From: jmckitrick
Subject: Question about Lemonodor (still pro-Lisp?)
Is Lemonodor still pro-Lisp?  Or is it sort of gravitating toward other
technologies, and just remembering Lisp as a rather quaint, esoteric
language that doesn't fit as well with modern technology compared to
several other approaches?

From: Thomas F. Burdick
Subject: Re: Question about Lemonodor (still pro-Lisp?)
"jmckitrick" <···········@yahoo.com> writes:

> Is Lemonodor still pro-Lisp?  Or is it sort of gravitating toward other
> technologies, and just remembering Lisp as a rather quaint, esoteric
> language that doesn't fit as well with modern technology compared to
> several other approaches?

Don't you have anything better to do?
From: jmckitrick
Thomas F. Burdick wrote:
> "jmckitrick" <···········@yahoo.com> writes:
>
> > Is Lemonodor still pro-Lisp?  Or is it sort of gravitating toward other
> > technologies, and just remembering Lisp as a rather quaint, esoteric
> > language that doesn't fit as well with modern technology compared to
> > several other approaches?
>
> Don't you have anything better to do?

In between shooting scenes at my adult film entertainment company,
'Buster Hyman Productions', I like to keep tabs on the CL community and
post messages to c.l.l. to pass the time.
From: Jack Unrue
On 11 Sep 2006 19:58:57 -0700, "jmckitrick" <···········@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Is Lemonodor still pro-Lisp?  Or is it sort of gravitating toward other
> technologies, and just remembering Lisp as a rather quaint, esoteric
> language that doesn't fit as well with modern technology compared to
> several other approaches?

OK, I'll bite.

Reviewing the last dozen-or-more entries, I'm not sure how anyone
would draw solid conclusions about John Wiseman's programming
language preferences, but clearly his blog subtitle does still say
"A mostly Lisp weblog by John Wiseman" and it does have occasional
Lisp content sprinkled throughout. He (or some nefarious imposter
that has appropriated the lemonodor nick) remains active on #lisp.

I know you didn't ask for my opinion, but just the same, I am
happy that I've switched to Common Lisp (after careers in Java
and C++). I'm learning more every day, making good progress on
my UI library, and just plain having a ball with it. So there!

--
Jack Unrue
http://common-lisp.net/project/graphic-forms
From: jmckitrick
Jack Unrue wrote:
> I know you didn't ask for my opinion, but just the same, I am
> happy that I've switched to Common Lisp (after careers in Java
> and C++). I'm learning more every day, making good progress on
> my UI library, and just plain having a ball with it. So there!

Hey, that's great.  I'm a former C/C++ developer myself, just starting
a new web app career with CL.  And I'm loving it as well.

I do have to say, however, I'm glad I didn't have to worry about a GUI
toolkit for my current project.
From: Tayssir John Gabbour
jmckitrick wrote:
> Jack Unrue wrote:
> > I know you didn't ask for my opinion, but just the same, I am
> > happy that I've switched to Common Lisp (after careers in Java
> > and C++). I'm learning more every day, making good progress on
> > my UI library, and just plain having a ball with it. So there!
>
> Hey, that's great.  I'm a former C/C++ developer myself, just starting
> a new web app career with CL.  And I'm loving it as well.
>
> I do have to say, however, I'm glad I didn't have to worry about a GUI
> toolkit for my current project.

You don't have to, unless your constraints preclude something like
Lispworks' CAPI. (Which may be the case; I wouldn't know.)

Tayssir
From: Ken Tilton
Tayssir John Gabbour wrote:
> jmckitrick wrote:
>
>>Jack Unrue wrote:
>>
>>>I know you didn't ask for my opinion, but just the same, I am
>>>happy that I've switched to Common Lisp (after careers in Java
>>>and C++). I'm learning more every day, making good progress on
>>>my UI library, and just plain having a ball with it. So there!
>>
>>Hey, that's great.  I'm a former C/C++ developer myself, just starting
>>a new web app career with CL.  And I'm loving it as well.
>>
>>I do have to say, however, I'm glad I didn't have to worry about a GUI
>>toolkit for my current project.
>

> You don't have to, unless your constraints preclude something like
> Lispworks' CAPI.

Or LTk or Cells-Gtk or Celtk or Cello. Hey, how's that SDL-based app
builder project coming?

  :)

kt