From: Arne  Hanssen
Subject: CLISP/SLIME new user
Hi, I'm trying to learn Lisp on a Clisp/Slime setup.
Looking into the world of macros I try to input this macro to repl.

(defmacro Square (X)
   '(* ,X  ,X))

Getting this answer....

READ: comma is illegal outside of backquote
   [Condition of type SYSTEM::SIMPLE-READER-ERROR]

Restarts:
  0: [ABORT] Abort SLIME compilation.
  1: [ABORT] Return to sldb level 1.
  2: [ABORT] Abort SLIME compilation.
  3: [ABORT] Abort handling SLIME request.

Backtrace:
  0: frame binding variables (~ = dynamically):
  | ~ SYSTEM::*FASOUTPUT-STREAM* <--> #<OUTPUT BUFFERED FILE-STREAM
CHARACTER #P"/Users/arnehans/test.fas">
  1: EVAL frame for form (SWANK:COMPILE-FILE-FOR-EMACS
"/Users/arnehans/test.lisp" T)
  2: EVAL frame for form (SWANK:COMPILE-FILE-FOR-EMACS
"/Users/arnehans/test.lisp" T)
  3: EVAL frame for form (SWANK:START-SERVER "/tmp/slime.18994")
  4: EVAL frame for form (SWANK:START-SERVER "/tmp/slime.18994")

Leaving me clueless :-(

regards
-arne

From: ·······@gmail.com
Subject: Re: CLISP/SLIME new user
Arne Hanssen wrote:
> Hi, I'm trying to learn Lisp on a Clisp/Slime setup.
> Looking into the world of macros I try to input this macro to repl.
>
> (defmacro Square (X)
>    '(* ,X  ,X))
>
> Getting this answer....
>
> READ: comma is illegal outside of backquote
>    [Condition of type SYSTEM::SIMPLE-READER-ERROR]
You want quasiquote (backquote, `), not quote ('). Unquoting only makes
sense inside quasiquoted expressions.

Paul Khuong
From: Alan Crowe
Arne  Hanssen <·················@runbox.cm> writes:

> Hi, I'm trying to learn Lisp on a Clisp/Slime setup.
> Looking into the world of macros I try to input this macro to repl.
>
> (defmacro Square (X)
>    '(* ,X  ,X))
>
> Getting this answer....
>
> READ: comma is illegal outside of backquote
>    [Condition of type SYSTEM::SIMPLE-READER-ERROR]

There are two kinds of quote '`'`'`'`'`'

You've got the ordinary kind of quote '''''''
On my keyboard it is on the left sharing a key with @

You have to find backquote `````````
On my keyboard it is top left.

You've probably notice this already :-)