From: jronald
Subject: How to distinguish gobal and local variables in lisp?
It's said setq-default will set the global one why both global and local
variable are there. This is absolute, but I don't know setq.
Usually, setq appears in a file without in any parentheses. Does it mean it
is awlays set the global varaible then? In lisp, is a variable which is
declared in parentheses is called a local varaible only?

From: Kaz Kylheku
jronald wrote:
> It's said setq-default

There is no such function as SETQ-DEFAULT.

> will set the global one why both global and local
> variable are there. This is absolute, but I don't know setq.
> Usually, setq appears in a file without in any parentheses. Does it mean it
> is awlays set the global varaible then? In lisp, is a variable which is
> declared in parentheses is called a local varaible only?

Hmm, you call yourself "jronald", so I don't suspect you are an ESL
student.

You'll never get a software job if you write like this in your resume,
cover letter and e-mail correspondence.
From: jronald
"Kaz Kylheku" <········@gmail.com>
·······························@i3g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...
> jronald wrote:
>> It's said setq-default
>
> There is no such function as SETQ-DEFAULT.
>
>> will set the global one why both global and local
>> variable are there. This is absolute, but I don't know setq.
>> Usually, setq appears in a file without in any parentheses. Does it mean
>> it
>> is awlays set the global varaible then? In lisp, is a variable which is
>> declared in parentheses is called a local varaible only?
>
> Hmm, you call yourself "jronald", so I don't suspect you are an ESL
> student.
English is second language.
Do you mean I should set paragraphs at least?

From: jronald
From: Ken Tilton
jronald wrote:
>>>Hmm, you call yourself "jronald", so I don't suspect you are an ESL
>>>student.
>>
>>English is second language.
>
> Sorry, it shoud be"English is my 2nd language."

Sorry, that should be "Sorry, that should be \"English is my second
language\"".

:)

ken

From: verec
On 2006-09-21 20:26:22 +0100, Ken Tilton <·········@gmail.com> said:

> Sorry, that should be "Sorry, that should be \"English is my second
> language\"".

Since when has "\" been part of English (as opposed to Computerese :-) ?
--
JFB
From: Pascal Bourguignon
verec <·····@mac.com> writes:

> On 2006-09-21 20:26:22 +0100, Ken Tilton <·········@gmail.com> said:
>
>> Sorry, that should be "Sorry, that should be \"English is my second
>> language\"".
>
> Since when has "\" been part of English (as opposed to Computerese :-) ?

Indeed.  He should have written: «Sorry, that should be “Sorry, that
should be ‘English is my second language’”».

But since we're in c.l.l., \" is acceptable, I think.

PLEASE NOTE: Some quantum physics theories suggest that when the
consumer is not directly observing this product, it may cease to
exist or will exist only in a vague and undetermined state.
From: jronald
> Hmm, you call yourself "jronald", so I don't suspect you are an ESL

I've read it again, and find it really poor. Hope my english will be better.

Thank you all the same.
From: Pascal Bourguignon
"jronald" <·········@163.com> writes:

> It's said setq-default will set the global one why both global and local
> variable are there. This is absolute, but I don't know setq.
> Usually, setq appears in a file without in any parentheses. Does it mean it
> is awlays set the global varaible then? In lisp, is a variable which is
> declared in parentheses is called a local varaible only?

This is an emacs lisp question, it would be better answered in
news:comp.emacs or news:gnu.emacs.help.

You're not making much sense.  What do you mean by "but I don't know setq."?

setq almost never appears in files without parentheses.

In any case, when it appears in a file without parentheses, it doesn't
set anything.

In lisp, variables aren't declared by the parentheses. They are
declared by defvar (or defparameter in Common Lisp).

Perhaps you should read the emacs lisp introduction. Type:

(info "(emacs-lisp-intro)") C-x C-e

or:

C-h i d m emacs lisp intro RET

From: jronald
From: Thomas A. Russ
"jronald" <·········@163.com> writes:

> It's said setq-default will set the global one why both global and local
> variable are there. This is absolute, but I don't know setq.
> Usually, setq appears in a file without in any parentheses. Does it mean it
> is awlays set the global varaible then? In lisp, is a variable which is
> declared in parentheses is called a local varaible only?

This sounds like an Emacs-Lisp question, regarding global or buffer
local variables.

I suggest you get the documentation for Emacs lisp and look it up there.