From: NIck
Subject: lisp image reader + making executables
Hi all,

Im taking a digital image processing class and an assignment given was
to write a runlength encoder for gray scale images in any language. I
wrote a runlength encoding alg. in lisp before and wanted to use it.
Questions:

1. Is there an image loader in Lisp that I can use to load the image
and have a (possibly) list with the grayscale values?
2. How can I create an executable so that I can just turn it in. (They
dont have lisp running in the machines in school). Is it even possible
to do this? i.e create an executable that will run independent of
operating system?

I write lisp in CLISP + Slime - but the graders dont have CLISP, the
grading is done on Unix machines.

Thanks

Nick K.

From: Stephen Compall
Subject: Re: lisp image reader + making executables
NIck wrote:
> 2. How can I create an executable so that I can just turn it in. (They
> dont have lisp running in the machines in school). Is it even possible
> to do this? i.e create an executable that will run independent of
> operating system?

Creating an executable for the system on which CLISP is running is
easy.  I assume you are saying that you are running NotUnix, and the
graders are running Unix.  In this case, the answer is no, unless you
are willing to do a great deal more work on hacking CLISP, or convince
the makers of NotUnix to be GNU-compatible at the binary level.  I
suggest the former; it will probably be easier.

--
Stephen Compall
http://scompall.nocandysw.com/blog
From: Paolo Amoroso
"NIck" <·········@gmail.com> writes:

> 1. Is there an image loader in Lisp that I can use to load the image
> and have a (possibly) list with the grayscale values?

These libraries may help:

  http://www.cl-user.net/asp/search?search=jpeg

> 2. How can I create an executable so that I can just turn it in. (They
[...]
> I write lisp in CLISP + Slime - but the graders dont have CLISP, the
> grading is done on Unix machines.

See:

  http://clisp.cons.org/impnotes/quickstart.html

Paolo