From: Vagif Verdi
Subject: tiff images and cl-pdf
Hello.
Is there a way to insert tiff image into pdf file using cl-pdf ?
I know that cl-pdf supports jpeg and png. But could not find any info
regarding tiff.
If it is not possible, is there a library to read tiff images and
possibly convert them to other format ?
I know about non lisp libraries like ImageMagik, but want pure lisp
solution like jpeg and png files.

From: Ken Tilton
Subject: Re: tiff images and cl-pdf
Vagif Verdi wrote:
> I know about non lisp libraries like ImageMagik, but want pure lisp
> solution like jpeg and png files.

I know I am going to regret this, but what is wrong with using a C
library? I recommend, GraphicsMagick, btw, if you decide to sully
yourself with "non pure Lisp".

:)

ken

From: Vagif Verdi
Ken Tilton wrote:
> I know I am going to regret this, but what is wrong with using a C
> library? I recommend, GraphicsMagick, btw, if you decide to sully
> yourself with "non pure Lisp".

Nothing wrong. Just additional deployment requirement i'm trying to
avoid.
But i'd take anything. Would it work with cl-pdf ?
I need to create pdfs with lot's of tiff images and table of contents,
chapters, outline etc.
cl-pdf does everything i need except tiff files.
So is it possible to use GraphicsMagick with cl-pdf ?
From: GP lisper
On 25 Sep 2006 00:01:01 -0700, <···········@gmail.com> wrote:

> So is it possible to use GraphicsMagick with cl-pdf ?

sure

--
Reply-To email is ignored.

Vagif Verdi wrote:
> Ken Tilton wrote:
>
>>I know I am going to regret this, but what is wrong with using a C
>>library? I recommend, GraphicsMagick, btw, if you decide to sully
>>yourself with "non pure Lisp".
>

> Nothing wrong. Just additional deployment requirement i'm trying to
> avoid.

I 'spose. But if you are writing an installer /anyway/, why cripple the
entire development process by ruling out C libs? That's my mileage anyway.

> But i'd take anything. Would it work with cl-pdf ?

Well, ahem, the two would never meet. You would grab cl-magick* from
c-l.net (another project that stole a name from me <g>) and Just Convert
Your Tiffs. On the fly if you like. Then you point cl-pdf at the JPEG
versions.

> I need to create pdfs with lot's of tiff images and table of contents,
> chapters, outline etc.
> cl-pdf does everything i need except tiff files.
> So is it possible to use GraphicsMagick with cl-pdf ?

Again, yes, GM is great, no, cl-pdf is not involved. Unless you make a
nice little "import" contrib to cl-pdf and Marc accepts, the TIFF->JPEG
conversion happens earlier in the pipeline and cl-pdf never sees a TIFF
pathname.

hth, kt

* I have no idea if the cl-magick project on c-l.net is any good, so
that is not a recommendation, just a lead. I have IM/GM bindings in a
cl-magick directory under my Cello project on c-l.net, use 'em every day
and welcome bug reports. k

From: Vagif Verdi
Ken Tilton wrote:
> Well, ahem, the two would never meet. You would grab cl-magick* from
> c-l.net (another project that stole a name from me <g>) and Just Convert
> Your Tiffs. On the fly if you like. Then you point cl-pdf at the JPEG
> versions.

Considering that i have to create hundreds pdfs daily, each having from
100 to 10000 tiff pages, intermediate convert to jpg will double the
pdf creation time.

I'll try anyway. Hopefully i'm wrong in my estimations.
From: GP lisper
On 25 Sep 2006 10:56:16 -0700, <···········@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ken Tilton wrote:
>> Well, ahem, the two would never meet. You would grab cl-magick* from
>> c-l.net (another project that stole a name from me <g>) and Just Convert
>> Your Tiffs. On the fly if you like. Then you point cl-pdf at the JPEG
>> versions.
>>

> Considering that i have to create hundreds pdfs daily, each having from
> 100 to 10000 tiff pages, intermediate convert to jpg will double the
> pdf creation time.

gee, back the problem up and don't make tiffs

or learn the system interface in your lisp and make them on the fly
i.e.,

CMUCL
  (with-open-stream (quotes (ext:process-output
			     (ext:run-program "foo" ....

--
Reply-To email is ignored.

GP lisper wrote:
> gee, back the problem up and don't make tiffs

I do not make tiffs. I get them from external source. No choice here.
From: Ken Tilton
Vagif Verdi wrote:
> Ken Tilton wrote:
>
>>Well, ahem, the two would never meet. You would grab cl-magick* from
>>c-l.net (another project that stole a name from me <g>) and Just Convert
>>Your Tiffs. On the fly if you like. Then you point cl-pdf at the JPEG
>>versions.
>>

> Considering that i have to create hundreds pdfs daily, each having from
> 100 to 10000 tiff pages, intermediate convert to jpg will double the
> pdf creation time.

I think I have misled you: GM also creates PDF.

    http://www.graphicsmagick.org/

Does that help? But then you are still pulling that into the larger PDF,
and JPEG might be faster. I have no clue how efficient is a PDF version
of a TIFF.

Or are you hoping PDF (never mind cl-pdf) can handle TIFF directly? I
did not think the latter was possible. If it is (a) I am puzzled by all
those TIFF-to-PDF utilities Google turns up <g> and (b) of course cl-pdf
can handle it (it just writes PDF code), though you might have to do a
small contrib if cl-pdf happens not to support that precise syntax.

BTW, if GM is too big a hammer (it is comprised of quite a few DLLs) you
might want to look for a dedicated TIFF-to-PDF converter.

Sorry for suggesting intermediate conversion to JPG was necessary.

kt

From: Vagif Verdi
Ken Tilton wrote:

>     http://www.graphicsmagick.org/

Where can i find lisp libraries for graphicsmagick ?
The only one I found on common-lisp.net is for imagemagick.
Are these two the same ?
From: Ken Tilton
Vagif Verdi wrote:
> Ken Tilton wrote:
>
>>    http://www.graphicsmagick.org/
>>

> Where can i find lisp libraries for graphicsmagick ?
> The only one I found on common-lisp.net is for imagemagick.
> Are these two the same ?

Absolutely. Me and the Cello co-developer (on another OS) both swapped
GM in for IM to solve the same bug in IM. Just pointed the CFFI code at
GM instead of IM.

kt