
             100)
         '(1 2 3 4 5 6))

Telling the compiler to IGNORE the variables is usually the right
thing to do in hand-written (or, as is usually the case, yet to be
written) code.  Making them IGNORABLE, on the other hand, is often
useful in code generated by macros.

Bye-bye,
Matthias
From: Mark Tarver
On 15 Apr, 21:32, "Matthias Benkard" <··········@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > Generally yes.  In *this* case there are reasons for not taking them
> > seriously and they are simply an annoyance.  So I'm looking for the
> > *simplest* solution.
>
> Well, the simplest solution is to ignore the warnings, as in, you
> know, just not giving any attention to them.  Right?
>
> Oh, speaking of ignoring stuff, you can tell the compiler to shut up
> about unused variables (which really _is_ annoying and useless at
> times) by declaring the variable IGNORABLE or to be IGNOREd, like
> this:
>
>  (mapcar #'(lambda (x)
>              (declare (ignore x))
>              100)
>          '(1 2 3 4 5 6))
>
> Telling the compiler to IGNORE the variables is usually the right
> thing to do in hand-written (or, as is usually the case, yet to be
> written) code.  Making them IGNORABLE, on the other hand, is often
> useful in code generated by macros.
>
> Bye-bye,
> Matthias

Well as far as I'm concerned, the compiler messages don't worry me
at all. But I'd rather users weren't bothered.  I know about IGNORE
but thanks for telling me anyway.

Mark
From: Ken Tilton
Mark Tarver wrote:
> On 15 Apr, 20:02, Espen Vestre <····@vestre.net> wrote:
>
>>"Mark Tarver" <··········@ukonline.co.uk> writes:
>>
>>>Thankyou (not) for that wisdom and the manner in which it is
>>>delivered.
>>
>>Why so hostile? The warning messages you quoted /should/ be dealt with
>>and not just ignored.
>>--
>>  (espen)
>

> Generally yes.  In *this* case there are reasons for not taking them
> seriously and they are simply an annoyance.  So I'm looking for the
> *simplest* solution.  If it does not exist then I'll take the longer
> route of placating the compiler which will use up time I do not have.
> I really don't want to get into a long thread on this issue of why I
> don't take the warnings seriously.
>
> Mr Humeniuk seems to have no solution to either of the questions I
> posed and the advice he does offer is not novel, not useful to me and
> unfortunately phrased and he probably knows it.  Hence I was direct
> with him.   Thats as much as I want to say on this matter.

What you forgot was that this is a public NG, in which replies to a post
might not be directed at the original poster. In this case, though the
language on the face of it addressed you query, to me it was clearly a
minor digression into a sermon on the blessings of code that does not
warn, a sermon which I almost gave myself, and one which I would have,
had I given it, understood not to be immediately reponsive to your
question, but which I would have offered anyway purely for the joy of
hearing the sound of my own voice.

hth,kzo

From: Mark Tarver
On 16 Apr, 01:10, Ken Tilton <····@theoryyalgebra.com> wrote:
> Mark Tarver wrote:

> >>Why so hostile? The warning messages you quoted /should/ be dealt with
> >>and not just ignored.
> >>--
> >>  (espen)
>
> > Generally yes.  In *this* case there are reasons for not taking them
> > seriously and they are simply an annoyance.  So I'm looking for the
> > *simplest* solution.  If it does not exist then I'll take the longer
> > route of placating the compiler which will use up time I do not have.
> > I really don't want to get into a long thread on this issue of why I
> > don't take the warnings seriously.
>
> > Mr Humeniuk seems to have no solution to either of the questions I
> > posed and the advice he does offer is not novel, not useful to me and
> > unfortunately phrased and he probably knows it.  Hence I was direct
> > with him.   Thats as much as I want to say on this matter.
>
> What you forgot was that this is a public NG, in which replies to a post
> might not be directed at the original poster. In this case, though the
> language on the face of it addressed you query, to me it was clearly a
> minor digression into a sermon on the blessings of code that does not
> warn, a sermon which I almost gave myself, and one which I would have,
> had I given it, understood not to be immediately reponsive to your
> question, but which I would have offered anyway purely for the joy of
> hearing the sound of my own voice.
>
> hth,kzo
>
> --http://www.theoryyalgebra.com/
>
> "Algebra is the metaphysics of arithmetic." - John Ray
>
> "As long as algebra is taught in school,
> there will be prayer in school." - Cokie Roberts
>
> "Stand firm in your refusal to remain conscious during algebra."
>     - Fran Lebowitz
>
> "I'm an algebra liar. I figure two good lies make a positive."
>     - Tim Allen- Hide quoted text -

*Nothing wrong with the suggestion in itself*, and, if there is no
switch available, thats what I will do.  Its actually the lesser of
the two problems.  I didn't object to the suggestion but rather the
manner of its delivery.  And since it contained the second person, its
difficult not to see it as darned rude.  I get flamed from time to
time like everybody does on Usenet (and btw it does not encourage
people to post queries).  Mostly I just let it go past me and treat it
as the inevitable price of getting valuable information (which is
sad). This time I did not.  Let it pass.  Its not worth spending time
on.

The CMU Python compiler in its most verbose produces reams and reams
of notes.  Its good, yes, but thankfully the creators give the option
of silence otherwise it would be like the mother-in-law from hell.
All that finger-waving would be a drag.

But I can silence (I think) the Allegro compiler.  However the image
problem is the real problem.

As usual 10% of the job takes 90% of the time.  Everything else is
fine.

Mark
From: Wade Humeniuk
Mark Tarver wrote:
>> Yes there is.  Modify your source code so that it does not compile
>> with warnings.  Personally I find warnings very useful, after all, they
>> are called WARNINGS, meaning you might not know what the hell you are
>> doing.
>>
>> Wade
>
> Thankyou (not) for that wisdom and the manner in which it is
> delivered.   It is always reassuring to find that the internet
> can always produce posts which combine unhelpfulness and rudeness
> in equal proportion like yours.  I wonder why you bothered.  Don't
> strain yourself again.  I certainly won't.

Well then do not thank me.  But when you come up with the solution
post it here and we can see which one it is.  I think you will probably
end up modifying your code as I do not see how you can sift through
which ones are pay-attention warnings and which ones you can safely ignore.

Anyways I guess I should apologize, I did not realize you were that
touchy and can take things personally.

Wade
From: Mark Tarver
On 16 Apr, 03:38, Wade Humeniuk <··················@telus.net> wrote:
> Mark Tarver wrote:
> >> Yes there is.  Modify your source code so that it does not compile
> >> with warnings.  Personally I find warnings very useful, after all, they
> >> are called WARNINGS, meaning you might not know what the hell you are
> >> doing.
>
> >> Wade
>
> > Thankyou (not) for that wisdom and the manner in which it is
> > delivered.   It is always reassuring to find that the internet
> > can always produce posts which combine unhelpfulness and rudeness
> > in equal proportion like yours.  I wonder why you bothered.  Don't
> > strain yourself again.  I certainly won't.
>
> Well then do not thank me.  But when you come up with the solution
> post it here and we can see which one it is.  I think you will probably
> end up modifying your code as I do not see how you can sift through
> which ones are pay-attention warnings and which ones you can safely ignore.
>
> Anyways I guess I should apologize, I did not realize you were that
> touchy and can take things personally.
>
> Wade

Well I'm not *that* touchy.  See the stuff I got chucked at me on
comp.lang.functional when Qi was announced.  I remember one guy took
me to task for defining the type of ordinal numbers by telling me that
it was immoral of me to be doing that :O! (I think this arose because
the guy was hacked off that he couldn't do it in ML/Haskell and felt
that this was because what I was doing was sinful.) Willi and I had a
good laugh over that one. Generally I just shrug it off.

Anyhow forget it.  Apology accepted. It was good advice even though I
had this move in my back pocket.  It was the second simplest move
after setting a switch and since the first doesn't seem to exist, its
risen to the top of the stack.  That's probably the course I'll take.

The bigger headache is why this saved image will not execute and why
this 'you do not have a valid license ...' business comes up when I
try to execute it.

Mark