From: Chaitanya Gupta
Subject: cmucl-help down?
I have been trying to post a query to the CMUCL mailing list
(cmucl-help) for the last few days, but couldn't. What's wrong with it?
Where else can I ask for help related to CMUCL?

Thanks,
Chaitanya

From: Rob Warnock
Subject: Re: cmucl-help down?
Chaitanya Gupta <····@chaitanyagupta.com> wrote:
+---------------
| Where else can I ask for help related to CMUCL?
+---------------

Here?

-Rob

-----
Rob Warnock			<····@rpw3.org>
627 26th Avenue			<URL:http://rpw3.org/>
San Mateo, CA 94403		(650)572-2607
From: Chaitanya Gupta
Rob Warnock wrote:
> Chaitanya Gupta <····@chaitanyagupta.com> wrote:
now.

Otherwise, of course, "here" I'll post it.

Chaitanya
From: Paolo Amoroso
"Chaitanya Gupta" <····@chaitanyagupta.com> writes:

> I have been trying to post a query to the CMUCL mailing list
> (cmucl-help) for the last few days, but couldn't. What's wrong with it?
> Where else can I ask for help related to CMUCL?

Posting to the CMUCL mailing lists has been restricted to
subscribers because the amount of spam was intolerable.

Paolo
--
Why Lisp? http://wiki.alu.org/RtL%20Highlight%20Film
The Common Lisp Directory: http://www.cl-user.net
From: Chaitanya Gupta
Paolo Amoroso wrote:

> Posting to the CMUCL mailing lists has been restricted to
> subscribers because the amount of spam was intolerable.

I am subscribed to the list. Anyway, its working now, so there's no
problem.

Chaitanya
From: dpapathanasiou
I had the same problem yesterday -- after subscribing to
gmane.lisp.cmucl.general and going through the Gmane Autoauthorizer, I
got a message back saying "The original message you sent to the
newsgroup will be posted within ten minutes."

But it's been more than 1 day now, and I don't see my post.

Should I just re-try it now?
From: Chaitanya Gupta
dpapathanasiou wrote:
> I had the same problem yesterday -- after subscribing to
> gmane.lisp.cmucl.general and going through the Gmane Autoauthorizer, I
> got a message back saying "The original message you sent to the
> newsgroup will be posted within ten minutes."
>
> But it's been more than 1 day now, and I don't see my post.
>
> Should I just re-try it now?

It worked for me. It should also work for you. I don't use Gmane,
though.

Chaitanya
From: dpapathanasiou
> It worked for me. It should also work for you.

Yes, I saw your post -- "1000 socket connections send GC in an infinite
loop" -- on gmane.lisp.cmucl.general dated today.

> I don't use Gmane, though.

When you say you didn't use Gmane, do you mean that you didn't use the
form at http://post.gmane.org/post.php?group=gmane.lisp.cmucl.general ?

If so, then how else can you post messages and replies to
gmane.lisp.cmucl.general ?
From: Chaitanya Gupta
dpapathanasiou wrote:

> When you say you didn't use Gmane, do you mean that you didn't use the
> form at http://post.gmane.org/post.php?group=gmane.lisp.cmucl.general ?
>
> If so, then how else can you post messages and replies to
> gmane.lisp.cmucl.general ?

I send my messages to the mailing list's email address - (cmucl-help at
cons dot org). Did you subscribe by sending a request at
(cmucl-help-request at cons dot org)?
Read this - http://www.cons.org/cmucl/support.html

Chaitanya
From: dpapathanasiou
Hi Chaitanya,

In the attempt that worked, did you notice any significant time between
emailing cmucl-help at cons dot org and actually seeing your post
appear at http://news.gmane.org/gmane.lisp.cmucl.general ?

I've tried it both ways now -- first by filling out the form at
http://post.gmane.org/post.php?group=gmane.lisp.cmucl.general then by
emailing cmucl-help at cons dot org (and yes, I have subscribed by
emailing cmucl-help-request at cons dot org) -- but still haven't seen
it appear.

From: Chaitanya Gupta
dpapathanasiou wrote:
> In the attempt that worked, did you notice any significant time between
> emailing cmucl-help at cons dot org and actually seeing your post
> appear at http://news.gmane.org/gmane.lisp.cmucl.general ?

I don't read any messages from gmane. Once you are subscribed to the
mailing list, you should get all the messages in your mailbox. I don't
think there was any significant time difference between my sending the
message and it appearing on the list.

> I've tried it both ways now -- first by filling out the form at
> http://post.gmane.org/post.php?group=gmane.lisp.cmucl.general then by
> emailing cmucl-help at cons dot org (and yes, I have subscribed by
> emailing cmucl-help-request at cons dot org) -- but still haven't seen
> it appear.

I saw your post in the list, and also Raymond Toy's reply. :)

Chaitanya
From: dpapathanasiou
Hi Chaitanya,

Yes, it (finally) showed up there.  Thanks for all the replies.

From: Rob Thorpe
dpapathanasiou wrote:
> I had the same problem yesterday -- after subscribing to
> gmane.lisp.cmucl.general and going through the Gmane Autoauthorizer, I
> got a message back saying "The original message you sent to the
> newsgroup will be posted within ten minutes."
>
> But it's been more than 1 day now, and I don't see my post.
>
> Should I just re-try it now?

I think so.

There seem to have been quite a few denial of service attacks in the
last few days.  So servers are being overloaded with traffic, or the
people securing them are doing so in a  paranoid fashion blocking
legitimate traffic.
From: dpapathanasiou
How long does a post take to sappear?  Is there a human moderator
involved?

I just reposted 30 minutes -- I'm using the form at
http://post.gmane.org/post.php?group=gmane.lisp.cmucl.general (is there
another way to do it?) -- but I still don't see it on
gmane.lisp.cmucl.general yet.

From: Juho Snellman
dpapathanasiou <···················@gmail.com> wrote:
> How long does a post take to appear?  Is there a human moderator
> involved?

As has been mentioned in this thread, the list is closed to
non-subscribers. This probably also applies when posting through
gmane.

--
Juho Snellman
From: dpapathanasiou
I am a subscriber

From: Juho Snellman
dpapathanasiou <···················@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am a subscriber

(Please don't top-post.)

To clarify, you must subscribe to the mailing list. From your other
messages in this thread I'm getting the impression that you've only
subscribed to the group on gmane.

If you are already subscribed to the list as well and your posts
through gmane aren't getting to the list, perhaps you could try
sending the message via email.

--
Juho Snellman
From: dpapathanasiou
Yes, I'm subscribed to the list as well, and no, sending the message
via email doesn't work either.

Chaitanya's post is the only new one there in over 9 hours, so I wonder
if the list isn't broken again.