From: Lei Tang
Subject: Is there any memory/time constraint to run a lisp program?
My program, which tries to solve a problem in large search space, just
failed. I use lisp in a box. The only ouput is Evaluation aborted after
a long time run. I guess there's some bug with the code, but it works
fine for  smaller scenario.   So I am wondering whether or not there's
any constraint to run the lisp code in CLISP? Just in case.

Thanks!
-Lei

---------------------------
From: Pascal Bourguignon
Lei Tang <······@asu.edu> writes:

> My program, which tries to solve a problem in large search space, just
> failed. I use lisp in a box. The only ouput is Evaluation aborted after
> a long time run. I guess there's some bug with the code, but it works
> fine for  smaller scenario.   So I am wondering whether or not there's
> any constraint to run the lisp code in CLISP? Just in case.

The OS itself may impose some limit on resource usage by user programs.

man ulimit

Here is for example my ulimit -a outpout:

[···@thalassa pjb]$ ulimit -a
core file size        (blocks, -c) 0
data seg size         (kbytes, -d) unlimited
file size             (blocks, -f) unlimited
max locked memory     (kbytes, -l) 32
max memory size       (kbytes, -m) unlimited
open files                    (-n) 1024
pipe size          (512 bytes, -p) 8
stack size            (kbytes, -s) unlimited
cpu time             (seconds, -t) unlimited
max user processes            (-u) 8191
virtual memory        (kbytes, -v) unlimited

clisp can manage more than 512 MB of heap and has no intrinsic time limit.

"This statement is false."            In Lisp: (defun Q () (eq nil (Q)))