From: rd
Subject: Unable to load foreign library: X with cells-gtk-2006-06-30, SBCL,  and FreeBSD
I'm very inexperienced with Lisp, and I'm trying to
poke around with cells-gtk.

I'm using SBCL-0.9.0 on FreeBSD6, installed from the
ports system.  I downloaded cells-gtk-2006-06-30 and
followed the INSTALL instructions.

The test TEST-GTK:GTK-DEMO fails with one of the two
following errors (they alternate):

     Unable to load foreign library: libgthread-2.0.so
     Unable to load foreign library: libglib-2.0.so

I manually did

     (cffi:load-foreign-library :GLIB)

and it returned T, although it complains about undefined
aliens.  After I did this, GTK-DEMO will only fail because
it can't load libgthread.

All of these libraries are in /usr/local/lib.  Any help
would be appreciated.
From: Ken Tilton
rd wrote:

> I'm very inexperienced with Lisp, and I'm trying to
> poke around with cells-gtk.
>
> I'm using SBCL-0.9.0 on FreeBSD6, installed from the
> ports system.  I downloaded cells-gtk-2006-06-30 and
> followed the INSTALL instructions.
>
> The test TEST-GTK:GTK-DEMO fails with one of the two
> following errors (they alternate):
>
>     Unable to load foreign library: libgthread-2.0.so
>     Unable to load foreign library: libglib-2.0.so
>

> I manually did
>
>     (cffi:load-foreign-library :GLIB)
>
> and it returned T, although it complains about undefined
> aliens.  After I did this, GTK-DEMO will only fail because
> it can't load libgthread.
>
> All of these libraries are in /usr/local/lib.  Any help
> would be appreciated.

I am afraid I do not know much about loading dynamic libs on *nix, but
if no one here can get you sorted out, you might try the mailing list
for cells-gtk, a link to which can be found at the bottom of this page:

    http://common-lisp.net/project/cells-gtk/

Good help available there, but this may be more of a foreign-library
issue, in which case you might want to ask on a mailing list reached
from here:

    http://common-lisp.net/project/cffi/

hth, kenny