From: ······@gmail.com
Subject: htmlize program error report: ^L gen invalid html
Program Error Report: htmlize with form feed char produces invalid html

There is a bug with the htmlize.el module written by Hrvoje Niksic
(hniksic at xemacs.org) .

Synopsis: if the source contains the form feed char ^L, then htmlize
will produce this code:

^L
<hr />

inside a <pre> enclosure. This is invalid html code. HTML does not
allow control characters, and HTML uses <hr>, not <hr />, and the hr
cannot be inside <pre>.

Suggested solution:

--------------
Note: htmlize is a module included with emacs version 22. It takes a
source code of any language and generates HTML of the source code with
syntax coloring. Sample output:
http://xahlee.org/emacs/emacs_init.html
http://xahlee.org/perl-python/find_replace.html
http://xahlee.org/java-a-day/ex_complex.html

  Xah
  ···@xahlee.org
∑ http://xahlee.org/
From: Rob Thorpe
······@gmail.com wrote:
> Program Error Report: htmlize with form feed char produces invalid html
>
> There is a bug with the htmlize.el module written by Hrvoje Niksic
> (hniksic at xemacs.org) .
>
> Synopsis: if the source contains the form feed char ^L, then htmlize
> will produce this code:
>
> ^L
> <hr />
>
> inside a <pre> enclosure. This is invalid html code. HTML does not
> allow control characters, and HTML uses <hr>, not <hr />, and the hr
> cannot be inside <pre>.
>
> Suggested solution:

Yes.  That's a pretty nasty problem actually.  <hr /> is XHTML I think.

The correct place to report Emacs bugs is gnu.emacs.bug, it also helps
to mention problems on gnu.emacs.help in case they aren't bugs.  The
GNU Emacs people seem to read comp.emacs less often.  But see below ...

> Note: htmlize is a module included with emacs version 22.

Is it included with GNU Emacs 22?  I can't find it in the current cvs
repo, I think it's probably been added to your distribution by the
distro vendor.

Try contacting Hrvoje Niksic directly with the email address given in
the htmlize.el source.